• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

misterbartlett

misterbartlett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Dell Studio 17

This is strange. I don't understand why people are having problems with the unlock. I bought my Moto G on 20-11-2013 from Tesco for £99, locked to their own network, not even a O2 SIM card would work. Anyway, within the next day or so,  I seen other users were able to unlock through the IMEI and code entry, purchasing the code from Ebay for just over £2 - £2.04 IIRC), which made me take the gamble. Long story short, I too purchased the unlock code through the same Ebay user and to my surprise... Code Accepted - Unlocked for any network. 

I have since unlocked bootloader, installed CWM / custom ROM and rotted the device... not rotted sorry, that sounds disgusting  :huh: .. ROOTED the device, but no problems so far - still unlocked.

So i suppose, my message here is to say, don't be put off buying the phone because of troubles unlocking, because it is very possible - both cheap and easy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the ebay seller I used or not, so I have left it out of this post. I'm happy to PM though. It's a lot of phone for not a lot of money to miss out on.

Hope you all had a good xmas and new year ahead.

Mark.

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

This is strange. I don't understand why people are having problems with the unlock. I bought my Moto G on 20-11-2013 from Tesco for £99, locked to their own network, not even a O2 SIM card would work. Anyway, within the next day or so,  I seen other users were able to unlock through the IMEI and code entry, purchasing the code from Ebay for just over £2 - £2.04 IIRC), which made me take the gamble. Long story short, I too purchased the unlock code through the same Ebay user and to my surprise... Code Accepted - Unlocked for any network. 

I have since unlocked bootloader, installed CWM / custom ROM and rotted the device... not rotted sorry, that sounds disgusting  :huh: .. ROOTED the device, but no problems so far - still unlocked.

So i suppose, my message here is to say, don't be put off buying the phone because of troubles unlocking, because it is very possible - both cheap and easy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the ebay seller I used or not, so I have left it out of this post. I'm happy to PM though. It's a lot of phone for not a lot of money to miss out on.

Hope you all had a good xmas and new year ahead.

Mark.

CAn you please post the Link of which seller you used to unlock the phone? thank you and 

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate/Y300/Moto G

This is strange. I don't understand why people are having problems with the unlock.

There is nothing to understand. It (whatever the service actually is) works for some and not for others. I ordered my 8GB model on the 27th and it was available to collect today. The main seller was listed as 'on vacation' so I used another instead. 3 hours later and I got a message saying that the IMEI was rejected.

fuzzyy

fuzzyy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, Huawei G300
gavin.19, on 30 Dec 2013 - 5:21 PM, said:

There is nothing to understand. It (whatever the service actually is) works for some and not for others. I ordered my 8GB model on the 27th and it was available to collect today. The main seller was listed as 'on vacation' so I used another instead. 3 hours later and I got a message saying that the IMEI was rejected.

Are you going to try 'server 2', the 5.50 unlock, or the 20 pound one from Tesco

Moto G 8GB

Tesco 4.4

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Are you going to try 'server 2', the 5.50 unlock, or the 20 pound one from Tesco

I haven't had a response to the reply I sent about an hour ago. There was no mention of a refund or if they offered the alternative server method, but if they do then I'll certainly try it. My sister has one that she bought ~6 weeks ago so I might give that a shot and just swap handsets if it works.

It's more important I keep the number, not really fussed about the network. From what I've heard they're comparably cheap/reliable to O2 anyway so I might just jump ship and move the number over.

fuzzyy

fuzzyy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, Huawei G300
gavin.19, on 30 Dec 2013 - 6:12 PM, said:

I haven't had a response to the reply I sent about an hour ago. There was no mention of a refund or if they offered the alternative server method, but if they do then I'll certainly try it. My sister has one that she bought ~6 weeks ago so I might give that a shot and just swap handsets if it works.

It's more important I keep the number, not really fussed about the network. From what I've heard they're comparably cheap/reliable to O2 anyway so I might just jump ship and move the number over.

Yeah, they use the same masts as O2 so coverage should be the same. I don't think all the sellers can do the other method, I didn't have to worry about it.

Moto G 8GB

Tesco 4.4

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Android Modding, Cars, Computers, Gaming, Photography
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G and Tesco Hudl
This one is 'Especially for Tesco Mobile phones' apparently. I've bought a code from this guy already and it didn't work, but i dunno whether this more expensive one made for Tesco phones in particular will work? I sent him a message with my IMEI and am waiting for a response on whether he can get the unlocking code. http://pages.ebay.co...id=321286689814

Edited by TescoHudl, 30 December 2013 - 07:28 PM.

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

This one is 'Especially for Tesco Mobile phones' apparently. I've bought a code from this guy already and it didn't work, but i dunno whether this more expensive one made for Tesco phones in particular will work? I sent him a message with my IMEI and am waiting for a response on whether he can get the unlocking code. http://pages.ebay.co...id=321286689814

That's the same guy I used earlier. I'll try this listing too. If it fails I'll just get my PAC from O2 and migrate to Tesco.

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Android Modding, Cars, Computers, Gaming, Photography
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G and Tesco Hudl

That's the same guy I used earlier. I'll try this listing too. If it fails I'll just get my PAC from O2 and migrate to Tesco.

