Photo

Latest hudl update patch (OTA) + modded version (NEW! no assert checks)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

hippy dave

hippy dave

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Devices:G300, Hudl

i'm also wondering what other checks Tesco have put in place to check the file/firmware integrity and which update the HUDL is on. If I find anything out i'll let you all know but I honestly don't know how far i'm going to get but here's hoping! If anyone has any pointers though then fire them my way please as i'm willing to give anything a shot at the moment!

Poke through the zip file to find the update script, it lists every file that's checked for integrity.

bigpmc

bigpmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl

In my case the update failed because I had modified the build.prop. Once I returned it to the default values the update worked and I still have root access (chinese tool)

djpatterson

djpatterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

The update checks that everything is "as should be" before updating. If you edit the updater-script and remove lines 6 - 357, it should skip the checks and install the update anyway. No guarantee everything will OK though, seeing as it is of course it is designed to be applied to unmodified stuff (hence the checks are there in the first place). You can try it though.

Had to delete the 2 earlier assert statements too.

Then just applied through CWM, declining the updated bootloader and adding SU when prompted.

Seems to be fine to me, what should I test (help about just being a lookup of build.prop)

Thanks

CashMoney

CashMoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl, Moto G

Then just applied through CWM, declining the updated bootloader and adding SU when prompted.

Seems to be fine to me, what should I test (help about just being a lookup of build.prop)

Thanks

Tried this with regular flavour recovery, no go, still stops almost right away with an error (no indication of what the error is though). Will get CWM on here and try again later. Before I do though, djpatterson, to be sure we are on the right page, the start of my updater-script (found under META-INF\com\google\android) looks like -

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mtd/by-name/system", "/system");
ui_print("Verifying current system...");
show_progress(0.100000, 0);

# ---- start making changes here ----

That correct?

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SII, Advent Vega

Anyone got a list of changes from this update yet?

djpatterson

djpatterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Tried this with regular flavour recovery, no go, still stops almost right away with an error (no indication of what the error is though). Will get CWM on here and try again later. Before I do though, djpatterson, to be sure we are on the right page, the start of my updater-script (found under META-INF\com\google\android) looks like -

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mtd/by-name/system", "/system");
ui_print("Verifying current system...");
show_progress(0.100000, 0);

# ---- start making changes here ----

That correct?

Yes, that's it, although I also too the show progress out.

If you edited in windoz then you need to have used a proper editor like notepad++ as stock notepad, etc. put extra 'helpful' characters in the file that you can't see and don't need

djpatterson

djpatterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Oh, don't leave the update.sh lying around in the root of the internal card as you'll keep getting the 'update available' prompt (even if you've moved the ota apk)

Lister Of Smeg

Lister Of Smeg

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (San Fran)

Nope, but I have eMailed them... Its worth a shot!! ;-)

Basically I saw they had a help guide for people who have problems with their Touchscreen not working... (as a few on the forums have suffered that) However their guide was in no relation to the bug we know, but just touchscreens in general.

So when said "did the helpguide, err... help" I said No... and went into further details! And then asked that it would be handy to know what the updates actually solved. If I hear anything (which I am not expecting too....) shall of course reveal on here...

Cheers, Lister

Anyone got a list of changes from this update yet?

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SII, Advent Vega

Just updated from strock to v1.3 on a work colleagues hudl, which "seems" to have resolved their left hand touch panel not working issue.

Will need to wait until Monday before confirming a fix though, as it only seemed to creep in after an hour or so of use.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Thanks

Would someone please explain precisely what needs to be deleted in the update-script to allow this 1.3 to be flashed? 

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Devices:hudl1+2, HTC One S, M8 TV Box

Just as a matter of interest - just unboxed and initial setup of partners hudl - update is approx 76MB for a new device.

