Can you recommend a wireless charging pad?

Guest compact101

Guest compact101

Now that the official one has been released.

Has anyone used it.

It is worth getting or shall I wait until the technology gets better?

I've read reviews of having to place the phone in a specific place to get it to charge.

Thanks

Guest comicbookguy

got one of these last week for use in the car for less than £12

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350920888042?var=620184536729&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

it's about the same diameter as the width of the phone and about 8mm thick, with a charging LED on one edge opposite the micro usb socket.

The phone has to sit centrally on the pad to work well, and you get a beep from the phone and a change in colour of the charger LED when it is located correctly

It came with 2 lengths of power only usb to micro usb leads (20cm and 1m), but no charger

My plan is to use it as top - up charger in the car so I've got it fitted into an old adjustable Brodit iPod mount and it works great. It charges well when connected to a griffin dual mini cigar lighter charger which also runs my Belkin Aircast bluetooth.

the removable Micro usb cable means it would be easy to revert to wired charging when i'm using satnav (satnav + screen on + bluetooth = hot phone and high power drain, so slow charging which may add to the heat issue is not worth it for me)

i gain about 10% charge in 40 minutes in the car, with screen always on with auto brightness, bluetooth connected and streaming with Poweramp. (i've not noticed any undue heat buildup in this configuration, because the phone is held in the optimum position on the charger and the amperage is low)

i've not really tried it on mains as that's not what i bought it for!

Edited by comicbookguy

• 2 months later...
Guest The Soup Thief

I have the two mentioned above. Both are good - I slightly prefer the 1st one (the round one) but only cos it's smaller and a bit neater. The second is maybe slightly easier to use in that there's less risk of misplacing your phone and it not charging.

I'm looking to get one of these for my desk at work but they don't ship to Ireland

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271329239508&globalID=EBAY-US

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chapstickman

This is one of my favorite features in new phones...i picked up a 12 dollar unit on ebay before i even got my N5 it works well, though it does heat up a bit right before it is finished charging. My lady however got a Note 3 S Charger Kit and I got the chance to use the samsung S Charger Pad that comes with it and i think i'll need to spring for one, it looks nice has a lot of real estate for the phone, no over heating, not even a little and it has an LED on it to indicate charge.... 

• 5 months later...
Guest karirkerja

This is one of my favorite features in new phones...i picked up a 12 dollar unit on ebay before i even got my N5 it works well, though it does heat up a bit right before it is finished charging. My lady however got a Note 3 S Charger Kit and I got the chance to use the samsung S Charger Pad that comes with it and i think i'll need to spring for one, it looks nice has a lot of real estate for the phone, no over heating, not even a little and it has an LED on it to indicate charge.... 

I'm agree with your statement

Edited by karirkerja

• 2 months later...
Guest The Soup Thief

Can you place 2 phones on and charge at the same time

One on top of the other? No

They only have a short effective range (5mm or so) so unless your devices are paper thin you couldn't piggyback them & keep the coils within range. Plus I'm sure if you could get both in range charging would be slow since your wall charger is only throwing out around 0.5-1a.

There used to be some Powermat dual /side by side chargers but I haven't seen any qi ones like that

Actually, Google tells me there are a few, eg http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IAC0B04?pc_redir=1411898203&robot_redir=1 Bit pricey

Cheaper one here through AliExpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/qi-standard-dual-charger-wireless-charging-pad-transmitter-for-mobile-phones-factory/1441274467.html

• 1 year later...