acer s500 root questions

Guest malins

i want to root my s500 and i have a few questions

i'm using now 4.1.2 with a flashed stock theme from the acer blog. if a root the device, would i be able to install ported apps from stock android.

for example i want the stock phone app from android. when someone calls, it shows that acer ui and it'a ugly. also, when i receive a sms, it's shows that launcher has stopped working. 

also, i need to have the bootloader unlocked in order to have root or it's only neccesary if you want to put a custom rom.

are there any good custom roms working? i'm looking forward to the stock android experience in the looks. that means no miui,

thanks.

Guest execpwd

1. You need no unlocked bootloader in order to root.

2. You can disable Acer Shell through a small app developed specially for that. ( search on forum )

3. CyanogenMod 10 ( JB 4.1.2 ) has a pretty stock look ( although it has some drawbacks since it has malfunctiones )

4. If you root and install BusyBox you can also use dev apps like Xposed Framework and GravityBox and XThemeEngine to modify the look of your phone. ( no matter what ROM you have ).

Have a nice day.

From what i know, vache deleated the cm10 files as they were not worth flashing due to the problems the rom had. has he uploaded a newer version? i searched through the forum and found the topic abaut pacman and cm10, but are outdated.
Also, if i unblock the bootloader, is there a option to 'lock' it back, in case i need to send the phone in service?

Guest execpwd

If you unlock the bootloader, there is NO chance to lock it back. ( you can throw away your warranty ). Also, about CM 10 and PAC - You can ask on their dedicated topic. I can bet someone out there still has the flashable CM 10. ( you can ask vache too ).

In my opinion, you should root + busybox and install xposed with gbox and themeengine modules. Also rom toolbox provides some modding options. ( although it's safer with Xposed ).

Guest execpwd

Okay then. I'll attempt to root now, without memory card(my 2gb noname isn't recognized by the phone, found that when tried to update from ICS to JB).

as a matter of fact, i'm on windows 8 x64. are there any drivers compatible with windows 8?

http://www.acer.ro/ac/ro/RO/content/drivers it doesn't show any results here, on the official site.

I am running Windows 8 x64 too, and wasn't able to install the drivers from acer, only by tricking the O.S ... Is your phone recognized by the Tool ? Is the Windows original ? Is it able to install and detect drivers on his own? If not, you will have to trick the O.S by forcing it to recognize the drivers no matter what version or for what O.S they are ...

L.E : Don't forget you will need ADB and maybe SDK installed on your windows machine ... ( If you can't install the drivers for Acer, you will have to google ' How to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement on Windows 8 ' , and do the exact steps. After you disable that , you can install the driver + adb + sdk ).

I'll find some time this weekend to create a tutorial for those who have problems with the drivers on windows 8 ... 'til then, google is your friend . xD

Edited by execpwd

it doesn't recognize my phone in the tool. device not found/waiting for device. 

not sure if it helps, but in my computer, the phone is categorized as a music player. is that the cause why the tool doesn't recognize it?

Edited by malins

Guest execpwd

it doesn't recognize my phone in the tool. device not found/waiting for device. 

not sure if it helps, but in my computer, the phone is categorized as a music player. is that the cause why the tool doesn't recognize it?

do this : http://www.fotoclubinc.com/blog/how-to-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-to-allow-installation-of-windows-7-printer-drivers-on-windows-8/

reboot. Install Acer Drivers. Install ADB. Install SDK - Java. Reboot. Start AcerV4Tool. Root through TWRP. Voila !

Done with drivers. it hurts my brain thinking how stupid i was not to activate usb debugging. that's why it didn't work in the first place. i'll get now rooting the device.
thanks for all the help, execpwd. i'll surely come back to you next time i have an issue. :D

Guest execpwd

So I tried to install Busybox, but it won't install...

http://imgur.com/a/EIipr

And yes I tried to install in another location, but that didn't work too.

Follow this : Connect the phone to pc. Open the AcerV4Tool. Reboot in System RW. Open Play Store. Download this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox . Install it. Open the Installer. Install BusyBox. Reboot. Happy End !