How to flash to the standard UK ROM

106 replies to this topic

goods

goods

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

The key issue is whether the Moto G with Tesco Stores Ltd ROMs will get the KitKat update the same time as models with the standard UK retail ROM - the jury's out.

The Tesco Moto G is listed on the Motorola site & says it will get the 4.4 update, I see no reason why the retail version will get the update any sooner than the tesco.

https://motorola-glo...2w=/action/auth

willdashwood

willdashwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for this Paul. Just got a Tesco Moto G today and wanted to get it back on to stock right from the start. For anyone like me who wants a complete idiots guide from taking the phone out of the box on a Windows 7 (64bit) OS...

1. Download and install the Motorola Device Manager.
  2. Download and extract zip from Paul's first post (remember location)
  3. With USB cable not connected and phone currently powered off, hold volume down button and then power. You should get a plain text screen with "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" as the first option.
  4. Connect USB cable again
  5. Let ADB drivers install
  6. Open a command window by clicking on start menu, typing "cmd" in the search box and clicking on the only option that appears (cmd.exe).
  7. Change directory to the location of the extract zip file. For example: "cd C:\Users\User\Downloads\RETAIL-GB_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_cid7_CFC_1FF_svc.xml.modaco.r3\"
  8. Type "flash-windows.bat"
  9. Once that's finished (should take a couple of minutes) just select "Normal Powerup" from menu by pressing volume up.

I hope that's accurate. Feel free to suggest changes if I've remembered the order wrong. I'm no expert but always find these step-by-step guides for us noobs really helpful.

gavinfabl

gavinfabl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Has anyone who has had a Tesco version and done the above received the kitkat ota update yet? Nothing yet but probably just released for US customers perhaps?

My tech blog http://http://www.gavinsgadgets.co.uk - massive HTC One review

Current Devices HTC One, Nokia Lumia 620, BB Curve - Previous Note 2, iPhone 5, Samsung S3, Note, iPhone 4S

zerosignull

zerosignull

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Thanks for this Paul. Just got a Tesco Moto G today and wanted to get it back on to stock right from the start. For anyone like me who wants a complete idiots guide from taking the phone out of the box on a Windows 7 (64bit) OS...

1. Download and install the Motorola Device Manager.
  2. Download and extract zip from Paul's first post (remember location)
  3. With USB cable not connected and phone currently powered off, hold volume down button and then power. You should get a plain text screen with "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" as the first option.
  4. Connect USB cable again
  5. Let ADB drivers install
  6. Open a command window by clicking on start menu, typing "cmd" in the search box and clicking on the only option that appears (cmd.exe).
  7. Change directory to the location of the extract zip file. For example: "cd C:\Users\User\Downloads\RETAIL-GB_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_cid7_CFC_1FF_svc.xml.modaco.r3\"
  8. Type "flash-windows.bat"
  9. Once that's finished (should take a couple of minutes) just select "Normal Powerup" from menu by pressing volume up.

I hope that's accurate. Feel free to suggest changes if I've remembered the order wrong. I'm no expert but always find these step-by-step guides for us noobs really helpful.

+1 on the above. Ran from WIndows 8.1 x64. I ran the command Window in Admin mode just in case

h@mster81

h@mster81

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB
Can we flash a US retail rom this way?

thaicbr

thaicbr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Ok.. maybe a dumb question BUT. I live in Thailand, I'm getting a Moto G from Tesco. will i get the OTA over here in Thailand if i stay on the Tesco ROM.. I really don't know how it works . previous phones didn't have OTA.

Thanks in advance

buyone

buyone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:iPhone ZTE Blade 1 Moto G

I would like to say thank you for all the time & work that went into producing this.

Regards

plewis1981

plewis1981

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Technoligy, F1 and Cycling
  • Devices:Moto G
  • Twitter:@plewis1981
Hi all, Happy New Year:)

just a quick question, I see there is a recovery.img file included in the download, so just wanted to check whether this will wipe CWM? If so would I be able to swap the stock recovery.img file for the CWM one before flashing

Thanks in advance,

Edit, forgot to say my bootloader is unlocked, I know it would not work on a locked bootloader.

Edited by plewis1981, 01 January 2014 - 01:57 PM.

Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore I am perfect :)

If I have helped you PLEASE Press the +1 button
and don't forget to push the Dev's +1 buttons to.

DSent

DSent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Can someone please advise if flashing this ROM will wipe all the settings & data?

zakis

zakis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's a way to flash US rom. But make sure you're SIM unlocked first.

http://www.modaco.co...cked-uk-device/

Motorola site has US roms for KitKat, but not UK yet.

thatsnotme

thatsnotme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:moto g
Hello, I know it says it will on here, but can anyone confirm that when the UK OTA is eventually released it will come to de-branded tesco phones? Or will we need to flash KitKat manually?

seraphim2017

seraphim2017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Devices:G300

Thanks for this Paul and others, flashed my Tesco 8gb last night, nice work!

No Kit Kat yet and phone wiped all personal data but didn'thave much on it anyway as it's a backup phone for when I emigrate.  Hopefully will get Kitkat OTA.

P.S cos I'm such a noob as it were, I tried the paul way and the Dos box just flashed up and instantly dissapeared. Don't know excactly what did make it work but work it did. 

Only regret is I quite liked the wallpaper tesco had on it!

Now unbranded and living on 3 until I get to australia! :)

thought i'd check antutu and it scores around 17,00 which i assume is normal? not quite the advent vega (35,000!) but still very smooth!

Fedroid

Fedroid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Milestone 2 and Moto G
  • Twitter:@fedeblay

Hi everyone
After flashing I am getting this is error message each the I try to install an apk file "There was a problem parsing the package" these files actually worked fine on the tesco ROM
Tried check unknown source in setting unchecked verify app.... Clear cache .... Used apk manager and none of these seems to work
Any help/ suggestion most welcome

This is a well known bug of Stock Jellybean. Some people have received a little ota that repairs it. I'm suffering this bug too and without ota fix the solution is to install apks from google drive or Otg cable.

Greeetings

mandr0id

mandr0id

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So typical that people on Tesco ROM are actually receiving the OTA update already before us that have flashed UK standard :unsure:

turbodogleech

turbodogleech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:orange san francisco
  • Twitter:@none
Yep, sorry people, but my unlocked but otherwise untouched Tesco Moto G got it's over the air update to Kitkat tonight.

h@mster81

h@mster81

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB
Apparently update for retail ROMs is rolling out, too. I just wonder if Paul could repackage the updated KitKat ROM in the same he did with the original?

zakis

zakis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Installing update on my Tesco rom now :-)
It didn't push to mine overnight, so checked manually and got it.

zakis

zakis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
And it's solved my parsing error when installing apks. :-)
Don't personally see any reason for having stock Rom now.

sittinghere

sittinghere

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi guys is there a video on how to do this especially the command line bit please?

I have a Tesco Moto G and need to root it.

thanks.

audax-emerald

audax-emerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just seen an OTA update to a phone that had originally been a Tesco phone but which was flashed with the stock rom due to the lock on the voicemail number.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users