Unlock your Motorola Moto G's bootloader

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

This is a surprisingly simple and easy process.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

I was going to write a guide, but the webpage is so well written there is not a lot of point :)

I managed to unlock mine in less than 5 minutes.. you are going to need the Android SDK installed (and working) along with the correct USB drivers, but the motorola support portal will guide you through the process better than I ever could.

Guest jusumgeezer

Have you done this yourself via fastboot or the motorola RSD software? There is no flash all script, as I have seen with other phones

The fastboot instructions given by Motorola are as follows:

$ fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
$ fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
$ fastboot flash logo logo.bin
$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
$ fastboot flash system system.img
$ fastboot erase modemst1
$ fastboot erase modemst2
$ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
$ fastboot reboot

However the files listed in the .xml are:

filename="motoboot.img" partition="motoboot" operation="flash

filename="boot.img" partition="boot" operation="flash

filename="system.img_sparsechunk.0" partition="system" operation="flash

filename="system.img_sparsechunk.1" partition="system" operation="flash

filename="system.img_sparsechunk.2" partition="system" operation="flash

filename="NON-HLOS.bin" partition="modem" operation="flash

operation="erase"/><step partition="modemst2"

operation="erase"/>

" filename="fsg.mbn" partition="fsg" operation="flash"/>

<step partition="cache" operation="erase"/><step partition="userdata" operation="erase"/>

The system image appears to be in 3 chunks, trying to flash these in order returns a failed message, using system on its own also fails.

Everything else completed without error, but after reboot the tesco rom was still present.

Using the RSD tool the phone is recognised when plugged in & booted up normally, after you select the .xml & click start it reboots to fastboot then can no longer see the device so the flash fails.

Unable to get the tool to see the phone if I manually fastboot first

Any help?

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest Sebastian404

Dude. Can you post a step by step as your link says nothing about Moto G.

Erm, seriously?  its for ALL Motorola phones, you need to get the thing into Bootloader mode and do a

'fastboot oem get_unlock_data'

and put the code it gives you into the site, the site will then work out its a Moto G and give you an unlock code.

Easy as 3.14

Have you done this yourself via fastboot or the motorola RSD software? There is no flash all script, as I have seen with other phones

However the files listed in the .xml are:

I did this via fastboot.. I tried the RSD software but it did'nt reconize the devices...   there did'nt seem to be any firmware for the Moto G on the support site, are you sure this is a MotoG firmware your looking at ?

Guest jusumgeezer
there did'nt seem to be any firmware for the Moto G on the support site, are you sure this is a MotoG firmware your looking at ?

It was one linked from XDA pretty sure it's the right one as it also has the Tesco version of the firmware on there too.

Here is the download link I used

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/falcon/list.php

Is this the same source you got yours from? if not can you link your source for me here please, it sounds like you have done this with no issues, so maybe you're are right about my firmware?

Guest WillDroid

Do we know what the implications of unlocking the bootloader are on the warranty yet? The blurb from Motorola about it still standing only seems to apply to developer editions, but there isn't one of the Moto G.

Bill

Could you clarify - does doing this enable you to use a different network sim?

no, it enables you to root & flash a custom recovery which then allows flashing of custom roms.

to unlock your phone for other networks (sim free) see the thread i posted, it cost £2.04

Connected the moto g in fastboot and installed the official drivers when it was booted. works fine as a media device then, too.

Capture.png

Edited by Selice

Guest george109

WTF? I have just had a look at their conditions and it says:

Devices that have been unlocked are for your personal use only. Once you unlock the device, you can only use it for your personal use, and may not sell or otherwise transfer the device.

:wacko: Everyone's going to break this one sooner or later! :P

WTF? I have just had a look at their conditions and it says:

:wacko: Everyone's going to break this one sooner or later! :P

lol, who ever wrote that must of been drunk, because as far as i know after paying for an item you are the legal owner of it and can do as you please 

i would love to here their response to "and what if i do sell it, what will you do?" hahah

Guest TescoHudl

Can't unlock mine, always gives me this

your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking

Anything else I can do?

I had the same issue. It's because you've typed it in incorrectly. I contacted Motorola customer services and asked on here too, eventually i found out that i had left a space in the code and also cut out one of the letters by accident. Copy the code from the command prompt and paste in directly into the Motorola website. Then carefully remove spaces.

Guest TescoHudl

Does anyone know what this failure is about? It says 'FAILED: Status read failed. Too many links'. Bootloader displays as unlocked in fastboot mode (Status code 3), and everything seems okay, but i'm just worried about why it's displaying an error after the unlock.

k7e9.png

EDIT: It doesn't matter now, i have rooted my Moto G successfully. But i am still interested as to what this error means?  :)

Edited by TescoHudl