Official response from Tesco: v1.3 firmware update

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Below is the eMail I got back regarding what v1.3 update brings us, and if it fixes the touchscreen...

Discussion Thread

Response Via Email (xxxxxxxx)

PM

Dear xxxxxxxx,

Thanks for your recent email.

Hudl v1.3 includes an improvement to WiFi performance, improvements to the reliability of App updates and our latest versions of Tesco apps and widgets.

We have had no reports of installation of the update causing units to fail.

As with most software updates they are released to resolve issues and implement improvements.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxxx

Technical Advisor
Tesco Tech Support

So as you can see, it's rather vague and generic....

I failed to mention of the Root ;) access.... (lol)  And no mention of the Touchscreen issues...

So there we have it, least they replied... But still, we assumed that's what it would cover anyway. No specific details.

Cheers, Lister

Guest menace1944

Below is the eMail I got back regarding what v1.3 update brings us, and if it fixes the touchscreen...

Hudl v1.3 includes an improvement to WiFi performance....

WiFi certainly seems to have improved as I am getting fewer dropouts.  I had noticed that the Hudl failed to see WiFi signal at locations where my Galaxy SII phone had no problem connecting.  Hudl still not as good as SII on WiFi but is now usable everywhere in house.  Now all I need is a similar improvement in GPS performance.

I'm just thankful that Tesco are supplying updates so soon after launch - may it long continue. Who knows they may even eventually push out an android update (ooh that would be nice  :D ).

Edited by Guest

Guest glossywhite

I'm just thankful that Tesco are supplying updates so soon after launch - may it long continue. Who knows they may even eventually push out an android update (ooh that would be nice  :D ).

A KitKat ROM built from source is ENTIRELY possible, due to the kernel source having now been released. It is also likely to come sooner.

Guest Graham1

Update 1.3 doesn't fix the touch screen issues (well, not on my hudl :( ). It's either the bottom left (when used horizontally) or bottom third (vertically) that plays up. As mentioned, turning the screen on/off always corrects the problem.

:)

Edited by Graham1

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Glossywhite,

Now is this with the Kernel source being released by Tesco's, or the Kernal Sauce being released by Tesco?? ;) he he he  (nice pickup in your other post)...

But yeah, hopefully now the Kernel is released, and the Nexus 5 rom dump floating around... either with or without Tesco's support, a nice KitKat would go down a treat.

The more I read about KitKat the more I want it on my phone, and would be super cool for the Hudl too... Even 4.3 would be welcomed to the Hudl with proper User Management....

Cheers, Lister

Glossywhite:  A KitKat ROM built from source is ENTIRELY possible, due to the kernel source having now been released. It is also likely to come sooner.

Guest paultr2

WiFi certainly seems to have improved as I am getting fewer dropouts.  I had noticed that the Hudl failed to see WiFi signal at locations where my Galaxy SII phone had no problem connecting.  Hudl still not as good as SII on WiFi but is now usable everywhere in house.  Now all I need is a similar improvement in GPS performance.

I have also been very dissapointed with the GPS - it seems to see plenty of satellites but cannot maintain a consistent lock. I have connected the Hudl to an old Bluetooth GPS and the differences are huge. I want to use the Hudl as a marine plotter so GPS is important to me. I had assumed that most of these small tablets would use similar GPS chips so do you think the poor performance of the GPS could be cured by a future update ?

Thanks for any advice.

There is talk on another forum that Tesco are testing KitKat for the Hudl and a release is in the works.... I read it in The Sun as well so it must be true. Here's hoping

Guest glossywhite

There is talk on another forum that Tesco are testing KitKat for the Hudl and a release is in the works.... I read it in The Sun as well so it must be true. Here's hoping

Please would you mind posting a link the pertinent, referenced information? It seem's slightly redundant to tell us that without showing us it ;)

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stuben32

Hi Everyone,

I'm also having the intermittant screen issue that Graham1 and Lister refers to.

Is everyone having issues with this?  I only noticed it after i rooted - I only had it about 4 hours before i did that - after it did the 1.3 update

I've also had my 1st having to reset moment - After a week.  I was using it fine last night, left it for about 10 minutes and then the screen wouldnt come on - had to press the reset button to get it back up.

Have to say that even with thsi couple of quibbles i'm loving it for the price and performance is good - better than i expected

Stuben32

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Stuben32,

Graham1 is my brother... ;-) We have 2x Hudl's in our family...

1st Hudl (Graham1 / my Brother) Not Rooted and running the latest 1.3 firmware, and still has Touchscreen issues.

2nd Hudl (not a user on here / my Mum) Is Rooted running the latest 1.3 firmware, no issues....

The one with the faulty screen, we took back into Tesco's, even though Tesco's sent it direct to our house as they didnt have any in stock. On the shipping notes it said, any problems send back via the courrier to the manufacturer and not in shop. So we took it too the shop anyway ;-) on Saturday and they said a replacement would be ready for us on Monday to collect.

I took a note of both the box and the internal serial number just to make sure what we get back... ;)

I'd advise de-rooting it, returning it to stock firmware and logging it with Tesco's.... They seem to be ok at handling these, just useless at supporting TV's ;) :P lol

Cheers, Lister

Guest stuben32

Hi Stuben32,

Graham1 is my brother... ;-) We have 2x Hudl's in our family...

1st Hudl (Graham1 / my Brother) Not Rooted and running the latest 1.3 firmware, and still has Touchscreen issues.

2nd Hudl (not a user on here / my Mum) Is Rooted running the latest 1.3 firmware, no issues....

The one with the faulty screen, we took back into Tesco's, even though Tesco's sent it direct to our house as they didnt have any in stock. On the shipping notes it said, any problems send back via the courrier to the manufacturer and not in shop. So we took it too the shop anyway ;-) on Saturday and they said a replacement would be ready for us on Monday to collect.

