how safe it is to change rom? (xinyh memory)

Guest Wellus

so year ago i bought G300 and after half year i flashed my phone with custom rom, because in my country updates never come... at least for cheap phones. I was using few jb versions, mostly cm, later on switched to ics, so now i want to move on to slim ics, but there was a post about faulty memory, which causes devices to die. So yes i have that "xinyh" memory. If i change my rom will my phone die, or this dying is unpredictable? I still have my warranty, if it will fry up i hope they won't see that phone was flashed and rooted, then i guess i will have memory replaced. But still i don't really want it to die, because i won't have any phone anymore(have nokia 5800 but somethings wrong with it, if i put in sim it will randomly die and won't turn on for a few days).

Guest ahatomastarday

Deaths of phones with that memory seem to be related to the new 3.4 kernel that Dazzozo included in the latest nightly builds of CM 10.2 (those problematic builds are now deleted from the server). So if you want to be more or less safe, stay away from that kernel. Other than that, it looks like flashing ROMs on your device shouldn't be riskier that doing so in phones with the other kind of memory. Flashing unofficial ROMs itself is always a risky procedure that can lead to a bricked device, though, no matter how apparently safe a custom ROM is. But hey I guess you already know that.

The current suspicion seems to be that a G300 with Hynix eMMC may be susceptible to dying spontaneously regardless of what ROM/kernel you run - but the 3.4 kernel/ROM/recovery may speed this failure up.

On that basis if you have Hynix then you should read this:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366014-a-warning-to-all-g300-owners-please-read-hynix-flash-memory-problem/

Edited by dalyer

hmm i see, well i am thinking only about GB or ICS, i don't really need those fancy customs, as long as i can listen to music and use browser at same time it is good enough, I have lightning rom now, which can survive whole week without charging, but it looks like i can't use browser and listen to music at same time and mostly awesome beats crashes a lot.

hmm i see, well i am thinking only about GB or ICS, i don't really need those fancy customs, as long as i can listen to music and use browser at same time it is good enough, I have lightning rom now, which can survive whole week without charging, but it looks like i can't use browser and listen to music at same time and mostly awesome beats crashes a lot.

I'd recommend GB so:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366060-gb236/#entry2168279

How do you manage a week without charging though?!?!?

Do you actually make any calls, use wifi, data etc.?

Edited by dalyer

constant music mostly and lifetime is varied between 4 days to week, everyday i write messages and listen to music, if phone survives 4 days then it's because of i am playing gameboy advanced games or any other emulator(for me android games kinda sucks, mostly)

i guess i'll try superslim then

Huawei don't use world beating hardware so, it depends on the user to take the risk to flash or not to flash. The good news is, Huawei is not too bothered with rooting or custom ROMs. When my phone died with a dead motherboard, it was on Stock+ and I got a fixed phone a couple of weeks later with no questions asked. As per a lot of other users, they have sent bricked devices to Huawei with custom ROMs, aftermarket recovery and they got back their phone in working condition.

Edited by smweb

well at my country there is one company who is responsible for all warranty repairs(at least for my carrier) and they are kinda strict with all flashing stuff, although i did non warranty fixes there and they fixed previous phones perfectly

dalyer, about superslim, as i know it is gingerbread, i saw somewhere that you should do something about downgrading, because some ppl had problems with going from ics/jb to gb, is it the same with superslim or i can just copy zip to phone and flash it ordinary way?

dalyer, about superslim, as i know it is gingerbread, i saw somewhere that you should do something about downgrading, because some ppl had problems with going from ics/jb to gb, is it the same with superslim or i can just copy zip to phone and flash it ordinary way?

I downgraded to the old baseband and GB bootloader just because I didn't want to go to the bother of doing the official ICS bootloader unlock. 

But that is not necessary and slim/superslim/AtomicMod will run on the 2030 baseband if you have it.

If you have the ICS bootloader installed then you might want to make sure that it's unlocked officially to avoid 3G reboots if applicable.

