[DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 11.0 (Android 4.4.2) for ZTE V9

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

this is my CyanogenMod 11.0 based rom for ZTE V9 - the resistive screen model. NOTE this is NOT an official CyanogenMod rom. it is suitable for developers and advanced users. it is likely to have bugs and be incomplete and to eat all your data. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. having said that, this is the rom that I use daily and it works well for me.

post-1008487-0-43915000-1388413528_thumbpost-1008487-0-28819100-1388413512_thumbpost-1008487-0-01867800-1388413500_thumbpost-1008487-0-71304400-1388413543_thumb

cm-11-20140407-PenguinKANG-v9.zip (goo.gl/fJdG81) from mega. there are also mirrors at yandex disk and google drive (thanks to RKucherov)

md5sum b0599829a16cf02a066acb400ae3093c

get a cut-down gapps from the first post here

use this ClockworkMod Recovery which uses the home/menu/back touch screen buttons.

md5sum 302fa9d7f8b7bdbb76ad5e73c6d5e582

Downloading & Installing

the download site mega has significant cpu and memory usage, so downloading the rom directly to your v9 is unlikely to work. download to a PC and then transfer the rom zip to the v9's sdcard, then boot to CWM, backup, format /system, install the rom, install gapps. downloading from google drive or yandex is more likely to work directly to the v9's sdcard.

NOTE: no matter what the source - always check that the md5sum is correct!

Important Notes

- backup all your v9 including /data and /sd-ext before trying this rom. it is highly likely that things will break if you flip back and forward between cm10.2 and cm11.0 using the same /data.

- you will need >185MB in /system to flash this rom (~219MB with the gapps from above)

- this ROM is for the resistive screen V9's only - capacitive V9c touch screens won't work.

Working

- everything except what's listed below

Not working

- FM - there's not enough upstream in cm11 for this to work yet

- notification shade sometimes rendered behind apps - eg. google maps (this is also a bug in cm10.2)

- not sure if bt tethering is working (never tested this in cm10.2)

- wifi reconnect on resume is sometimes a little slow

suggestions and especially patches are welcome for all the above issues!!

Minor Issues that affect all ARMv6 ports

- AOSP keyboard gesture typing doesn't (won't ever) work

- voice search from the google search app doesn't work. Voice search from browser is ok

- newer versions of the google+ app use armv7 code so do not work

Unlikely to Ever Work May one day soon work  :) 

- SELinux due to the ar6000.ko wifi/bt binary kernel module

Linking to and Mirroring this rom

it's both useful and fun for me to be able to see rom download stats. I get to see which roms are popular and where most of my users are. that helps me to focus my work where it does the most good.

• If you want to link to this rom from another forum then link to this post. please do not post other "more direct" links.
  • if you want to setup a mirror of the above rom then that's ok, but please only do it via a goo.gl link that you tell me about. ie. mirror, setup a goo.gl link to the mirror rom (or ask me to generate one for you), publish the goo.gl download link (along with a link to this post), and then send me the goo.gl url. thanks. if the mirrored file link is cryptographically unique (so it can't be trojan'd later) then I'm also happy to publish it as an "official" alternate download link.
Building

- all sources and instructions are on my github

ChangeLog

- ar6000.ko wifi driver now built from atheros sdk2 src instead of binary blob - no more binary kernel modules - yay!

- battery life improvement - changed the wifi deep sleep timeout to 5mins (was 15). this timer starts when the screen is off and the network is idle

- fixed default images dpi which allows space to include the full set of default audio media (ringtones etc.)

- bunch of updates from cm including working wifi/mobile data arrows

- fixed mic being muted on phone calls(!) (thanks to designmechanic_ for the bug report) - on the bright side, the NSA couldn't listen in to your phone calls  :) 

- reduced delay on incoming call and in general for wake from deep sleep (thanks to zeelog)

- fix progress bar in browser with quick controls

- other >= cm11.0 m4 features/fixes

- fixed h263 playback

- movie previews now work

- get rid of obvious 16bit colour banding in some apps

- the usual cm updates

- found GL crashes fix (1)

- renderscript patches now upstream (1)(2)(3)(4)

- texture target fix now upstream (1)

- smaller boot animation to save space

- auditd on

- prefer 16bit surfaces(1) is also upstream now, although without the rest of the 16bit patches some apps now have banding artifacts. I might remove it in future.

- a bunch of rearrangements and tidying to the build patches

- lots of cyanogenmod updates (eg. Trebuchet)

- far closer to being a useful rom than the last one...

