Unlocking bootloader.

Guest execpwd

Guest execpwd

I have a big problem. On my phone, the bootloader was unlocked by one of my friends. This afternoon, one of my buddies asked me to unlock his bootloader, since he wasn't able to get acer tool working - because he uses a Mac based computer. The thing is, I find a little lacking of information and pretty stuttered the tutorial from acer cloud mobile blogspot, and tbh I don't want to mess his phone up. Is anyone please, able to explain in a few detailed steps what should I do? I would be really grateful since I only unlocked Motorola devices and HTC, through their development services. Thank you again.

Guest execpwd

That's the tutorial that bricked my first Acer ... Definetly not going to do that again , but thanks for your response ...

Still expecting something more efficient

Guest execpwd

Tomorrow I am going to tell you if it went well or not. This night I will decide which method to use... The 'phone bricking and sweat giving' method - that seems pretty simple now that I read it several times , or the 'press the buttons' one - from acer tool kit... Opinions are also welcome xD

Guest dookiebfr

I installed leaked version, fastboot and unblock oem something... don't forget to look at version. Then just install whatever Rom you want and recovery.

Guest execpwd

I installed leaked version, fastboot and unblock oem something... don't forget to look at version. Then just install whatever Rom you want and recovery.

I think you mean the version of the CPU... It is 8260a-1, and it shouldn't be a problem... I think I will use the Acer toolkit.

I think you mean the version of the CPU... It is 8260a-1, and it shouldn't be a problem... I think I will use the Acer toolkit.

I used this method (http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/363566-%5BTUT%5D-How-to-Bootloader-unlock-with-CPU_TYPE=8260a-1-and-install-CM10%20(i%20did%20it%20with%20-3%20cpu%20type%20and%20works%20to)) 2 times on different phones without no issues (-1 CPU)

On the 2nd, after unlocking the bootloader, I pushed the recovery (TWRP) then I directly installed RECA ROM avoiding the necessity to change RW permissions on system

Guest execpwd

I used this method (http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/363566-%5BTUT%5D-How-to-Bootloader-unlock-with-CPU_TYPE=8260a-1-and-install-CM10%20(i%20did%20it%20with%20-3%20cpu%20type%20and%20works%20to)) 2 times on different phones without no issues (-1 CPU)

On the 2nd, after unlocking the bootloader, I pushed the recovery (TWRP) then I directly installed RECA ROM avoiding the necessity to change RW permissions on system

So no one ever used the toolkit? I am waiting for my friend to bring his phone...

So no one ever used the toolkit? I am waiting for my friend to bring his phone...

sorry, no... with the above method you've the possibility to make a test before making changes effective (fastboot -i 0x0502 boot test-only.img) so you shouldn't have issues with it

...and AFAIK it's the most reliable way with -1 CPUs

Guest execpwd

So ... what happens if I fail the [TUT] ? Will it brick the device ? As far as I remember , the first time I tried to unlock my bootloader on my other phone ( the first Acer - my first Acer ... ) I didn't check if it succeded and I proceeded ... ( pam - brick ). If I fail again , until I have the chance to flash anything on it , is there any posibility to brick / hurt my soft ? ( I mean until step number 6 ) ... I am pretty scared guys , and right now I don't have the money to pay another Acer since my Nexus is on his way ..

Also : I downloaded the files I need : ADB_fastboot , acer-unlock and TWRP ( image + kernel folder inside ). Should I copy them in my Java / SDK / Android Debugging Folder ? 

Or simply put the images from acer-unlock and TWRP inside that ADB_fastboot folder and proceed ? 

Edited by execpwd

Guest Spacecaker

So ... what happens if I fail the [TUT] ? Will it brick the device ? As far as I remember , the first time I tried to unlock my bootloader on my other phone ( the first Acer - my first Acer ... ) I didn't check if it succeded and I proceeded ... ( pam - brick ). If I fail again , until I have the chance to flash anything on it , is there any posibility to brick / hurt my soft ? ( I mean until step number 6 ) ... I am pretty scared guys , and right now I don't have the money to pay another Acer since my Nexus is on his way ..

