GApps for CM11 (last updated: 2015-03-13)

Guest rhen

Guest choslimi

GApps package updated.

Changes:

- Based on PA-Google Apps Pico Modular now (basically the only changes is lowered buffer size and replaced Play Services)
- Google Calendar Sync updated to v4.4.4-1230475

It seems like this will be the last package what fits on the /system partition without needed to delete some system app.
It seems like Play Services 6.1 will be 7MB larger than the current one and Play Store 5.0 is also on the way.

So future GApps versions will delete the following stuff as needed:
CMWallpapers, LiveWallpapers, Movie Studio

Any suggestion is welcomed. What to delete from the original ROM?

Rhen, thanks for keeping this going.

I can manage without the bootanimation (1.9Mb), the 3 you have listed above (14.6Mb). I have also deleted the alarms (1.1Mb .ogg files), the notifications (1.6Mb) and the ringtones (7.7Mb) apart from the one or two of each that I use. I haven't dared delete the UI .ogg files (but they are only 117Kb anyway). I don't use Apollo (1.6Mb) and I am sure there will be people who don't use Email (4.8Mb). Just looking quickly through the files, there are 20Mb of font files - if they are not essential, I don't mind going without them.

Regards, choslimi

Rhen, thanks for keeping this going.

I can manage without the bootanimation (1.9Mb), the 3 you have listed above (14.6Mb). I have also deleted the alarms (1.1Mb .ogg files), the notifications (1.6Mb) and the ringtones (7.7Mb) apart from the one or two of each that I use. I haven't dared delete the UI .ogg files (but they are only 117Kb anyway). I don't use Apollo (1.6Mb) and I am sure there will be people who don't use Email (4.8Mb). Just looking quickly through the files, there are 20Mb of font files - if they are not essential, I don't mind going without them.

Regards, choslimi

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

I want to delete stuff that don't needed to anyone. In first place I would like to delete only cosmetic stuff. (Live)Wallpapers, Ringtones, Fonts.

I'm 90% ready with the next update. It will delete only wallpaper stuff.

Package updated.

Changes:

- Google Play services updated to v6.1.05 (1438406-034)
- Now removes the following apps to make space for the updated Play Services:
    - CyanogenMod Wallpapers: CMWallpapers.apk
    - Live Wallpapers: Galaxy4.apk, HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk, LiveWallpapers.apk, MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk, NoiseField.apk, PhaseBeam.apk, PhotoPhase.apk, VisualizationWallpapers.apk

I keep the 20140916a version available for download for people who rather use an older package than delete the above stuff.

Guest choslimi

Package updated.

Changes:

- Google Play services updated to v6.1.05 (1438406-034)
- Now removes the following apps to make space for the updated Play Services:
    - CyanogenMod Wallpapers: CMWallpapers.apk
    - Live Wallpapers: Galaxy4.apk, HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk, LiveWallpapers.apk, MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk, NoiseField.apk, PhaseBeam.apk, PhotoPhase.apk, VisualizationWallpapers.apk

I keep the 20140916a version available for download for people who rather use an older package than delete the above stuff.

Hi rhen,

I am not sure what happened, but during the first couple of days of using your 20140918 update I got a lot of google location errors and play services errors.I tried wiping cache but that didn't fix it. Eventually, I got fed up repeatedly pressing "ok" to the error message, so I've reverted to your 20140916a version for the moment, and all seems well. I can provide more accurate error messages if required.

Rgds, choslimi

update 20140926 - problem gone away

Edited by choslimi

Hi rhen,

I am not sure what happened, but during the first couple of days of using your 20140918 update I got a lot of google location errors and play services errors.I tried wiping cache but that didn't fix it. Eventually, I got fed up repeatedly pressing "ok" to the error message, so I've reverted to your 20140916a version for the moment, and all seems well. I can provide more accurate error messages if required.

Rgds, choslimi

Hi!

I haven't experienced this problem. I've deleted dalvik cache after update the GApps package. You can try the clean update too.

Do you use this? [GUIDE] Tweaking Google Play Services to use less RAM

I have re-enabled all the services before updated to the new GApps with the new Play Services. I'll review that stuff if it works with the new Play Services too.

I've tested the guide and modified as I use now with 6.1 Play Services.

Edited by rhen

I made a mistake in the recent version's addon.d script that prevents the GApps package to restored correctly after ROM update.
I've updated the package. Update from 2014-09-18 and 25 is highly recommended!

The filename contains the date 20140924, is it OK?

Sure. It is 20140924a.

I didn't want to change "version number" for this little change, so it only get an "a" do distinguish from the previous version.