Let us know what happens. I'm still waiting for a response to my message.

In smgreens's listing, it shows that the unlocking servers will be offline until the 1st January, so i don't know whether it will be the same with this chap. It might take until Wednesday before anything happens with the codes. :(

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Let us know what happens. I'm still waiting for a response to my message.

In smgreens's listing, it shows that the unlocking servers will be offline until the 1st January, so i don't know whether it will be the same with this chap. It might take until Wednesday before anything happens with the codes. :(

I'm sure they all use the same servers. As soon as I get the code (or don't), I'll leave a message.

EDIT: I got a reply informing me of a refund for the first listing, then I got another one about half an hour later saying exactly the same thing for the Tesco-specific listing. IMEI rejected again. I'm sorely tempted to just go the PAC route so I can at least start using the phone properly. If it's an issue with waiting for the servers to be updated then it could be weeks, if ever. I'm not going to sit around trying different unlockers every so often on the chance it'll work. I'm going to check out the £20 Tesco route as a last resort.

Edited by gavin.19, 30 December 2013 - 10:45 PM.

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I'm sure they all use the same servers. As soon as I get the code (or don't), I'll leave a message.

EDIT: I got a reply informing me of a refund for the first listing, then I got another one about half an hour later saying exactly the same thing for the Tesco-specific listing. IMEI rejected again. I'm sorely tempted to just go the PAC route so I can at least start using the phone properly. If it's an issue with waiting for the servers to be updated then it could be weeks, if ever. I'm not going to sit around trying different unlockers every so often on the chance it'll work. I'm going to check out the £20 Tesco route as a last resort.

Give it a week and then try and ask the seller if the servers are updated ( since its new years i assume) wait until Jan 5-9th and then try !

Best of luck!! 

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Give it a week and then try and ask the seller if the servers are updated ( since its new years i assume) wait until Jan 5-9th and then try !

Best of luck!! 

Cheers. I gave in and transferred to Tesco, although it'll probably not be until the 2nd/3rd until it's completed. I will do as you suggested though and try again in a week or two, then I can switch back to O2.

philipsp

philipsp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:T-mobile Pulse

Just to add my experience.

Ordered a Moto g 8GB from Tesco on the 28th December. It came on the 30th. Applied for an unlock code mnz.technologies.ltd on the 30th and the unlock code was with me by the morning of 31st when I used the unlock code and it worked.

oe79

oe79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:MOTO G, Orange San Francisco

I bought the phone from Tesco and bought an bought the unlock code from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111223239973

It took about twenty minutes to get the email with the unlock number. I entered it and it worked first time.

Edited by oe79, 01 January 2014 - 11:21 PM.

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I bought the phone from Tesco and bought an bought the unlock code from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111223239973

It took about twenty minutes to get the email with the unlock number. I entered it and it worked first time.

He has been on holiday for 2-3 days but says he'll be back today (2nd). I'll probably just wait a week or two to give the servers time to update and try again.

I should mention that the other seller issued a prompt refund on both the listings that I tried, ie the base £2 one and the £5 'Tesco-specific' one. Neither worked, but you get a refund anyway so I'd just try the £2 first.

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

He has been on holiday for 2-3 days but says he'll be back today (2nd). I'll probably just wait a week or two to give the servers time to update and try again.

I should mention that the other seller issued a prompt refund on both the listings that I tried, ie the base £2 one and the £5 'Tesco-specific' one. Neither worked, but you get a refund anyway so I'd just try the £2 first.

Hey best of luck to you !!! I'm supsiered it didn't work ! Like I said. Wait a week and then try

Btw I also ,a aged to get my 8gb tesco unlocked. From the mnztechnology seller £2.03!

After a few days (ideally 6th jan) ask him again ! I'm sure it will work as servers are liklyely to be update

0066ad

0066ad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

In Ireland these phones seem to lock on to the network that you put the first sim card is into them.

I've never seen this before, bought the phone in a meteor store which wasn't my network, they guy asked me do I wont a sim card as it is locked to meteor 

I declined, thought I was going to have get  unlocked anyway but when I got home tried my sim and it worked. Thought I was lucky and got a sim free phone so tried 

a sim from meteor and guess what it asked for a sim unlock code.

Edited by 0066ad, 03 January 2014 - 12:46 AM.

RottenFoxBreath

RottenFoxBreath

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

16gb version bought from local Tesco yesterday, code from smgreen1969 @ £1.99 worked a treat.

Posted Image

t-bon3

t-bon3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Android
  • Devices:Moto G, Nexus 7

Yes looks like most people are getting their unlocks just fine, I've unlocked 2 Tesco Moto G's today, an 8GB and a 16GB.

Looking at the purchase history on ebay, smgreen1969 has unlocked almost 6,000 Moto G's and mnz.technologies.ltd nearly 7,000, both of them are unlocking more than 100 Moto G's a day.  :ph34r:

gavin.19

gavin.19

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

The more expensive unlock method worked for me - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160993247848

Got my code in a little over 24 hours.

Edited by gavin.19, 07 January 2014 - 03:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users