• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

I'm not sure why SuperSU isn't working as it should - have you tried manually re-installing the app (just the app, not the su binary).

Does a root checker app give you the all clear that you're rooted? If so I believe from memory there's an option somewhere in SuperSU for cleaning up to move to another super user management app. This might allow you to cleanly move to superuser without any problems. Hope I've remembered right and not sent you on a wild goose chase!

EDIT: just looked at my install of SuperSU and in the settings panel there's a section called "cleanup" offering the ability to reinsrall or switch to another super user app

Edited by flurry, 09 August 2014 - 07:08 AM.

smidoid

smidoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location:North of Watford ... yes, we speak English here too!
  • Devices:Hudl

Is there anyway to run this via windows?

If not could someone give me any help / advice.

Thanks.  :)

The best way to run this via Windows is to use a Live DVD (or CD) from one of the multitude of Linux distros. Linux Mint seems to be about the easiest to get going (other Ubuntu derivatives have trouble with some nVidia cards) and Mint will pretty much drive common hardware right out of the box. Doing it this way you get Linux but don't brick your Windows installation; and while I'm no fan of Windows, if it came with your machine, you don't want to break it!

It's a good introduction to desktop *Nix too - which is starting to find its feet after decades in the wilderness. Distros like Mint, Elementary, Ubuntu and Pinguy (all based on Ubuntu) and a few others are now providing a reasonably compatible alternative to Windows AND MacOS X that won't have users feeling like they're on Mars! 

Steveharr

Steveharr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

Hello,

I had my Hudl replaced because of a faulty screen. The Build Number of the new one is: JDQ39.20140424.153851

Can I root this one?

Steve.

smidoid

smidoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Yes - that's the latest build and I can confirm that I've done it myself.

Colour me boring, but I unrooted quite soon because I couldn't find any advantage to doing the root (for me, personally) as I disabled all the Google and Tesco functionality and just installed (and use) most of the tools I need from F-Droid's app store.

Steveharr

Steveharr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Which package did you use on that version?

Steveharr

Steveharr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Which package did you use on that version?

smidoid

smidoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Someone did a root script that you use on Linux box (or a virtual box or live CD/DVD)

It's pretty easy as it copies the existing system from the Hudl to store - which is why you're better using a Linux box or a Virtualbox (Windows/Mac)

It then makes a copy of the entire system image, roots that and copies it back to the Hudl - takes about 30 minutes but it's painless and can restore the system if something goes pear shaped.

I can't recall the link, so I'll look it out now.

smidoid

smidoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Steve, I can't find the original source - but here's a link to files you need. This is a "tar.gz" archive which any modern Linux can deal with automatically. All the instructions are on the README.txt within the archive. This is an unadulterated version and the read me contains all you need to know including the credits for the original exploits, etc.

https://www.dropbox....0oI6HpW9Ea?dl=0

Good luck - and make a backup just in case!

kemik777

kemik777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

The Dropbox link no longer works. Does anyone have the above files/script that they could share please?

Thanks

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Devices:hudl1/2, HTC One S, M8 Box
You could use the script / links in post #157 or are you after something different?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users