Plan is: -

1. Produce backup images via rkflashtool.

2. Root with ...... possibly this time Kingo.

3. Produce backup images of rooted hudl on v1.3

Will share images once produced if anyone is interested, just currently working out image offsets (via rkflashtool 0x00 0x02 I think) and then how to package (zip) up the images so that one a single file is produced that can be used with the windows version of the tool if desired. It's a learning curve on android for me, but when available will update etc.

Edited by CaptainMidnight, 01 November 2013 - 05:07 PM.

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Devices:hudl1+2, HTC One S, M8 TV Box

Sorry, should have read all the updated threads looks like h4x0rm1k3 has already provided a fix for this issue of the update not installing etc. I'll go back in my corner and tinker while learning android :ninja:

djpatterson

djpatterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Would someone please explain precisely what needs to be deleted in the update-script to allow this 1.3 to be flashed? 

Thanks  :)

Here you go:

The update checks that everything is "as should be" before updating. If you edit the updater-script and remove lines 6 - 357, it should skip the checks and install the update anyway. No guarantee everything will OK though, seeing as it is of course it is designed to be applied to unmodified stuff (hence the checks are there in the first place). You can try it though.

and:

Thanks

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Thank you!

Note: Opening post now updated with assert-check-removed ZIP.

TurboPask

TurboPask

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Hi,

two days ago I tried to modify the update.zip file to remove some assert-check but I wasn't able to apply the update using the stock recovery because fail for zip signature verification! I know that this is not an issue for CWM recovery....

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Hi,

two days ago I tried to modify the update.zip file to remove some assert-check but I wasn't able to apply the update using the stock recovery because fail for zip signature verification! I know that this is not an issue for CWM recovery....

So... use CWM? 

TurboPask

TurboPask

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

So... use CWM? 

First I tried to modify the update.zip file in order to insert the proper signature. I found some software around by I had no success.

In my case the update process failed because I removed some Apk (the same you indicated as not necessary some weeks ago) from system/app.

So I extracted these apk form the stock image of Paul and I put again these apk in the app dir; after I was able to update my hudl.

p.s.: I used the chinese VRoot program to root my hudl.

Justice™

Justice™

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire HD
  • Twitter:@4nomal0us
Thanks for the patched version, I was able to sideload it into CWM and flash it over my existing TabbieDroid 1.5 setup, Its working fine so far and everything seems to be normal.

Lister Of Smeg

Lister Of Smeg

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (San Fran)

Hi @GlossyWhite / All,

So just to understand / get this correctly... Can I use the new Patch in the Opening Post/1st Post, to update a pre-patched ROM updated Tablet??

Basically, I flashed the HAL2710 rom that has the built in CWM recovery... The rom had the Tesco's Apps removed. However I put some of them back (the ones useful for my mum, like ClubCard and stuff... but left the BlinkBox rubbish out). I also restored the SystemUI that INCLUDED the [T] icon in menu....

However now, I want to make sure the Tablet is running the very latest firmware from Tesco. Can I now copy this Update.zip file onto the Internal storage? (or does it have to be SD Card?) and then flash in CWM???

Do I select:

1) Choose a Zip from sd card

2) Install Zip from Sideload

3) Toggle Signature Verification

Admittedly the above options may not be the same as the Hudl (as its downstairs, just reading options from my phone).

Just wondered what the correct proceedure is for the Hudl, and will it keep all my previous Apps/Settings/Data, and just merely update the Tesco firmware?

Sorry for all the questions, I am use to CWM firmware flashing of other devices, phones and generic Tablets... But as Tesco's firmware seems to BORK the Tablet if its been modified, after all the effort I put into settings mum's up, I dont want it to die now... :( lol

Thanks, Lister

Edited by Lister Of Smeg, 03 November 2013 - 02:18 PM.

jonoathome

jonoathome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Hudl, Nexus 7, i9305, TF300T
  • Twitter:@jonoathome

hudl-update-1.3-no-assert-checks.zip..

not working from stock recovery.. fails verification test

No means to install CWM yet as I don't have a 64bit linux machine..

Edited by jonoathome, 03 November 2013 - 04:44 PM.

www.sixcrazyminutes.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users