Connecting to PC

Guest jimscreechy

Guest jimscreechy

Firstly I must confess my ignorance with technology, in addition to being somewhat late to the smartphone revolution which I hope will enlighten you to my plight. 

I recently purchased a Moto-G but am seriously frustrated after only a few days of use.  Allow me to explain further.  After hanging on to my Nokia N95 for dear life for the last 7 years I was forced to relinquish my dependance on it after accumulating issues of reliability from wear and tear. 

I used to have my Nokia N95 connected via bluetooth to my PC, and using the Nokia PC software suite I could type texts from my pc and just send them without even having to lay a finger on the actual phone.  This was a massive bonus as a touch typer and very heavy texter both work work and social purposes.    

Unfortunately (possibly through ignorance, hence this post) I can find no way to use the same facility on my Moto G.  I downloaded the 'MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.5.exe fro the Motorola website 32.8MB and installed it successfully, but there is no software that I can run which allows me to do anything.  Actually I was quite surprised after installing this rather large package (just for drivers), that all I seemed to get was an icon on the taskbar that gives me 3 options when right-clicked.

When device connects -> do nothing (ticked & doesn't even allow un-ticking)

Check for device update.

Update Motorola Device manager. 

Thats it!  Nothing to edit contracts send mail, nothing to back the phone up or restore, nothing to connect it any of the pc's facilities nothing!   Even the motorola program group in the start menu has the exact same icon which will only run the process if I kill it using the taskbar.

I'm stuck and need help.

Lengend (or at least the similarly technologically challenged guy who sits beside me at work -who picks his nose constantly I might add) speculates I may need an 'App' to do this, but certainty evades both of us.  "Googling" hasn't given me any answer remotely close to insightful, and from what I can gather most people seem content to ignore this life saving facility in favour of thrashing away at the touch screen happy with the limitation of single finger input, which quite frankly has me pulling my hair out. 

At any rate I was directed to this forum as I'm told members possess an of enormous amount of  knowledge on such matters.  

I would certainly appreciate any information anyone could give me.

Thanks

Guest Allewar

Firstly I must confess my ignorance with technology, in addition to being somewhat late to the smartphone revolution which I hope will enlighten you to my plight.

I recently purchased a Moto-G but am seriously frustrated after only a few days of use. Allow me to explain further. After hanging on to my Nokia N95 for dear life for the last 7 years I was forced to relinquish my dependance on it after accumulating issues of reliability from wear and tear.

I used to have my Nokia N95 connected via bluetooth to my PC, and using the Nokia PC software suite I could type texts from my pc and just send them without even having to lay a finger on the actual phone. This was a massive bonus as a touch typer and very heavy texter both work work and social purposes.

Unfortunately (possibly through ignorance, hence this post) I can find no way to use the same facility on my Moto G. I downloaded the 'MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.5.exe fro the Motorola website 32.8MB and installed it successfully, but there is no software that I can run which allows me to do anything. Actually I was quite surprised after installing this rather large package (just for drivers), that all I seemed to get was an icon on the taskbar that gives me 3 options when right-clicked.

When device connects -> do nothing (ticked & doesn't even allow un-ticking)

Check for device update.

Update Motorola Device manager.

Thats it! Nothing to edit contracts send mail, nothing to back the phone up or restore, nothing to connect it any of the pc's facilities nothing! Even the motorola program group in the start menu has the exact same icon which will only run the process if I kill it using the taskbar.

I'm stuck and need help.

Lengend (or at least the similarly technologically challenged guy who sits beside me at work -who picks his nose constantly I might add) speculates I may need an 'App' to do this, but certainty evades both of us. "Googling" hasn't given me any answer remotely close to insightful, and from what I can gather most people seem content to ignore this life saving facility in favour of thrashing away at the touch screen happy with the limitation of single finger input, which quite frankly has me pulling my hair out.

At any rate I was directed to this forum as I'm told members possess an of enormous amount of knowledge on such matters.

I would certainly appreciate any information anyone could give me.

Thanks

Search for an app called Airdroid... It allows you to send SMS texts on your browser over wifi