Google Play Services update fixes battery drain

Guest TangerineTractor

Guest TangerineTractor

It's an update for all roms. The version number is nothing to with the Android os version. Check your version and update if it needs. You will probably be on 4.0.something.

Guest fricy81

@TangerineTractor: Thx for posting this, it does help with wakelocks. Tested with CM10.1 - previously a led notification would have drained my battery over a few hours, now it's only draining about 1%/h. Coolcoolcool.

May I ask you where did you find this, and why is it not avaliable from the play store? :(

Guest Picvajzmen

@ fricy81 - i dont think that this update of g play services has anything to do with a led notification keeping you phone from getting into deep sleep....

Guest TangerineTractor

I think someone mentioned it on one of the CM threads - if not, it was on HTC Mania. I then googled google play services 4.1.

I`m back on stock again at the moment (199) and drain at around 3% per hour on wifi and 4-5% on 3G. Drain is noticeably still higher on CMbased roms for me, so all this update does is restore battery performance to the level it was before the last automatic play services update in November time.

Guest fricy81

@ fricy81 - i dont think that this update of g play services has anything to do with a led notification keeping you phone from getting into deep sleep....

No, it still doesn't go to deep sleep, but the battery consumption is much better when a wakelock is keeping the phone from sleeping.

Guest TangerineTractor

Have you tried disabling led notifications and using light flow instead? I have a light flow config that works perfectly with the screen on or off.

Guest fricy81

Have you tried disabling led notifications and using light flow instead? I have a light flow config that works perfectly with the screen on or off.

No, I prefer not to use any extra framework or app if it's possible.

Afaik lightflow would use about 20 mb ram, (correct me if I'm wrong), so I deceided on living with the wakelock bug instead of an external app. With this play service update it's quite managable so far.

Guest TangerineTractor

I`ve been using lightflow since my old g300 days. It lets me have a set of different coloured leds for different apps, and I have them solid, and they work whether the screen is on or off... so i cna have my phone on daydream or dim on my desk or in the car, and still get led notifications and not have to hassle withthe power button to restore the screen.

you can also get the latest version straight from Google, off the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en_GB and read what's new

What's New
– Google+ sign-in user interface improvements
– Google Wallet Instant Buy APIs and Wallet Object support
– AdMob APIs and updated ads settings in Google Settings app
– New Google Maps API visual effects and Location API geofencing improvements

Guest TangerineTractor

you can also get the latest version straight from Google, off the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en_GB and read what's new

What's New

That's 4.0.34, which has battery drain issues. It's 4.1.x which resolves it, but hasn;t been rolled out everywhere yet... http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-services-41-pushing-out-now

Google play service is automatically updating to new version now.

This is of version 4.1.31

I got an update of 4.1.32

So installing manually is no longer required.

Greetings :)