Package updated with the following changes:

- Fixed addon.d Backup/Restore scripts to work on devices with non-ext4 formatted internal sdcards
  - Thanks to @osm0sis for ALL THE WORK on this and a special thanks to @hvihavai, @jmolinuevo, and @medmonie for the MULTIPLE rounds of testing required
  - This should address the issue of missing apps and/or libs that users with affected devices may have experienced
- Google Play services updated to v6.1.11 (1474901-034)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MrPuddington

This package is a great idea, but it does not install for me - I am missing about 200kB of space. Is that normal, or what can I do about it? I am on the 2014-10-08 nightly - I hope that is close to CM11 M11.

This package is a great idea, but it does not install for me - I am missing about 200kB of space. Is that normal, or what can I do about it? I am on the 2014-10-08 nightly - I hope that is close to CM11 M11.

What version you have tried to install?

The 20140916a or the 20141019?

Have you tried formatting the /system partition than install ROM than GApps?

(an updated package coming tonight with updated play services)

It was the 20141019 version. But when I used the latest ROM, the problem went away. It seems the 2011008 was a bit fat...

Yes, back around that date the ROM was a little larger.

Updated GApps is online.

The updated Play Services is the only change.

Hello,

I need a help, my friend flashed CM11, but when he booted it was without Google play, he tried it again but some error about insufficent storage keeps popping up.

Here's what it says. http://prntscr.com/503rk4

Hi,

This is not my GApps package.

The PA Stock package alone bigger than the /system partition of the G300. No GApps package from original thread will work. Even the Pico package is too big.

Use my package and it will work fine.

Your gapps have always worked for me and been CM user for a long time, however yesterday I wanted to do a clean install and got a problem. I format every partition, wipe data, install CM and gapps from your post, everything seems OK, but when phone finally boots up, there's no google store and it doesn't ask for google sign in. Why? no other gapps work, this seems to install no prob, but wont appear in apps.

Edited by lulume

Your gapps have always worked for me and been CM user for a long time, however yesterday I wanted to do a clean install and got a problem. I format every partition, wipe data, install CM and gapps from your post, everything seems OK, but when phone finally boots up, there's no google store and it doesn't ask for google sign in. Why? no other gapps work, this seems to install no prob, but wont appear in apps.

Have you formatted the /system partition?

Are you sure the GApps package is installed?

Not just the installer exit with the message "Insufficient storage space available in System partition. You may want to use a smaller ROM or wipe device and start over"?

Can you post the pa_gapps.log file?

Edited by rhen

• 2 weeks later...

Since PA GApps installer updated to 2.0, two of my GApps modification become obsolete.

1. The new installer contain every Google Play Services version and installs the proper one.
  2. It makes the ability to use a small (2MB) buffer for ROM grown.

The only modification left is delete some CM stuff.

Considering the above I have three options to keep the GApps package updated:

1. Integrate delete CM part into the PA 2.0 installer - In this case you only need this package to install/update GApps - This need the most work from me
  2. Keep the existing installer and update only the GApps files. - In this case, you also only need one package - The same work as before
  3. Make a flashable zip that remove the CM part and after this, you can use the original PA GApps. - In this case, you need to download and install my zip only once and need to place a simple one line txt file on your SD card, than you can use the original PA GApps in the future. - This need about the same work as the 2. option, but only once. You can use the PA GApps in the future.

I made a poll in the thread to see what people prefer.

I will be make the 3. option today, but I may do the option 1 or 2 later if there is significant interest.

Instructions for installing the Latest PA GApps Pico Modular package:

What you need:

- Download the latest non Uni PA GApps Pico Modular package from here: BasketBuild | Android File Host | Dev-Host

- Download the delete-CM-stuff-20141120-signed.zip from here: Google Drive | MediaFire

The installation method:

1. Copy the downloaded files to the root of your SD card.

2. (optional) Format /system /cache, Wipe Dalvik Cache.

3. (optional) Install latest CM11.

4. Install delete-CM-stuff-20141120-signed.zip.

5. Install PA Gapps (currently pa_gapps-modular-pico-4.4.4-20141119-signed.zip).

For updating GApps in the future you will only need the PA GApps and the gapps-config.txt (this will not change).

(If you update with formatting the /system partition, you will need the delete-CM-stuff-20141120-signed.zip again.)

This guide will be moved to the first post if this install method remain the chosen one. Done

Edited by rhen

If you have installed the latest version, please don't do OTA yet!

I have made a mistake in the delete package and it will break GApps upon OTA update.

Its not hard to fix, but I don't have my private key in hand to sign the package.

Fixed package should be online about 15:30 CET.