Its here ...

Guest grabster

Guest punjabi

Hi guys,

Bought this little beast a few weeks ago and loving it... I've read many US articles about the 4.4 KitKat release but when will we be getting this in the UK...? :D

Guest Simon O

You can only flash the OTA applicable for the ROM you are currently using. The UK won't get Kitkat until next month so wait until them for OTA updates.

If you are rooted then you'll have no problem applying the OTA automatically or manually as long as you haven't made any changes to the system. That means you haven't modified any system files, deleted apps or anything else like that as it will prevent OTA updates from applying. If you've made changes then you'll need to re-flash with the stock ROM, apply OTA then root your device again.

There is also the possibility that users that have rooted using the superboot image will not be able to apply updates if the update needs to make changes to the boot image. You can easily fix this by flashing the original boot.img through fastboot though.

So to clarify:

If you rooted with the patched recovery, have superuser and have made no changes to the system yourself = OTA will work
If you have remove apps from the system, modified any files then = OTA possibly will fail
If you have used superboot to root then OTA possibly will fail.

Of course there will be custom packaged kitkat roms for users to flash onto existing devices so users might want to wait for them if they don't want to mess about. 

Anyone using kitkat yet ?  

I assumed that this being a global release meant it was available to all ?

Officially US at first, and even then only a small percentage of people actually get it. Non-USA some time in the next few weeks. Unofficially a custom rom may appear in the next few days, stock 4.4.2 or CM11.

Guest Simon O

There is an unofficial ROM on XDA-Developers built from the US update for AWS devices but it has quite a few issues on other variants. High battery usage, slow data speeds or non-functioning radio.

Honestly it's better to just wait a few weeks for the update to reach all variants. 4.4 isn't that much different from 4.3 for the average user.

Guest Simon O

It's funny. All the work being done to get this little update working is pretty pointless when OTA will be out for US Global and international devices soon. No hacks, no having to wipe your device etc. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MickJack

Thanks H@mster81, can see the update is on the motorola page, following the instructions, but my handset is not seeing the update. Guess there is no rush.

Tesco 16g motoG - don't know if that makes a difference.

Guest markhuges

I just want to make 100% sure

I have the tesco 8gb VERISON and I. Unlocked it. Via ebay code

Will I get the update over the air ? I should right ?? Since unlocking has nothing to do with VERISON updates

Guest fuzzyy

Just so everyone's clear: nothing's changed. You won't see any updates in the UK, that message isn't to us. You can apply the American update with instructions elsewhere in the forum.

Guest gavin.19

Just so everyone's clear: nothing's changed. You won't see any updates in the UK, that message isn't to us. You can apply the American update with instructions elsewhere in the forum.

Could you expand a bit on why you think nothing has changed or why we won't see any updates?

From a thread on XDA it says that the KLB20.9-1.10-1.9 relates to Europe. The US page lists 172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US as the build/version id. The update page seems to have only been added yesterday. There is no OTA update available on my phone yet, but it looks like they're at least prepping for it.

You can apply the American update with instructions elsewhere in the forum. 

Yes, if your phone is unlocked, and even then some people with handsets from Tesco have reported issues. Also, it needs a wipe, as opposed to just being able to update to 4.4.

Guest fuzzyy

Could you expand a bit on why you think nothing has changed or why we won't see any updates?

From a thread on XDA it says that the KLB20.9-1.10-1.9 relates to Europe. The US page lists 172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US as the build/version id. The update page seems to have only been added yesterday. There is no OTA update available on my phone yet, but it looks like they're at least prepping for it.

Yes, if your phone is unlocked, and even then some people with handsets from Tesco have reported issues. Also, it needs a wipe, as opposed to just being able to update to 4.4.

Sorry, didn't realise that. I'd seen the page before hamster's post, so assumed it was old, and I don't really read xda. Still, since no-one actually has the update yet, It's not really 'here'.

Guest MickJack

Yes I know I can apply the American update but quite happy with the phone and don't mind waiting for an official ota.

Have exchanged a couple of emails with motorola uk support, either they don't know or understand whats on the web page or they are unable to say, least way's it's wait and see.

Guest markhuges

Yes I know I can apply the American update but quite happy with the phone and don't mind waiting for an official ota.

Have exchanged a couple of emails with motorola uk support, either they don't know or understand whats on the web page or they are unable to say, least way's it's wait and see.

Same, I cba to flash the US Verison and get it.   I wait 3 weeks , if no sign of kitkat then ill do it.  Just hope ist ASAP