Stock Hudl ROM for RKTools [updated: latest available ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I have packaged up the full stock Hudl ROM (20130923.020558) into a package for flashing with the RKTools windows utility. MoDaCo member CaptainMidnight has also repackaged the newer version (20131016.200812) for your downloading please! :)

These should be useful if you want to return your device to stock state. I've flashed my device fine - you use this at your own risk of course.

• Image download (20130923.020558) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)- MD5: 530c3b6c69155e7ea0f2d1c6b995f845
  • Image download (20131016.200812) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)- MD5: f694ce21056260db8ae0e5cc9f1a4431
  • RKTools 1.7 download (drivers included) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)
To use, extract the tools and image zips, connect your device, press the reset pin while holding volume up and install drivers if prompted. Click the '...' button to load the image. Box 1 should be green as shown below, when it is, hit 'Restore' to flash your device.

P

rktoolshudl.png

• 3 weeks later...
Guest revomikey101

Hi all, first post, very valuable forum, thanks especially to you Paul, however, i am stuck, i failed miserably with the rooting, i ran linux mint only to realise that both of my pcs are 32bit and no good for that hack, so i went for the chinese version, which rooted, but i cant seem to get rids of the chinese su thing so here i am trying to reset it back to factory settings until a windows root comes out. i am new to android and thought it would allow me to remove the "bloatware" b ut i didnt realise it meant flashing, stripping and reflashing, i cant be bothered with that, i will wait for a custom rom.

I cant seem to get either of my pc's to accept any drivers from the hudl when i load up rktools, is this also for 64 bit machines as well? if it is is there a 32 bit version that i can reset back the original rom with?

Thanks guys.

Mike

If you did the Chinese method, just install super su from the play store. That will overwrite the Chinese one, which can then be uninstalled.

Worked a treat for me, but would recommend Root checker from the play store to be run at each stage just to ensure you have root.

Good luck!

Guest glossywhite

For all the messing about with SU apps and finding out what works etc, you could have just flashed Paul's /system partition 20x over - what a palava.

Guest revomikey101

Thanks guys, glossy, i wanted to do pauls version but both my pc's are 32bit and not suitable for that root, the Chinese root wasn't my first choice obviously.

Guest revomikey101

Thanks guys, glossy, i wanted to do pauls version but both my pc's are 32bit and not suitable for that root, the Chinese root wasn't my first choice obviously.

Guest glossywhite

I thought this image was to restore the hudl to factory state? It does not. I've just tried it, and yes - of course - it un-roots my hudl (not an issue) but all my data and apps, settings etc are still there...

Do we need to clear /data and /cache first, in recovery mode? It may be wise to make this crystal clear.

Thanks.

Well ROMs don't touch /data or /cache, so it's generally assumed that flashing a stock ROM won't wipe these by itself. A factory reset from the settings on the device itself after flashing the ROM should do that though, or else via recovery mode as you suggested.

Guest glossywhite

Well ROMs don't touch /data or /cache, so it's generally assumed that flashing a stock ROM won't wipe these by itself. A factory reset from the settings on the device itself after flashing the ROM should do that though, or else via recovery mode as you suggested.

Thanks, but this was not made clear, even as an experienced Android developer I was stumped for a while - maybe the assumption that all members know this, including newcomers, is not the best way - I'd add it there for the sake of redundancy, just in case (better it be there and repeated, than not at all). We have to remember that some members have only signed up and started their journey of device & Android hacking knowledge at the point when they purchase the hudl, and may have NO previous experience whatsoever. Assuming &/or implying that people should have to go wandering around Modaco & the general Android community to gain this unexplained knowledge of clearing partitions etc, is short-sighted at best, in my opinion.

I was expecting this (okay, in error) to be some sort of "TPT" (Total Phone Transfer) image, as used in other devices - again, yes - I was wrong, and should have remembered... but I'm human, and we err from time to time, especially us hardcore geeks with a billion numerical things to remember 24/7 :P

I managed to get it all sorted doing a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" method in the end - I won't deliberate too much, as it's a dangerous, low-level method and posting it is not wise for newcomers, as it involves "rkflashtools" and zeroing from the beginning - 0x00000000 to 0x01000000 and then installing this ROM, which worked, thankfully.

Edited by glossywhite

I managed to get it all sorted doing a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" method in the end - I won't deliberate too much, as it's a dangerous, low-level method and posting it is not wise for newcomers, as it involves "rkflashtools" and zeroing from the beginning - 0x00000000 to 0x01000000 and then installing this ROM, which worked, thankfully.

That sounds like a simply awful idea, I am rather surprised your device functions after that. There are so many better ways to go about it. Such as wiping from recovery. (There's a CWM recovery img available [within the one custom ROM currently released], just stick that into this ROM and flash and then you have stock with custom recovery)

(I am curious as to whether a ROM containing only the recovery image would flash with RKTools, leaving the already present ROM + CWM recovery, but lacking a Hudl myself I can't try it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else for fear of bricking their device [although it should certainly be recoverable with RKTools and this stock ROM] - were it to work, you could then simply flash a SuperSU zip and be rooted that way, as yet another option for initial root).

