low volume anyone?

Guest runlevel5

Guest The Soup Thief

On the forums at xda there are a few comments about low volume and hopes that this can be improved with new firmware.

With what look like 2 speaker grills people are expecting loud volume - actually I think one of the grills masks the mic, so actually only one speaker (and maybe not a very boomy one!)

Mine's still in the post though so will know more when I get chance to play

Guest comicbookguy

N4 volume with stock firmware was woeful.Roms and kernels will help. At least headset volume is better. Speaker seems very crackly, but I might have been adding too much gain when converting for n4.

Guest The Soup Thief

I read something about speaker crackle during calls in a review (Engadget?) - a little disappointing if you want to use it as a telephone.  Fortunately that's not the point anymore really, is it? 

Guest comicbookguy

the one call i've made (lol) was fine

all the mp3 files i have on my n5 were transferred direct from my n4. i was boosting the level because of the low output volume on stock firmware on the n4 when i converted them and they may be "clipping" on the n5 speaker causing the crackle

comparatively with the same files, headphones and bluetooth system (rooted stock on N5, cm10.2 nightly on N4 - CM10.2 was significantly louder than N4 stock, as were MCR and MCMCR with Franco Kernel), on the same player (mediamonkey beta) with EQ off:

headphone volume is very marginally better on N5, as is quality

speaker volume is marginally lower on N5, and more "tinny", with less bass

Bluetooth volume is marginally worse on N5, quality is even

edit 19th Nov:

xda are talking about assembly glue blocking speaker port holes and causing low volume on some devices.

i've switched music player to Poweramp, which has an equaliser built in that actually works (unlike most eq's since ICS) and helps loads for volume and clarity (it can also output in mono which is very useful to me as i'm only allowed 1 headphone at work!)

Franco kernel now has working volume boosts for headphones and speaker, adjusted thru the FKU App (although they don't stick through a reboot yet)

Edited by comicbookguy