Swap Partition on Zte Blade 3 Pro Stock rom ?

Guest Marek1994

Guest Marek1994

I Have problem with creating swap . When I download from Android Market aplication "Swap for root" and I crate swap file "swap.swp" and go to Terminal Emulator ( I Have installed BusyBox and I have root ) . I can't turn this swap . I say command :

su

swapon /sdcard2/swap.swp terminal can't turn him ;/

Please help .

This command working perfect on Xperia x8 Phone .

Edited by Marek1994

Guest Snap.IT

I Have problem with creating swap . When I download from Android Market aplication "Swap for root" and I crate swap file "swap.swp" and go to Terminal Emulator ( I Have installed BusyBox and I have root ) . I can't turn this swap . I say command :

su

swapon /sdcard2/swap.swp terminal can't turn him ;/

Please help .

This command working perfect on Xperia x8 Phone .

It's not supported in the kernel so it won't work, you will have to do a menuconfig and enable it, compile it with a nice cross compiler, couple it with a ramdisk and flahs it via fastboot.

Or use any of KonstaT's kernels, just flash the boot.img via fastboot, it's better than stock no matter which one you pick.

Guest AloneInTheDark19

It's not supported in the kernel so it won't work, you will have to do a menuconfig and enable it, compile it with a nice cross compiler, couple it with a ramdisk and flahs it via fastboot.

Or use any of KonstaT's kernels, just flash the boot.img via fastboot, it's better than stock no matter which one you pick.

Bro it's Blade III Pro, not Blade III !

Edit:

Do we need source code for enabling swap?

Edited by AloneInTheDark19

Guest Snap.IT

Bro it's Blade III Pro, not Blade III !

Edit:

Do we need source code for enabling swap?

Missed that, and yeah you need source code to compile a kernel with swap support.

I actually have no idea if your kernel does support swap but if swapon doesn't return "not supported" it should. Been a while since i messed with it since it's entirely useless for anything but slowing down your phone unless you are editing large images or spreadsheets on it.

Everything is swapped back to where it's read from unless it's changed so the only thing that having a separate swap file/partition would be useful is if you are changing large data sets on your phone. There is a reason why it's not used by default and that reason isn't that they want your phone to be slow.

Guest AloneInTheDark19

Missed that, and yeah you need source code to compile a kernel with swap support.

I actually have no idea if your kernel does support swap but if swapon doesn't return "not supported" it should. Been a while since i messed with it since it's entirely useless for anything but slowing down your phone unless you are editing large images or spreadsheets on it.

Everything is swapped back to where it's read from unless it's changed so the only thing that having a separate swap file/partition would be useful is if you are changing large data sets on your phone. There is a reason why it's not used by default and that reason isn't that they want your phone to be slow.

yea, but the sad part is that we dont have kernel source given from ZTE :( and what about zRam?

Guest Snap.IT

yea, but the sad part is that we dont have kernel source given from ZTE :( and what about zRam?

zRAM can be useful if you are multitasking a lot but it won't do all that much. I've experimented with it in the past without any great results. It basically uses part of your memory as a compressed swap file so you'll have less available working memory which ... well it's not a great idea.

Generally the low mem killer will take care of everything for you so there is not really any need to "fix it" because it's not broken. That said, even a slight bit more memory can make a big difference, unfortunately without source you can't experiment with the assignment of memory to different parts and it's rarely optimal from the get go.

Other than that there isn't really much you can do, you can't just buy an extra RAM module and install that... unfortunately.

Guest AloneInTheDark19

zRAM can be useful if you are multitasking a lot but it won't do all that much. I've experimented with it in the past without any great results. It basically uses part of your memory as a compressed swap file so you'll have less available working memory which ... well it's not a great idea.

Generally the low mem killer will take care of everything for you so there is not really any need to "fix it" because it's not broken. That said, even a slight bit more memory can make a big difference, unfortunately without source you can't experiment with the assignment of memory to different parts and it's rarely optimal from the get go.

Other than that there isn't really much you can do, you can't just buy an extra RAM module and install that... unfortunately.

o'right, thank you for answering my questions :D