- new faster kitkat zram added, and it's enabled by default (64MB)

- wifi tethering fixed

- bt tethering might be fixed

- V9Parts fixed by upstream

- added patch to allow turning on high end gfx from the Performance menu (not really recommended)

- mostly fixed the long standing google maps blank labels problem, although the solution isn't perfect

- movie recording (mpeg4 and hd263 work. previews for mpeg4 work too)

- rom now fits into a 220MB /system with a gapps (some of the sound files and packages etc. left out can be found in extras/ in the zip)

- various upstream fixes and updates from CyanogenMod

- preview release. a bunch of things still don't work

- built with gcc 4.8

- uses old webcore rather than new chromium_org webview

- based on androidarmv6 repos

Many thanks to all those working on CyanogenMod and armv6 and especially to the androidarmv6 folks (especially psyke83) and to zeelogKonstaT, legaCyMod

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest PlaguedByPenguins

new rom posted. enjoy  :)  the main big improvement is the GL crashing apps fix. this cm11 rom is reasonably usable now.

I've also spent a lot of time trying to get ar6000.ko built from source and make a modern (hopefully smaller) recovery image for kitkat, but those aren't ready for prime-time yet.

Guest Crossmans

Rom 20140126 works great!!!

Testing update.

In new GAPPS added "ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk", now bookmarks syncing. Calendar again not syncing ( "Unable to connect to Google's servers"). Manual installation "GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk" does not help.

P.S. Weird. After "advanced restore" (/data; /sd-ext) all works, all syncing. Great firmware!

Edited by Crossmans

Wow kit kat! Sounds wicked, I just put your CM10.2 on my ZTE V9, it brought my dusty old tablet back to life! I seriously couldn't believe the difference.

Couldn't fit much on it app wise, so I redirected the app and dalvik-cache to my SD which fixed it all up for me.

I admit it's a little sluggish, but for what it is it's amazing and fast compared to the original firmware or even CM7, so major +1 for that

My question: Is this CM11 (for ZTE V9) the same as CM10.2 performance wise?

Because i didn't really notice a difference between CM10.2 and 11 on my HTC One X other than missing features and new minor cosmetic changes.

Again amazing work on the roms i can't believe they're running this firmware.

Cheers.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

USB HOST, USB AUDIO rather plan to do?

usb host support drains the battery all the time (not just when usb host is being used) unless the kernel config can be changed. the kernel config can't be changed until the wifi/bluetooth ar6000 driver is built from source. this is difficult because how the ar6002 chip works and how ZTE connected the ar6002 chip to its power up/down and wake/sleep gpio's is not well understood. it may well never happen.

I have reversed engineered some of how the binary ar6000.ko does its power control and have built a bunch of drivers from source. one version of the atheros sdk2.2 driver gets a wifi connection ok but then it stops working after about 30 seconds. the sdk3 driver I've built doesn't even get to loading its firmware, and AFAICT there is only ar6003 support in the ath6kl-compat driver. so it's slow progress.

My question: Is this CM11 (for ZTE V9) the same as CM10.2 performance wise?

Because i didn't really notice a difference between CM10.2 and 11 on my HTC One X other than missing features and new minor cosmetic changes.

cm11 probably uses ram more efficiently (which matters more on 512MB devices like v9 than on your 1GB One X) so you should be able to use more and larger apps than cm10.2, but apart from that your summary is probably correct.

google claims kitkat memory use improvements (I don't know specifically what), but one is maybe better handling of low memory situations (ro.config.low_ram=true) which we are using. also zram is on by default in kitkat (64M of ram is used as compressed swap space), and I've patched a better zram implementation into the kernel too. cm10.2 also had zram thanks to the cyanogenmod folks, but I haven't backported the better zram implementation to the cm10.2 kernel so zram will be slower there.

actually about the only new feature I use in cm11 is being able to cancel upcoming alarms. the most annoying bug is that sometimes alarms don't snooze. there are no doubt other minor cm11 bugs too that will probably get sorted out over time...

Re: other performance metrics - interactivity and lag etc. - IMHO cm7 was faster than cm10 which was faster than cm10.1, but then things got better again - cm10.2 was faster than cm10.1, and cm11 is probably the same or a bit faster than cm10.2 - it's hard to tell - there's not much in it.

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

Guest piciolog

usb host support drains the battery all the time (not just when usb host is being used) unless the kernel config can be changed. the kernel config can't be changed until the wifi/bluetooth ar6000 driver is built from source. this is difficult because how the ar6002 chip works and how ZTE connected the ar6002 chip to its power up/down and wake/sleep gpio's is not well understood. it may well never happen.