EDIT: And I realise not everyone is experienced with Android etc., there is a bit of a learning curve involved. A little note in the OP might be nice. Stuff that I am mentioning here (inserting recovery img from one ROM to another etc.) obviously isn't for the completely inexperienced, although it shouldn't be especially difficult with tools posted in this forum. 

Edited by SifJar

Guest glossywhite

That sounds like a simply awful idea, I am rather surprised your device functions after that. There are so many better ways to go about it. Such as wiping from recovery. (There's a CWM recovery img available [within the one custom ROM currently released], just stick that into this ROM and flash and then you have stock with custom recovery)

(I am curious as to whether a ROM containing only the recovery image would flash with RKTools, leaving the already present ROM + CWM recovery, but lacking a Hudl myself I can't try it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else for fear of bricking their device [although it should certainly be recoverable with RKTools and this stock ROM] - were it to work, you could then simply flash a SuperSU zip and be rooted that way, as yet another option for initial root).

EDIT: And I realise not everyone is experienced with Android etc., there is a bit of a learning curve involved. A little note in the OP might be nice. Stuff that I am mentioning here (inserting recovery img from one ROM to another etc.) obviously isn't for the completely inexperienced, although it shouldn't be especially difficult with tools posted in this forum. 

I don't suffer from "fear" when erasing chips on a cheap consumer electronic device which only cost me 119 quid, but I see what you mean. You have to step out and have some courage in the electronics world - don't be a baby and cry if something gets bricked - that's life, and ya don't learn unless you mess up, and are then able to use that as an incentive to learn and fix it too.

I value many, many things in life far more than a mere electronic toy, which is all this is - let's be honest, and I have 100% faith in my abilities and skills to revive so-called "dead" or "bricked" devices - that doesn't phase me at all - why would it - I can live without something the existance of which I didn't even know about, until I saw it on Modaco - it's hardly a life support machine.  :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest hippy dave

I am curious as to whether a ROM containing only the recovery image would flash with RKTools, leaving the already present ROM + CWM

You can use rktools to flash the recovery.img itself to the right area of flash memory, it doesn't need to be contained within a dummy rom and it leaves everything else intact.

You can use rktools to flash the recovery.img itself to the right area of flash memory, it doesn't need to be contained within a dummy rom and it leaves everything else intact.

Cool. I thought that sort of thing was only possible with rkflashtool. Thanks for the info, guess I have my root method sorted for when I get my Hudl then :)

Oh crap, I did mean rkflashtool. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah. Well that's Linux only AFAIK, and my thoughts as to if it would be possible with RKTools were with Windows users in mind. Thanks anyway.

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Hi all, I've just been given 2 of these tabs to root and have run into problems! Basically, they came to me stock so I thought 'great, flash the rooted stock rom with RKtools' so, I did that and after it was done it told me there was a 1.3 update which I tried to download but in CWM it threw up an error! So, after trying a couple of times unsuccesfully I flashed the stock rom in this post to try the Kingo rooting method but again I get stuck at the 1.3 update screen and this time when it restarts I get an android on screen with a yellow triangle which has an exclamation mark in it! So, something obviously isn't being put back to stock with the above rom! Why on earth would Tesco force people to update, it should be the persons own choice if they do or not!

Anyway, does anyone have the 1.3 full stock rom available to download anywhere? At least from there it would bypass the stupid update screen! If not then does anyone have any ideas what to try next or know of any ways to bypass the lock screen? I'm seriously at a loss what to try now because I can only see it causing more problems if I keep at it!

Many thanks in advance

What was the error in CWM? Saying "there was an error", but not giving details isn't overly helpful I'm afraid. It's possible we may be able to help you overcome that error and flash the 1.3 update with CWM.

Guest h4x0rm1k3

I'll find out for you, give me 10 mins and i'll be back. @Glossywhite, how are they not forcing you? There's no way around NOT updating therefore they ARE forcing you to update otherwise i'd have just ignored it and gone about my business rooting! I never said I tried to manually download update 1.3, I said that when I turned the HUDL back on that it asked me to update to 1.3 after the wifi key entry screen, there's no other button or anything else you can do apart from click on the download button! Try for yourself and then tell me i'm wrong!

Guest h4x0rm1k3

CWM based recovery modified by androtab.info v6.0.3.1

E:Invalid command argument

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

It also has the usual loads of No's with one Yes - Install untrusted zip with options to go back.

I've also tried resetting file permissions too but nothing! with the following extra error -

Installing update...

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "ht7s3" II            getprop("ro.build.product"

) == "ht7s3"

E: Error in /cache/update.zip

(status 7)

Installation aborted

This is with the Tabbiedroid rom with CWM. With the stock rom from this thread all I get is a standard 'error' only with no other info!

Hope this helps someone resolve this issue! I did notice someone had made a thread earlier with the 16mb 1.3 update file so maybe someone can do something with that, doubt it though 'cos no way to install it with no way to install from external SD Card!