Unable to update HUDL to 1.3

Guest eyupwolf

Guest eyupwolf

Hello I have a Tesco hudl for a few weeks now and enjoying rooted devices I've spent days now in past trying to root the device but my knowledge of linux was very limited, I managed to root the device finally with the obsure chinesse method and all was well. But being the stupid guy I am, I can get a bit obsessive and I went and removed all the tesco apps including the update one so I'm unable to upgrade to 1.3. I've tried so many methods from rktools in virtualbox to rk simular one in windows, but I cant get my machine to reconise my device at all. I'm using windows 7 x64.

The only sucess I've had is with Kingo root, by installing samsung abd driver as someone mentioned on this forums somewhere it gave me option to unroot, which I have and I do have option to reroot. Through oddly it wont work when +vo and power safe boot mode thing. The device isn't reconised.

I'd like to get this device up to 1.3 and cwm if possible but after 8+ hours over past 3 days Im losing my hair lol. If anyone has links to the tesco update app or can guide me how to get machine to reconise huddle in safe boot mode so i can reinstall stock it would be appreshated. Thanks.

I've installed minimal adb interface and fast boot and was able to boot? I think into safe mode or something using command : adb reboot bootloader but I need a driver? I think so that windows reconisdes it in that mode, Ive tried the rockusb one x64 win 7 but it says isnt compatable.

*edit* oh sucsess I installed the x86 version of the driver and now its restoring back to stock I hope rktools windows.

So if anyone has issues, I'd offer this advice:

Install Minimal adb interface and fastboot. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmSWh6NGJmSE1BUWc/edit

Use command : adb reboot bootloader

Install Rockusb driver from rktools  x86 not 64 bit even on 64 bit machine.

Then can use rktools to flash stock rom and start over.

Can use kingo root with samsung adb driver to reroot.

Sorry for my bad english but hope this helps someone if have same issue.

Now just for CWM install hehe.

Edited by eyupwolf

Guest eyupwolf

Ok so I've got a nice setup for flashing roms on windows but I'm now stuck in that update to 1.3 error loop. I haven't figured out how to install CWM eiether so if anyone has any suggestions of what to do next it would be appreciated.

If you have a look at the pinned thread about stock ROM you'll find my post that lists a v1.3 stock ROM image for the Windows RKTools program - but that should also be completed after resetting your device to 'factory settings'.

Or using the previous stock ROM you could reset your device all the way back to v1 then do a 'factory reset' and initial setup again - this way the hudl will force you to upgrade and the upgrade will work as all removed items will be present.

Other options etc... the choice is yours dependent on what level of post upgrade reconfiguration you'd accept?

Guest eyupwolf

If you have a look at the pinned thread about stock ROM you'll find my post that lists a v1.3 stock ROM image for the Windows RKTools program - but that should also be completed after resetting your device to 'factory settings'.

Or using the previous stock ROM you could reset your device all the way back to v1 then do a 'factory reset' and initial setup again - this way the hudl will force you to upgrade and the upgrade will work as all removed items will be present.

Other options etc... the choice is yours dependent on what level of post upgrade reconfiguration you'd accept?

Thank you, wish I'd have noticed that sooner, would have saved me hours of tinkering! I've had to factory reset like you said but Im assuming its now all up to date and 1.3 is installed. I have the tesco logo back through so abit more work to do lol. I think I'll skip cwm and just stick with this rom for time being I saved some of my apps with titanian backup so hopefully shouldnt be too much of an issue with restoring. Only this time ill remember to disable - not remove apps lol.

Thanks for great work there, and hopefully people can use my guide too for windows if have issues getting back to stock.

• 1 month later...

How are you trying to connect - is it via windows or linux?

If windows have all the drivers been installed, is the hudl in bootloader mode?

If via windows, have you also tried via linux (e.g. ubuntu)?