I have reversed engineered some of how the binary ar6000.ko does its power control and have built a bunch of drivers from source. one version of the atheros sdk2.2 driver gets a wifi connection ok but then it stops working after about 30 seconds. the sdk3 driver I've built doesn't even get to loading its firmware, and AFAICT there is only ar6003 support in the ath6kl-compat driver. so it's slow progress.

cm11 probably uses ram more efficiently (which matters more on 512MB devices like v9 than on your 1GB One X) so you should be able to use more and larger apps than cm10.2, but apart from that your summary is probably correct.

google claims kitkat memory use improvements (I don't know specifically what), but one is maybe better handling of low memory situations (ro.config.low_ram=true) which we are using. also zram is on by default in kitkat (64M of ram is used as compressed swap space), and I've patched a better zram implementation into the kernel too. cm10.2 also had zram thanks to the cyanogenmod folks, but I haven't backported the better zram implementation to the cm10.2 kernel so zram will be slower there.

actually about the only new feature I use in cm11 is being able to cancel upcoming alarms. the most annoying bug is that sometimes alarms don't snooze. there are no doubt other minor cm11 bugs too that will probably get sorted out over time...

Re: other performance metrics - interactivity and lag etc. - IMHO cm7 was faster than cm10 which was faster than cm10.1, but then things got better again - cm10.2 was faster than cm10.1, and cm11 is probably the same or a bit faster than cm10.2 - it's hard to tell - there's not much in it.

Hello I understand that if you make a working USB-HOST, will cease to operate Wi-Fi. If so, then do the firmware version with a working USB-HOST but non-working Wi-Fi. And let USB-HOST drains the battery, almost all devices will discharge when operating in USB-HOST. Me it is very necessary!

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Hello I understand that if you make a working USB-HOST, will cease to operate Wi-Fi. If so, then do the firmware version with a working USB-HOST but non-working Wi-Fi. And let USB-HOST drains the battery, almost all devices will discharge when operating in USB-HOST. Me it is very necessary!

no, that is not correct. you can have the current wifi with usb-host, just the battery will drain fast as the USB chips are always powered up. a cm7 kernel for v9 briefly had this configuration but it was a backwards step for 99.9% of users so was removed. also IIRC you will need an odd USB cable, and also (if v9 is like blade) then probably an external power source for your USB device too.

I don't have a cable to test and debug with, so I'm not going to do a modified kernel for you, but you can do it yourself!

git clone https://github.com/plaguedbypenguins/zte-kernel-msm7x27

and get a toolchain and build the kernel. change cyanogen_v9_defconfig to add usb host support. eg.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2152819

apart from the kernel there may well be other parts of the cm11 firmware that needs modification to detect and mount usb devices too, but you won't know what they are until you try  :)

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

new 20140309 rom - see first post. important fix for muted microphone in phone calls.
it's hard to believe this bug has been there since the first 4.4 rom - I guess not many people (including me) regularly use v9's as phones?!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kissology25
hello everyone, I wonder if there is any way this rom work on ZTE V9c because I can not any more decent rom ... 
Please help me! XD 
(sorry for the english, I'm using google translator (I am Brazilian))

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

hello everyone, I wonder if there is any way this rom work on ZTE V9c because I can not any more decent rom ...

no, this rom doesn't work for the capacitive v9c.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PlaguedByPenguins

new 20140407 rom. see the first post.

for me the big feature is that the wifi driver is now built from source. this was a lot of work and took a looooong time. done now though. phew  :)

having all the kernel source means we can change and add features to the kernel more freely, and even one day maybe use a newer kernel version!

also battery saving stuff, bug fixes & features... the usual... enjoy.

Guest naifah

new 20140407 rom. see the first post.

for me the big feature is that the wifi driver is now built from source. this was a lot of work and took a looooong time. done now though. phew :)

having all the kernel source means we can change and add features to the kernel more freely, and even one day maybe use a newer kernel version!

also battery saving stuff, bug fixes & features... the usual... enjoy.

this final ver. of kitkat pbp?what the mean of newer kernel?m tired flash flesh again :(

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

this final ver. of kitkat pbp?what the mean of newer kernel?m tired flash flesh again :(

cm11.0 final isn't even out yet, so there will be more roms. nobody is forcing you to update :)

Guest naifah

cm11.0 final isn't even out yet, so there will be more roms. nobody is forcing you to update :)

yeah right pbp :D sorry..you give your best,nice

• 2 weeks later...

Great work PbP :) working fine until now. (Didn't found out how to get Google account to work. Has anyone?).

Edited by faji