Difference between stock rom and Tesco?

Guest thewarden

Guest thewarden

Hi,

Ive been thinking out rooting my Moto G, to get rid of some of the prepinstalled apps and free up some space.

Was looking at flashing to standard uk ROm but am wondering why>

Whats the difference? I See no Tesco branding at all.

Is it purely about OTA updates?

Thanks

Guest wildestpixel

You won't free up any space changing ROM or software in terms of usable space for video music apps photos etc.

The system partition where your ROM basically resides is a set size and cannot (realistically) be changed. I think it's hard wired to 2GB in moto g.

Guest Simon O

You can change the voicemail number on stock but it's locked on the Tesco rom.

The voicemail number is not locked on the Tesco ROM. It'll be whatever number is programmed into the SIM. When I use an EE SIM on the Tesco ROM it uses the correct voicemail number. 

Guest thewarden

The voicemail number is not locked on the Tesco ROM. It'll be whatever number is programmed into the SIM. When I use an EE SIM on the Tesco ROM it uses the correct voicemail number. 

I have to agree with you flibblesan, I have no issues with voicemail.

Are we saying then, there are no differences between the two? Other than one being labled as Tesco..

Edited by thewarden

Guest dt_matthews

I have to agree with you flibblesan, I have no issues with voicemail.

Are we saying then, there are no differences between the two? Other than one being labled as Tesco..

I think were conflating two issues.

Regardless of whether the voicemail number is correct initially, have you tried changing it if you are on the tesco rom?

Guest spannerz

Same here, I can change my tesco Moto G voicemail, although as already said above, it happened automatically with my EE (Tmob) sim

The only other thing I can see that's different is the SIM toolkit app, it seems to only cater for Tesco PAYG whereas on other android phones Sim toolkit allowed SIM tinkering of sorts (albeit nothing really useful)

Edited by spannerz

Guest bovinewarrior

I'm unable to change my voicemail number. I think it's a problem with my Giffgaff sim as I had the same problem with my G300 until I put cyanogen mod on it.