[ROM]Tesco Hudl 20130923.020558[CWM][Root]TabbieDroid 1.0

Guest Ian...

I have just installed this ROM on my Hudl,

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7770-ROM-Tesco-Hudl-20130923-020558-CWM-Root-TabbieDroid-1-0

I know this was posted here first,

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365838-rooted-custom-rom-based-on-hudl20130923020558stock/

I thought it warranted its own thread.

Definitely the easiest way to get root and loose all of the Tesco branding.

Great work Hal2710.

Guest Roy Hudl

Well done, Ian! 

It would be really helpful to have a step-by-step guide for this.  Hal2710's directions probably make sense to experienced droid modders, but I'm struggling with some parts - especially the exact sequence of actions.  

I'm going to have a go anyway.....  :lol:

Guest Roy Hudl

Meh, that was easier than I feared.... 

For the benefit of anyone else as stupid as me, this is how I did it (all in sequence as below)

Windows 7 64 bit generic PC -

Downloaded RKTools from http://www.modaco.com/topic/365575-stock-hudl-rom-for-rktools/

Downloaded Tabbie image from http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7770-ROM-Tesco-Hudl-20130923-020558-CWM-Root-TabbieDroid-1-0

Started RKTools.  Connected powered-on Hudl by USB.  Pressed reset and vol up.

Drivers not correct warning from Windows.   No connected device shown in RKTools.

Kept Hudl connected, and used Windows Device Manager to install RockusbDriver from RKTools folder

Hudl is then detected by RKTools, Green 1 Square lights up

Select Tabbie image in FW path at top of RKTools, wait for it to load.

Deep breath, hit "restore".   Wait, wait, wait, then it's checked and done.

Unplug from usb, press reset again.   Hold power & Vol up for CWM

(NB - in CWM you select the required menu item by vol control, and action it with power button)

In CWM - wipe/factory reset, then go into advanced and wipe dalvik cache, then reboot system now

Powered-up like a factory-new hudl (which it was, yesterday) and did the wifi and accounts etc.  Oddly, it still tried to show me the Tesco apps which aren't there anymore, but that was soon deleted to the bin. 

Rootchecker says we have root, with proper Chainfire SuperSU.   Now reloading all the apps (a bit easier than reinstalling windows apps!).

Great, really pleased!

Edited by Roy Hudl

Great tutorial Roy.

One thing to note when flashing do not use usb hubs or extension cables. Plug straight into the PC. You may need to experiment with the usb port that works for your pc. When I got the right one the RockusbDriver installed automatically. 

Ok - maybe it's just me being a bit dense (could well be, had no coffee yet!), interesting to compare the image sizes of similar Rockchip Bench Tool images, one previously supplied by Paul in the pinned thread and this one supplied by hal2710 : -

size:1,179,853,112 bytes - hudl.20130923.020558.stock.img

size: 635,541,816 bytes - TabbieDroid_Hudl.img

After replacing/modding the stock recovery with CWM and removing bloat/Tesco apps etc, have we really gained a reduction in image size of nearly 520MB  :wacko:

It's a given that the bloat/Tesco apps probably account for 75MB (according to the sizes given for disabled apps on a running hudl) so the simple question is what sort of stuff accounted for the other approx 445MB?

Or is that where I've misunderstood... :huh: ... very happy for someone to shout out the errors of my thoughts :D  

Guest hal2710

Ok - maybe it's just me being a bit dense (could well be, had no coffee yet!), interesting to compare the image sizes of similar Rockchip Bench Tool images, one previously supplied by Paul in the pinned thread and this one supplied by hal2710 : -

After replacing/modding the stock recovery with CWM and removing bloat/Tesco apps etc, have we really gained a reduction in image size of nearly 520MB  :wacko:

It's a given that the bloat/Tesco apps probably account for 75MB (according to the sizes given for disabled apps on a running hudl) so the simple question is what sort of stuff accounted for the other approx 445MB?

Or is that where I've misunderstood... :huh: ... very happy for someone to shout out the errors of my thoughts :D  

Hi CaptainMidnight,

Good question, the only answer I can give and to be clear I have no secrets here. All I did was take the stock ROM from Paul and unpack it into all the different image parts the unpack the boot.img and alter the content of default.prop, then unpack rooted system.img from Paul and remove the apks suggested by glossywhite. I then swapped the recovery.img for my patched version and then repack all and Yes nearly half a gig smaller. I can only say that it must be the new RKTools17 maybe its more efficent packing things. Others may have more info than me.

Mick

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Well, I installed Windows 7 on my lappy and finally got it working. A word of warning though, your screen on the Hudl won't show anything when flashing the image so just watch the green light on the RKTools for an indication on what's going on.

Guest TescoHudl

Mine continues to show the '<Layer 5-1> Test Device Fail' message, as shown above. As far as i know, i have done everything correctly. I plugged the device into the computer, held the volume up button and pressed reset while continuing to hold until the device is recognized in RKTools. Then i chose the .iso image and clicked 'Restore'.

But i keep getting the same message, saying 'Test Device Fail'. :(

So bloody annoying!! Grrr.....

