Photo

Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Poll: Rooting Poll (111 member(s) have cast votes)

How did root go for you?

1. Rooted OK, Windows (50 votes [44.64%])

Percentage of vote: 44.64%

2. Root didn't seem to work, Windows (37 votes [33.04%])

Percentage of vote: 33.04%

3. Rooted OK, Mac (4 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. Root didn't seem to work, Mac (6 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

5. Rooted OK, Linux (11 votes [9.82%])

Percentage of vote: 9.82%

6. Root didn't seem to work, Linux (4 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Shouldn't this come with a warning? Something along the lines of:

"We have not tested this exhaustively, and cannot guarantee that it works on every conceivable firmware revision, hardware revision etc. Please flash this at your own risk; it HAS been known to cause obscure errors, and could cause you some concern, should they manifest."

It caused my 8Gb to go black with green lines; I'm grateful for you trying here, but if it's buggy (which it appears to be) and comes with risks, surely it is better not to exist at all, than to exist with such precarious uncertainties present? I am not the irrational panicking type - it's just a slab of circuits when all is said and done, but some people panic...

Thanks for posting, anyway. 

Edited by glossywhite, 07 March 2014 - 10:02 PM.

Serrin_mi_th

Serrin_mi_th

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I try to dowload the Superboot.zip on first page, but every time i´m forwarded to any obscure sites "download new codecs" and so on.

I´ve try it with Opera and IE. It doesn´t work.

Any ideas how i get the zip file?

Now it works.

Edited by Serrin_mi_th, 08 March 2014 - 03:11 PM.

Chris57

Chris57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Moto G

I got it using my Moto G and Chrome.

Havent tried it yet as I only got the phone today.

Its a 16Gb Virgin one and for once its not filled with Virgin branding, links to Virgin shops etc.

If I coud control the Home Screen better and have a more customisable internface then I may not go with a custom rom. Seems a nice phone.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

I got it using my Moto G and Chrome.

Havent tried it yet as I only got the phone today.

Its a 16Gb Virgin one and for once its not filled with Virgin branding, links to Virgin shops etc.

If I coud control the Home Screen better and have a more customisable internface then I may not go with a custom rom. Seems a nice phone.

There's extremely little, if anything that s custom ROM could give to such a well polished and optimised, almost stock version of Android. I'm absolutely leaving this beautiful, simple OS as it is; I'd even say that I think a ROM would *detract* from the experience - its not as if it is bogged down with a custom ui and pages of useless apps. KitKat on Moto G is as good as it could ever be, out of the box :)

Remember - this is hardware made by Motorola; the company who *invented* the mobile phone, who are owned by Google, the people who invented, and whom build and release Android. I think that with Moto's vast experience of phone hardware, coupled with the fact that their parent company invented the software, I doubt very much that any ROM developer could come anywhere close to their intimate knowledge of the symbiosis that is Moto G, all the proprietary electronics and undocumented custom silicon, and make enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile forgoing stock KitKat.

Edited by glossywhite, 09 March 2014 - 01:49 PM.

RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:moto g

How long did you guys wait after the screen goes all wonky to try and reboot? After about a minute I heard a beep-boop from windows... that's about it. Now it's just the black backlit screen

RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This method did not work for me at the first try. WIndows 8.1 64Bit

How it did NOT WORK for me:

What I did: 

# Follow instructions :)

# Rebooted and installed SuperSU

WHat happened:

# No SuperSU binaries available

How it did WORK for me:

What I did:

# Follow instructions until running the .bat file

# DO NOT run the .bat file with right click --> run as admin

# INSTEAD open CMD as admin --> navigate to the .bat file --> execute the .bat file

What happened:

# Binaries are there. SuperSU should find them now

If this is of help for anyone I'm happy as I wasted 1 hour trying to root my Moto G (somehow harder than nexus :( and I'm not talking about Toolkits hehe)

Thanks, these were the exact steps I had to try, I'm grateful that this works because this is a great phone, but it's a spooky process when the screen gets screwy!

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Thanks, these were the exact steps I had to try, I'm grateful that this works because this is a great phone, but it's a spooky process when the screen gets screwy!

Please DO NOT use the tutorial in this thread; is is outdated, and the post has all but been abandoned, as has the other one by Paul. Just because he releases it first, doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work - there's no mention of 4.4.2 compatibility.

Right then - go HERE and watch it work well:

http://www.modaco.co...r-works-on-442/

Jazzi

Jazzi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G (8GB)
  • Twitter:@joomguy

Just unlocked and rooted my phone using the tut linked to above - everything worked perfectly and I'm a happy bunny again! :)

TBH, I don't plan to flash a ROM on this just yet, but I installed TSH Shell for the bling factor. I might however need to downgrade (temporarily) from KK to JB as I can't get it to pair with the Touch & Connect thingy in our new Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira...

