UK Retail Upgrade on rooted phone

Guest alpine101

Guest alpine101

I followed Paul's method to upgrade my Tesco phone to the UK Retail version a month or so ago, then rooted it.

I received the UK retail bug fix (7.3MB) this morning and it's upgraded OK, or tells me it has!! Now running 176.44.1.en.GB.

Baseband is now MSM8626BP_1032.355.66.00R. Sadly I didn't note what it was before the update!

Guest CashMoney

Rooted with R1 method, and changed recovery to CWM after. Tesco 16gb (unlocked, running a Virgin sim) original rom, OTA update downloads but won't install in CWM; verification error. Upon first reboot, phone reboots into recovery. Wash Rinse Repeat.

For anyone stuck doing the same, power off the phone, hold down the Vol down and power up into fastboot mode. Connect the phone to a PC via USB, open a command prompt and navigate to where you have android adb and/or fastboot installed. Then enter -

fastboot erase cache

That'll clear the downloaded update and stop your phone from rebooting. As for getting the update to install ... no idea yet :)

I'm going to try reverting to the original recovery and see if that helps.

Edit - No, still won't install via stock recovery. I've also tried editing the updater script in the zip file to remove the checks, but no go

Edited by CashMoney

Guest Topogigi

It will install with stock recovery (I did it), provided you:

- have not modifed/deleted any system file that the updater script requires to apply the patches to (look into the patch directory of the update to see a list of the relevant required files)

- have the unmodified stock kernel (the kernel is also patched by the update)

Otherwise, it will throw out an error (missing hooks for the patches).

Good luck.

P.S. at the end of the update, you can restore your CWM recovery and, if needed, your modified kernel: you won't lose any data

Edited by Topogigi

Guest CashMoney

Was using CWM and this update failed to go through, tried stock recovery which also failed then tried PhilZ Touch Recovery and it went through fine.

Just installed Philz Touch Recovery, looks like it's going through now, thanks.

Guest Adyx00

Still not working for me even with Philz Touch Recovery.

Edit: Just checked and the downloaded file in the cache is Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB. Can anyone confirm that's correct?

Edited by Adyx00

Guest mandr0id

Still not working for me even with Philz Touch Recovery.

Edit: Just checked and the downloaded file in the cache is Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB. Can anyone confirm that's correct?

The latest is 176.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB

AFAIK

I followed Paul's method to upgrade my Tesco phone to the UK Retail version a month or so ago, then rooted it.

I received the UK retail bug fix (7.3MB) this morning and it's upgraded OK, or tells me it has!! Now running 176.44.1.en.GB.

Baseband is now MSM8626BP_1032.355.66.00R. Sadly I didn't note what it was before the update!

Have you had any problems with making calls.

I have scenario as you (without having rooted), all was well after update for days the I got some unknown 'bug report' captured that it wanted to send.  Since then it's been useless trying to make a call.

Receives calls fine, data is fine, wifi fine - just can't use my phone to phone anyone!