Now we have CWM for our rom, surely it can't be too hard to port some ROMs from similar devices. Might have a shot my self when I get set up (my main laptop is broken, so I don't have my android stuff installed :()

(also thanks to the porter :))

Guest Pieronip

Mine continues to show the '<Layer 5-1> Test Device Fail' message, as shown above. As far as i know, i have done everything correctly. I plugged the device into the computer, held the volume up button and pressed reset while continuing to hold until the device is recognized in RKTools. Then i chose the .iso image and clicked 'Restore'.

But i keep getting the same message, saying 'Test Device Fail'. :(

So bloody annoying!! Grrr.....

What are you trying to flash?  That should not be a '.iso image' it should be a .zip file!  EDIT - OK apparently you extract the contents of the .zip but it should be a .img file and not a .iso.

Just a typo?

Edited by Pieronip

Guest hal2710

Anyone know what this is all about?

8mjl.png

Hi TescoHudl,

Can you please post the "mainlog" file that is generated when you press save.

Thanks

Hal2710

Guest hal2710

Now we have CWM for our rom, surely it can't be too hard to port some ROMs from similar devices. Might have a shot my self when I get set up (my main laptop is broken, so I don't have my android stuff installed :()

(also thanks to the porter :))

Hi Rem1x,

Please note that because of the way the internal memory is allocated in the Hudl, the internal sdcard is not accesible from CWM.

I am currently building a custom install script that should work around this. Until we fully understand the Hudl non standard setup "Straight forward porting" will not be easy. Please keep us updated with any of your findings though.

Hal2710

Thanks for the confirmation on image size Mick. Would be very interested in the small details of recovery image offset etc to be able to add this additionally to Paul's original root version. Just doing some background reading on android filesystem, the image offset locations is my current thirst for knowledge.

Phil

Guest TescoHudl

What are you trying to flash?  That should not be a '.iso image' it should be a .zip file!  EDIT - OK apparently you extract the contents of the .zip but it should be a .img file and not a .iso.

Just a typo?

Sorry, that was indeed just a typo! I meant to say .img :)

Guest TescoHudl

Hi TescoHudl,

Can you please post the "mainlog" file that is generated when you press save.

Thanks

Hal2710

Here is the mainlog i saved after the process:

**********Restore Action**********

**********Restore Start Total<1>**********
<Layer 5-1> Test Device Start
<Layer 5-1> Test Device Fail
**********Restore Done Success<0> Fail<1> Time<3625>ms**********

It doesn't really tell us anything more than what the program said originally...
Edited by TescoHudl

Guest hal2710

Here is the mainlog i saved after the process:

**********Restore Action**********

**********Restore Start Total<1>**********
<Layer 5-1> Test Device Start
<Layer 5-1> Test Device Fail
**********Restore Done Success<0> Fail<1> Time<3625>ms**********

It doesn't really tell us anything more than what the program said originally...

Well it looks like drivers to me. Can you connect to the Hudl's sdcard any tranfer files ? If not try reinstalling and let me know.

Mick

Edit, It looks as though this thread will die as "h4x0rm1k3" has made a V2 of this ROM, all credit to him.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest 900supersport

I've recently taken a quick look at this image. Here's what is going on.

The individual image files (kernel.img, boot.img, recovery.img, system.img etc) have been pulled from a hudl based on the information in parameters, I would think with rkflashtool. rkflashtool just follows orders so it pulls data from a given offset and of a given length and writes it to a file.

If you inspect the individual images mentioned above with a hex editor you will find some interesting things.

kernel.img this is a file where every byte is 0x0, totally blank 8.4MB of nothing. Presumably no stand alone kernel has ever been flashed on the hudl as received from tescos. More on this in a bit.

boot.img, recovery.img the latter half of these img files seems to made of 0xff so about half of each of these files ins just padding.

system.img this is 1 GB in size as specified in parameters. Again about half of this is empty space.

If you make up a custom ROM fro these images and discard all the padding then it will be much smaller as you observe.

I mentioned the stand alone kernel is blank, on a custom ROM you really want a working standalone kernel and a boot without embedded kernel. If you have this arrangement it's easy to swap out the stock kernel for alternate kernels (change of branding, overclocking etc). Unpacking boot and extracting kernel gives a kernel of 8.7MB. Once signed using rkcrc -k this will do the job fine. However the hudle kernel is bigger than the space allocated to it in parameter 0x4000, so you will need to update the size allocated to kernel to 0x6000 and then adjust the offsets of the following images.

Hope this of some use to you.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest madmirlin

i need help i am newbee to all of this root my hudl downloaded new fonts now will not boot up and will not connect to rktools to reinstall stock rom never done anything like this before so need help if anyone can help thanks

As said on the other thread if you supply more info there's more than one way to sort this..... it's had to help when you're talking about the same issue over 1,2,3, .... threads.

• 2 months later...
Guest MurdoD

Anyone know if this will be updated with the 20131016.200812 build? :ph34r:

Also struggling to install drivers....

Tried 4 dif usb ports, I've got a Win7 x64 enterprise install, device manager shows "Hudl" as no drivers loaded but does not find any suitable drivers within \rktools17\RockusbDriver\x64\win7\

Anyone got any tips? (USB Debugging enabled, build 20131016.200812)

Edited by MurdoD