Export stock recovery.img

Guest Gabriel94

Guest Gabriel94

Hello, I would like to know if its possible to take the stock recovery.img from my current ROM which is German Stock 4.4.2 and back it up for later use.

I want to do this because i want to root my device and then return back to stock recovery. I have already tried something, btw my bootloader is unlocked.

I installed thr official german 4.3, sideloaded the official german 4.4.2 and used cwm and rooted but then i looked in both zips of the stock roms and there was recovery.img only in thr 4.3 one so after rooting i flashed recovery.img which screwed everything, because another small official ota update, only 1.9mb which was already on 4.4.2 with 4.3 recovery and the phone booted normally and wanted to update that small ota update and after 1 min the phone restarted but it wouldnt go to the recovery and install the update it wpuld reboot over and over again

My question is how can i back up the stock 4.4.2 recovery.img for later use, thanks in advance for amy helpful posts

you will need root & adb on your pc

then from command prompt, with your phone plugged in and usb debugging turned on 

adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p32 of=/sdcard/recovery.img

the recovery.img will be in your internal storage on the phone.

edit:

or if you don't have adb use this adb.rar 

extract it to your desktop and just double click "pull.bat" (look at your phone to accept the adb popup, might need to restart after this for it to work)

then copy and paste the commands into the box and press enter after each starting from "su"

Guest Gabriel94

Thanl you tillaz, will report as soon as I get to it, i want to flash root and then still have stock recovery for later official ota updates

Edit:

Actually, tillaz, how will i be able to export the OFFICIAL recovery.img if i have to root by editing the recovery.img... xD

what way is there to root by not editing the recovery.img in any way?

Edited by Gabriel94

Thanl you tillaz, will report as soon as I get to it, i want to flash root and then still have stock recovery for later official ota updates

Edit:

Actually, tillaz, how will i be able to export the OFFICIAL recovery.img if i have to root by editing the recovery.img... xD

what way is there to root by not editing the recovery.img in any way?

I used this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiZtZCqu4k to root my old alcatel one touch idol S, everything else i tried failed

you will need your bootloader unlocked first if not already.

link to tool http://www.kingoapp.com/

It is already unlocked, i just want to have stock rom with root and be able to recieve future ota updates from motorola

use the tool above to root, its the only way i know without custom recovery

Guest Gabriel94

use the tool above to root, its the only way i know without custom recovery

Didn't seem to work with 4.3 or 4.4.2, i have another question, will i be able to install official OTAs from Motorola even if i have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM?

Didn't seem to work with 4.3 or 4.4.2, i have another question, will i be able to install official OTAs from Motorola even if i have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM?

i don't think you can, but i also don't think there will be another OTA until android 4.5 which will probably be October.

and by that time your factory image will be available here http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14 which you can flash the stock recovery from.

Guest Gabriel94

Ok thanks, well i have 2 stock firmwares

falcon_umts-faux123-kk-004u-signed which has recovery.img

and

Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE which is ota update and looks like a custom rom inside the zip as the files and has no recovery.img

I'll try the ones from xda to see if there is a recovery.img

Guest Gabriel94

well I installed cwm on my moto g,

do you have to know on what rom it can achieve the best score in antutu?

the highest i have seen was on your rom, infusion with the hybrid OC Kernel, and it was 18.245

do you also have simiar results or have u seen higher ones on other ROMs?

I might use your rom soon if its the best :D

well I installed cwm on my moto g,

do you have to know on what rom it can achieve the best score in antutu?

the highest i have seen was on your rom, infusion with the hybrid OC Kernel, and it was 18.245

do you also have simiar results or have u seen higher ones on other ROMs?

I might use your rom soon if its the best :D

don't pay much attention to them as they are really for comparing hardware, and don't necessarily mean higher is a better performing rom in real life usage

all stock roms will score similar, i personally use cm at the moment as its fully working and i need to update my themes... at some point i will build AOKP and use that

until PAC can be built