SIM unlock on a custom ROM?

Guest Tippon

Basically, is there any way to do it? I've just got my phone set up as I want it, and don't want to have to go through setting everything up to my liking again just to unlock it.

If there's no way, can I create an image of my phone as is, then restore it once I've unlocked? I'm going from Vodafone to Virgin, if that makes any difference :)

You mean the phone is locked to Vodafone and you want to unlock it?

You need to get an unlock code - e.g.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362050-modaco-approved-huawei-unlock-codes-request-here-375/

As far as I know you need to do this in a stock ROM. I don't think that custom ROMs will prompt for the SIM/network/carrier unlock PIN.

Install CWM/TWRP, backup your current setup, install stock, unlock, install CWM/TWRP again and restore your backup.

Edited by dalyer

Thanks Dalyer :)

I was hoping to avoid it, but it doesn't look possible :( Backing everything up now ready to sort it tomorrow.

On the plus side, I'll have unlimited internet in time for Xmas :D

Thanks Jamie, but I ordered the unlock codes last night (one each for me and the wife). Ordered them while the back up was running, but half an hour later we had a power cut, so the backup didn't complete. Got the fun job of trying to backup again tonight :angry2: