Don't buy this expecting cheap unlock

Guest ArcticFox

Guest ArcticFox

I think it's safe to say from this point on if you buy a Moto G your IMEI won't be on the servers.

I bought 8GB on Boxing Day and just tried to unlock it using ebay and the seller cancelled and refunded my money.

Guest TescoHudl

Same here, i tried to unlock my Tesco 16GB Moto G via an Ebay seller yesterday, and he said that the code wasn't on the servers. I bought my Moto G about three or four months ago, so it's not just the new devices.

djdiablo5, on 27 Dec 2013 - 2:01 PM, said:

Is there actually any way to unlock the phone? any??!

Being someone who bought this phone the day before this message was posted, I was a bit alarmed too. However, I see that Tesco Mobile (who a lot of locked phones come from, I expect), say

"Phones on Pay as you go are free to unlock 12 months after activation. We don’t offer an unlocking service on iPhones that were activated less than 12 months ago. We'll charge you £20 to unlock any other Pay as you go phone in the first 12 months."

While it's not exactly 'cheap', it's not too expensive either.

Guest ahardie

I'm not doubting some people are having a problem but if you look at this ebay sellers feedback he still has quite a few giving him positive feedback today for unlocking Moto G's.

Guest bonyback

I'm not doubting some people are having a problem but if you look at this ebay sellers feedback he still has quite a few giving him positive feedback today for unlocking Moto G's.

I have to say one of the feedback was from me. Got the code within 30 mins. but not sure if all others are the same. the one I bought was directly from Tesco about 1 week ago. hope that helped some one. 

Guest TescoHudl

I'm gonna try that one now. I'll report back on what happens. :-)

Guest djdiablo5

Being someone who bought this phone the day before this message was posted, I was a bit alarmed too. However, I see that Tesco Mobile (who a lot of locked phones come from, I expect), say

"Phones on Pay as you go are free to unlock 12 months after activation. We don’t offer an unlocking service on iPhones that were activated less than 12 months ago. We'll charge you £20 to unlock any other Pay as you go phone in the first 12 months."

While it's not exactly 'cheap', it's not too expensive either.

Really really thanks! I didn't know this, I will look in to it :) Many thanks

Guest ArcticFox

They are one of the sellers I tried and it rejected my IMEI. I did try another and they said there was another way using "server 2" and that it would be £5.50 to unlock but would take 3 business days, fingers crossed it works.

Edited by ArcticFox

Guest Simon O

The thing is that many people have unlocked the Moto G without problems so it's weird how some cannot be unlocked right now.

The best options would be to add the £20 unlock cost to the Tesco price when comparing it against other devices, or just buy the phone from Phones4u. 

Guest jusumgeezer

As mentioned in another post, I've had 2 of the 8GB models, the first one was bought instore when it was first released. I tried 2 sellers on ebay, both failed & said it wasn't recognised by the Motorola servers (2 servers they use) both sellers refunded my money.

I thought it was because I had the 8GB as most people have bought the 16GB & unlocked fine.

However yesterday I bought a second 8GB model, again from instore, I was even close to buying the 16GB purely so I could unlock.Then by chance when I got home I found I still hadn't been refunded for one of my purchases, so I emailed the seller & asked him to check the new IMEI just out of curosity before he refunded me.

Low & behold a code was pinged back withon an hour & although I thought I had wasted my money it worked first time!!

Although I do know first hand that Tesco often have issues unlocking phones. Even at the end of a 2 year contract or if you pay the £20 sometimes they can't do it.

This was my seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221326995328?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649   1x failure 1 x success

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest TescoHudl

They are one of the sellers I tried and it rejected my IMEI. I did try another and they said there was another way using "server 2" and that it would be £5.50 to unlock but would take 3 business days, fingers crossed it works.

Let us know what happens, i had the same offer from a seller i tried. Wasn't sure whether to proceed with the deal or not.

Guest ahardie

The seller posted by 'ahardie' wasn't able to find the code either. Awaiting refund... :-(

Sorry! I should point out though that I wasn't trying to say there wasn't a problem, just saying it seems to be working for some. Having said that the people who are getting refunds aren't posting feedback so it's not possible to know what proportion of people aren't able to get a code from the usual cheap sources.

Guest TescoHudl

Sorry! I should point out though that I wasn't trying to say there wasn't a problem, just saying it seems to be working for some. Having said that the people who are getting refunds aren't posting feedback so it's not possible to know what proportion of people aren't able to get a code from the usual cheap sources.

Don't worry about it, i'm pleased that you posted a link to the sellers listing. It's better if people post up possible solutions rather than not bother with it! Anyway, i managed to get my money back, the seller just wanted to confirm he had the right IMEI number and network. :-)

Guest plewis1981

Just wondering how many people have had problems unlocking the 16gb tesco version of this phone as I will be getting one tomorrow, and its been hard enough to work enough money out the missus to get the 16gb without dropping another £20 on her for an unlock code lol.

Guest WillDroid

Yeah I have had three successful unlock codes from smgreen1969 :) Very happy with the service, quick turnaround. 

They were all 16GB Tesco Moto Gs one bought about a month ago, one about three weeks ago and one about a week and a half ago, two from a store near me on click and collect and one from a Tesco phone shop a few miles away so seems a bit pot luck.

Bill

Same success for me. 3x Tesco 16Gb purchased approx a month ago, all via Tesco Direct and all successfully unlocked with codes from smgreen1969. Codes returned quickly. I did do *#06# in the phone dialler to get it to tell me the imei number rather than go from the box label....