I took a note of both the box and the internal serial number just to make sure what we get back... ;)

I'd advise de-rooting it, returning it to stock firmware and logging it with Tesco's.... They seem to be ok at handling these, just useless at supporting TV's ;) :P lol

Cheers, Lister

Thanks for that

Will get that logged - wasn't sure if it was a software issue or not - Thanks for the info

Edit - Just trying somethings although I'm thinking its hardware issue - have tried setting to Force GPU rendering for 2d Graphics in developer options

Edited by stuben32

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Stuben32,

Ah, thats interesting to know, us Hudl's (well, my family... and yourself) are not the only ones to suffer the touchscreen bug... ;)

Anyway, just a heads up... Folks returned my brothers Hudl to the store on Saturday, told it would be here/ready by Monday. Today my dad went over and got it....

It appears to be brand new sealed unit. Gonna compare serials later to see if its the same of re-bagged up....

Very impressed how quick they turned that around....

Cheers, Lister

Guest stuben32

Hi Stuben32,

Ah, thats interesting to know, us Hudl's (well, my family... and yourself) are not the only ones to suffer the touchscreen bug... ;)

Anyway, just a heads up... Folks returned my brothers Hudl to the store on Saturday, told it would be here/ready by Monday. Today my dad went over and got it....

It appears to be brand new sealed unit. Gonna compare serials later to see if its the same of re-bagged up....

Very impressed how quick they turned that around....

Cheers, Lister

Great stuff - Hopefully sorted :-)

Guest virgopunk

I've had a couple of instances of what I assume is the touchscreen bug. Phantom keystrokes etc. What I found interesting was that they only started when I was using the hudl outside (waiting for the bus) in cold weather. As soon as the pad was indoors the problem ceased.

If I find it happening again I'll have to return to stock and return it but it seems that if its a temp issue it suggest that the screens have gone through a poor quality check.

If I conrrect I'm guessing that the temp causes the screen to contract by a marginal amount that then makes the screen register phantom touches.

This is, of course, a half-baked pseudo-technical hypothesis :wacko:  but it seems odd that both times this has happened has been outside during cold weather.

Guest stuben32

I've had a couple of instances of what I assume is the touchscreen bug. Phantom keystrokes etc. What I found interesting was that they only started when I was using the hudl outside (waiting for the bus) in cold weather. As soon as the pad was indoors the problem ceased.

If I find it happening again I'll have to return to stock and return it but it seems that if its a temp issue it suggest that the screens have gone through a poor quality check.

If I conrrect I'm guessing that the temp causes the screen to contract by a marginal amount that then makes the screen register phantom touches.

This is, of course, a half-baked pseudo-technical hypothesis :wacko:  but it seems odd that both times this has happened has been outside during cold weather.

Hi Virgopunk,

My issues have been indoors - Not phantom keystroke just about 2/3rd of screen from bottom up (Landscape) doesn't respond to input - power off, or let the screen time out and turn it back on and its OK again. 

Seems quite intermittent - I had a good play at lunch today Dead Effect, Sky Gamblers - both quite intensive 3d games. All OK

It happened again this morning when I was browsing using Chrome - This was when I had done what I said on previous post (set 2d apps to use GPU) in developer options, so have been using Next browser mostly today.  Similar issues reported with Nexus 7's - and there's loads of issues reported with system crashes etc when using Chrome on 4.2.2 based Droid. 

Going to see how it goes, but may also revert to stock and return for replacement - I'm in my 14 day period so hoping I can just swap it there and then as I don't think I can live without it now.

Lister, when did it happen on your brothers Hudl?  After browsing or was it anytime?

Stuben32

Guest stuben32

Chrome was one of the first things to be replaced on mine - Firefox hasn't caused me any issues, 'UC Browser' also works well.

There's even more more evidence on xda - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1792722 of this type of issue on Nexus 7 - even new ones.

I've grabbed the all-in-one-toolbox app from google play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.toolbox.full - may be able to remove Chrome all together - but has a RAM optimizer that may help in the event it isn't hardware.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Stuben32,

Yeah the Touchscreen bug affecting my brothers was not of random phantom key presses, but that of the Touchscreen not responding in a certain location at certain times...

I'm not too sure when it happens, I'll get him to look at this thread, and post an update about it... However he popped in tonight to pick up his replacement, fingers cross that one will be fine... ;) LOL

You dont need any Apps to remove other Apps from an Android device, providing its Rooted... You should be able to goto.

\ System \ App \ *look for the relevant APK file, and simply delete* - be careful here as these are OS installed Apps.

\ Data \ App \ *look for the relevant APK file, and simply delete* - these are where user installed Apps hide out...

Hope that helps, Lister

Guest stuben32

Hi Stuben32,

Yeah the Touchscreen bug affecting my brothers was not of random phantom key presses, but that of the Touchscreen not responding in a certain location at certain times...

I'm not too sure when it happens, I'll get him to look at this thread, and post an update about it... However he popped in tonight to pick up his replacement, fingers cross that one will be fine... ;) LOL

You dont need any Apps to remove other Apps from an Android device, providing its Rooted... You should be able to goto.

\ System \ App \ *look for the relevant APK file, and simply delete* - be careful here as these are OS installed Apps.

\ Data \ App \ *look for the relevant APK file, and simply delete* - these are where user installed Apps hide out...

Hope that helps, Lister

Hi Lister

It locked up on me again but I had all in one tolbox running and free ram was at 8 % about 90MB out of a gig. The app let'syou recycle stuff and stop stuff at boot so have removed the tesco stuff and disabled mobile data - not a phone after all - and now have 330MB free so will keep an eye on that

Stuben32