It was time my old trustworthy blade continued its life in the hands of my mom. For that purpose I decided to upgrade it with the latest KitKat fitting on 180 Mb system partition. Went into recovery, wiped and deleted everything as per Zeelog instructions and installed ROM and gapps and voila - it booted. However .. for the life of me I cannot create or log with an existing gmail account, I keep getting There was a problem vommunicating with Google servers. Try again later. I've been googling for a while but could not find anything that helped, so decided to post here as I have doubts, google have changed something that no longer validates the gapps package that zeelog provided. What I've tried so far:
1) Checked MD5 of both ROM and GAPPS - both match. Copied them to device and checked again - matched.
2) Installed latest recovery from zeelog
3) Checked system part - 177 from 180, so no space issue.
4) Found more current gapps packages and tried to strip them so they fit - all of them got errors when trying to install in recovery.
5) Cleared cache and data for all google services.
6) Tried older versions of Zeelog's Rom - same issue.
This phone has been running with an older version of Zeelog's rom for over an year so I am at lost and would appreciate your help.
Update: Google Play Services seem to be missing (can't find it in Settings -> Apps -> All), could that be the problem and why would that suddenly be missing and worked before?
Edited by silverchair, 04 May 2015 - 09:35 PM.