I downgraded using this:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/361310-downgrade-upgrade-from-recovery/

well at my country there is one company who is responsible for all warranty repairs(at least for my carrier) and they are kinda strict with all flashing stuff, although i did non warranty fixes there and they fixed previous phones perfectly

Atomic / Supeslim GB / Slim GB should work fine on 2030 baseband as long as you have an officially unlock bootloader - be sure to read the instructions in the first post. And as dalyer said if you are not facing any issues (mainly 3G connectivity and random reboots) with the hacked bootloader, don't bother changing it.

hmm i've had 3G reboots only with jb and everythings fine with ics, don't really have time for official unlocking, i saw guide and it was quite long

Unlocking officially with the code isn't that hard -- think it took a minute or two for me.

Edited by smweb

And if you're going to GB anyway then just downgrade to the old baseband and GB bootloader.

Worked for me, I don't lose anything and it saved me the hassle of officially unlocking the ICS bootloader.

so i should just install stock gb via cwm and i'll be back to old baseband? 

if i understood correctly then bootloader on old baseband is unlocked by default and bootloader 2030 is locked by default?

btw whats the difference between those 2 basebands? totally forgot, after i change it i just used only ics and jb(although jb had those 3G reboots, because of unofficial unlocked bootloader)

btw dalyer is it possible to change gb all settings menu and notification bar to ics one? i kinda like how they look and all those blue colors(or maybe superslim have them installed already?)

Edited by Wellus

so i should just install stock gb via cwm and i'll be back to old baseband? 

if i understood correctly then bootloader on old baseband is unlocked by default and bootloader 2030 is locked by default?

btw whats the difference between those 2 basebands? totally forgot, after i change it i just used only ics and jb(although jb had those 3G reboots, because of unofficial unlocked bootloader)

btw dalyer is it possible to change gb all settings menu and notification bar to ics one? i kinda like how they look and all those blue colors(or maybe superslim have them installed already?)

The bootloader and baseband are two different things.

I don't know the details of differences between the old and new basebands.

I'm on the old baseband and it works fine.

The ICS bootloader is locked hence needs to be unlocked to customize your phone. 

The unofficial unlock causes 3G reboots for some people so they need to not use 3G, unlock the bootloader officially or revert to the GB bootloader which is inherently unlocked.

Installing a custom GB ROM (e.g. AtomicMod, Slim, SuperSlim) will not change the baseband/bootloader.

If you are on the 2030 baseband and unofficially unlocked ICS bootloader and they work for you (e.g. no 3G reboots) then stick with them and just flash the GB ROM that you want.

If you get 3G reboots then you'll need to officially unlock the ICS bootloader as per the tutorial thread (read the end as there's another way to do it with DC Unlocker).

Or you could downgrade to the old baseband and GB bootloader like I did.

I hope this clarifies things?

I don't understand your last question.

If I was you I would just flash the preferred GB ROM to your phone as it is (i.e. leave the baseband and bootloader alone) and see if it works.

I don't know if you can change the notification bar - e.g. I don't think you can get "swipe to dimiss" to work on GB like on ICS. I guess it depends on the launcher but it may run deeper than that and depend on the underlying ROM itself. I use Holo Launcher and it makes it look quite like ICS but the notification bar is still GB.

I don't know what other stuff you might want to change the look and feel of? You can also use Holo Lockscreen to get an ICS style lock screen but I just disable the lock screen altogether with No Lock as I don't find it of any use.

Why don't you just TRY it and see? Backup your current setup in CWM and then play with whatever GB ROM you prefer. If it doesn't suit then go back to the backup...

Edited by dalyer

can i restore sms from ics to gb via titanium backup?

EDIT: no need, installed sms backup and restore from market

Edited by Wellus

Guest hippy dave

For what it's worth, cyanogenmod 7 (custom gb rom) has swipe to dismiss notifications. No idea if there's any way to add the feature to stock based roms tho.

Guest george109

For what it's worth, cyanogenmod 7 (custom gb rom) has swipe to dismiss notifications. No idea if there's any way to add the feature to stock based roms tho.

:huh: I had swipe to dismiss in AtomicMod (B888)...

Edited by george109