T3h vICE

T3h vICE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G

Dude this superboot.img gave me the shock of my life!!!

I just bought the moto g today and ofc i need to root it.

Unlook Bootloader no probs at all.

Then i clicked on that batchfile and....SHOCK my moto got a black screen with 2 purple lines and stoped doing anything.

On my old htc desire my next step would be to plugin and out the battery, but... you know xD

After loooong pressing the powerbutton for 10sec or so the screen turned completly black.

Another press on powerbutton startet the normal boot then.

Everything works now, but maaaan i was so afraid 200€ thrown out of window the first day.

Is this intended or just a bug that only happened to me?

Anyways thx for the great work =)

LeeroyJenkem

LeeroyJenkem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I followed this process, step by step, but after running superboot-windows.bat, my screen first turned purple, glitched out, and then went black with the backlight still turned on. My phone is now doing nothing. What can I do to fix this so I can try other options?

=EDIT=

Just saw the post above. Did the same thing, turning off then back on. So far so good...

Edited by LeeroyJenkem, 04 May 2014 - 01:06 AM.

gleesonger

gleesonger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

When I ran the tool everything seemed to be fine,got the same output on the console as others but the phone didnt reboot (waited 1 min).

I tried to restart it by;

pressing the power button, nothing

pressing power and volumn-down, nothing

"adb devices" responded with nothing attached

at this stage I was getting a bit worried,

but thankfully "adb reboot" worked *phew*

not sure what happened, should I have waited longer? dunno, hopefuly my little input will help somebody else

My phone was bought off Amazon.co.uk

dvdgremlin

dvdgremlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm a noobie and decided to root my Moto G

BIG PROBLEM.

I followed the instructions here with  superboot and I didn't get supersu and did checks and it seemed that  the root hadn't worked.

so I ran it again and got the blue/black flashy screen as usual  and then nothing, zilch....  I couldn't get any response from any buttons.

After about 20-30 mins I got the standard moto screen (I took off the bootloader message before)  but it never boots. It sits there.

If I close it then it immediately reboots and does the same into the Moto screen.

If I get into bootloader I can then get into recovery but cannot reboot into a working phone.

So HEEEELP !!!!

I've tried recovery and it says MD5 mismatch.

any suggestions reallly needed and appreciated. I now have an expensive paperweight showing the recovery screen at the moment.  :(

dvdgremlin

dvdgremlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It gets better, NOT !

I did a factory reload which I had hoped to avoid.  m/c loads OK and then says there is an update for android to fix some bugs.  I load it and it gets half way and then says

"Signature verification fail"

at the bottom of the screen and

" Install Untrusted Package"

The options are yes, no or go back

at the top....

whichever one I try it then tries to boot shows the Android / Motorola screen and starts for 2-3 seconds...  it then goes back to Android recovery with the same options as above and repeats the process.  again and again and again.

any ideas ?

Edited by dvdgremlin, 13 June 2014 - 01:31 PM.

Meuuks36

Meuuks36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I rooted my phone and it seems fine.
The only thing that itches me is that SuperSu is saying that binary needs update and will use CWN recovery.
Should I do it because only the apps downloaded after rooting are shown in SuperSu and not the preloaded ones.

abcrahul

abcrahul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much Paul O Brien it worked really great.. thanks for your instructions..

Thanks creambyemute and i followed below instructions for windows 8 64 bit os
# Follow instructions until running the .bat file
# DO NOT run the .bat file with right click --> run as admin
# INSTEAD open CMD as admin --> navigate to the .bat file --> execute the .bat file

it is rooted now and i am able to install all the applications i need.

After running the batch file,i switched on my system after 20 mins and it is working great.

My phone is Moto G 16GB and i am from india..

Edited by abcrahul, 08 July 2014 - 06:38 AM.

Zoerrvivor

Zoerrvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB
Successfully rooted. Big thank you.

A_Caligari

A_Caligari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Will the root method work on KitKat 4.4.4 (just had to do a reinstall to update the phone) - thanks.

Amlas

Amlas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Dear Paul,

My Moto G turned off after running superboot on windows.. I have no clue what is happening :( . Can you guide me ? 

Amlas

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Dear Paul,

My Moto G turned off after running superboot on windows.. I have no clue what is happening :( . Can you guide me ? 

Amlas

It appears Paul has left the planet - either that or he's ignoring everyone.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

To be fair this is an old root method and there are many other, easier solutions out there now. And it is very likely that this method does not work on newer Moto G revisions.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (2)