Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

Guest PaulOBrien

I can boot the stock recovery image from the stock package, but not if I rebuild it with no changes. Which is very troubling.

P

I think it is signed..? Does it check for its own signature somewhere?

Edited by a1Pha

Guest Samlock

Success!

16GB Tesco UK Moto G - unlocked with Ebay code, flashed stock UK ROM then unlocked bootloader, numerous failed attempts with the img from the original post...

Using the custom img Paul did for a1Pha in this post, it WORKED!

Would hold off using that img until Paul confirms it won't break anyone elses device, I just took a shot and hoped for the best.

Guest terminal 7

??

is it possible to flash the image by using something like 

fastboot flash boot boot.img

would this flash permanantly flash the image instead of just one off booting from it ???

Paul - you got your tesco 16g rooted with no issues using a mac - i have the very same setup but no root here even using revision 2 of the exploit ..

thanks for all your hard work again Paul, Android needs you :)

Guest Mike Reid

Thank you PaulOBrien ! :)

I'm copying a post I made on XDA, should it help anyone:

It worked for me, on Linux on my Canadian Koodo phone.

Sort of... My SU using app doesn't work, but I can go to adb shell, type "su" and do SOME root stuff.

I can't chmod some files like /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c , but I CAN chmod /dev/radio0 and /dev/snd/controlC0...

I copied busybox from another ROM and that has a good chmod. The chmod in the stock MotoG toolbox seems partly broken, either by accident or design.

I had a few issues along the way:

- I had a January 2012 fastboot installed in /bin, instead of the latest in android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/fastboot . Otherwise fastboot wouldn't work.

- And I kept waiting for my unlock code from Moto. Then I thought to look in the Promotions folder of gmail and it was there...

Guest Camarillo

Hi  some info for others I have Tesco 8gb Moto G      unlocked on Ebay, 

1. The drivers dont work on My Windows 7

2. Unlocked bootload using XP Professional

3. Used Superboot zip from Pauls link it appeared to work  rebooted quickly and ok but uperuser app ie NO root.

4. I download the supersu app installed did not root.

5. I then used the custom img Paul did for a1Pha in this post, it did NOT work the supersu gave reported error   ( There is no SU binary installed and SuperSu cannot install it.This is a problem.  If you upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root consult relevant forms ) etc.

Hugh thanks to Paul for all his effort.

Guest Samlock

Hi  some info for others I have Tesco 8gb Moto G      unlocked on Ebay, 

1. The drivers dont work on My Windows 7

2. Unlocked bootload using XP Professional

3. Used Superboot zip from Pauls link it appeared to work  rebooted quickly and ok but uperuser app ie NO root.

4. I download the supersu app installed did not root.

5. I then used the custom img Paul did for a1Pha in this post, it did NOT work the supersu gave reported error   ( There is no SU binary installed and SuperSu cannot install it.This is a problem.  If you upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root consult relevant forms ) etc.

Hugh thanks to Paul for all his effort.

Very odd - the a1Pha one worked for me, 16GB Tesco UK one...

I am now unable to install APKs, though... Frustrating! :P

Guest PaulOBrien

Very odd - the a1Pha one worked for me, 16GB Tesco UK one...

I am now unable to install APKs, though... Frustrating! :P

I actually have that issue on a completely stock unrooted device... If I download and try and install an APK it errors...

Installs from the Play Store work fine.

P

Guest TescoHudl

STILL can't unlock the bootloader on my 16GB Moto G on Tesco PAYG. I've spoke to Motorola Care twice and they won't help me with the problem. The 'agent' said the website would be updated yesterday but predictably, nothing has changed. I don't get why it's happening, all i'm getting on the Moto website is, 'Sorry, your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking'. What the heck is going on with it... :(

It looks Moto Care.apk does this issue.

Try to desactivate it.

Deleted the following and rebooted, no change. Next I will remove everything Moto related.

5sfyBet.png

Edit: I really suspect the parsing error is not due to something that is installed.

Edited by jlost

Guest TescoHudl

STILL can't unlock the bootloader on my 16GB Moto G on Tesco PAYG. I've spoke to Motorola Care twice and they won't help me with the problem. The 'agent' said the website would be updated yesterday but predictably, nothing has changed. I don't get why it's happening, all i'm getting on the Moto website is, 'Sorry, your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking'. What the heck is going on with it... :(

I think i have just uncovered the reason why i could not get my Motorola Moto G's unlocking code from the Motorola website. When i copied the code from the command prompt, i copied it into a notepad document. The notepad document had word wrapping enabled, so when i pasted the key, it placed a space in the middle of the code for the new line without me even realising it. 

Can't believe i've been so stupid! Wasted hours of my own time and the Motorola agent's time for nothing. I'm astonished how i could have missed it.

Problem solved anyway!

Guest TescoHudl

I just tried this root on my Tesco PAYG 16GB Moto G. When i doubled clicked on the .bat file, it sent the image in a split second so i assume it doesn't work. There's no SuperSU or anything like that on the phone either. 

What to do now? I'm not sure whether to retry the root using the modded boot file that Paul posted for a1Pha, or continue straight to the second recovery method. Would flashing the stock ROM help before proceeding with these options?

Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone is really able to root from a Windows PC using this method. Method 2 is probably my best bet?

I went ahead and rooted using method number two, with the recovery tweak. All is well.

Edited by TescoHudl