Also : I downloaded the files I need : ADB_fastboot , acer-unlock and TWRP ( image + kernel folder inside ). Should I copy them in my Java / SDK / Android Debugging Folder ? 

Or simply put the images from acer-unlock and TWRP inside that ADB_fastboot folder and proceed ? 

u could try the Romanian tool hingy V4

it also shows u if unlocking succeeded and such

Guest execpwd

The thing is the tool isn't made only for Romanian version of acer, so it should work for anyone... What I am asking is, if I fail to unlock the bootloader, but I do not flash anything, will the phone still be bricked?

The thing is the tool isn't made only for Romanian version of acer, so it should work for anyone... What I am asking is, if I fail to unlock the bootloader, but I do not flash anything, will the phone still be bricked?

You can try with fastboot -i 0x0502 boot test-only.img, if it say "OK" you can safely proceed, elsewhere not... this test doesn't write anything, so it's safe

Btw, I'm using a romanian one too... originally it has ORGROD version on it, and is the 2nd one unlocked following that way

Guest execpwd

You can try with fastboot -i 0x0502 boot test-only.img, if it say "OK" you can safely proceed, elsewhere not... this test doesn't write anything, so it's safe

Btw, I'm using a romanian one too... originally it has ORGROD version on it, and is the 2nd one unlocked following that way

So , you are telling me I should do Step 6 before Step 5 ? ( talking on the tutorial )

Anyways , the guy didn't manage to bring his phone over ... Maybe tomorrow. Anyways I am still curious , if the process of unlocking fails , will it brick the device ? ( I mean the 5th step , when you practicly boot the 'unlock-cloudmobile.img' ) Will it boot again if it fails ? Will I be able to boot up the phone in it's original ROM ( like nothing happened ? ) ? I'm curious about these things ... 

Let's suppose I follow all the steps , but when I boot up the unlock checker - it says the phone still has a locked bootloader , and I give up. I want to boot the phone and never unlock the bootloader again.. Will I be able to do this ? Or if I start the process of unlocking I must do everything possible to unlock the phone , otherwise will it transform into a fine brick ... ?

If you manage to answer to these questions you are the best , ever ! 

Edited by execpwd

Guest execpwd

Forgot to mention : the phone was unlocked through the method posted by iAl3x and it's running Reca ROM without any problems. Thank you very much for your feedback. Regards.

So , you are telling me I should do Step 6 before Step 5 ? ( talking on the tutorial )

Anyways , the guy didn't manage to bring his phone over ... Maybe tomorrow. Anyways I am still curious , if the process of unlocking fails , will it brick the device ? ( I mean the 5th step , when you practicly boot the 'unlock-cloudmobile.img' ) Will it boot again if it fails ? Will I be able to boot up the phone in it's original ROM ( like nothing happened ? ) ? I'm curious about these things ... 

Let's suppose I follow all the steps , but when I boot up the unlock checker - it says the phone still has a locked bootloader , and I give up. I want to boot the phone and never unlock the bootloader again.. Will I be able to do this ? Or if I start the process of unlocking I must do everything possible to unlock the phone , otherwise will it transform into a fine brick ... ?

If you manage to answer to these questions you are the best , ever ! 

Not more useful, I know it, but the answer was yes, step 6 before step 5, in this way you can see if it can be unlocked BEFORE doing it

Forgot to mention : the phone was unlocked through the method posted by iAl3x and it's running Reca ROM without any problems. Thank you very much for your feedback. Regards.

I'm sorry to hear you've bricked your first acer, although I'm glad this time worked...I was busy with other things and I couldn't give you feedback

Guest execpwd

I'm sorry to hear you've bricked your first acer, although I'm glad this time worked...I was busy with other things and I couldn't give you feedback

No problem. I don't blame anyone, but me, for the first bricked dsvice. I didn't pay attention, and didn't check to see if the bootloader was successfully unlocked, so I proceeded to flashing... The phone was replaced in warranty so there is no problem.