Notification LED Issues

Guest pinko1

Guest pinko1

I've noticed that the notification LED on this phone behaves very strangely.

I get a new GMail message. The screen is off. The led flashes green but stops after about 3-4 flashes.

If I don't notice those initial flashes, then I miss the notification! Also, the LED "on" time seems to be very short.

I turn the screen ON to read the message.

The notification led starts flashing again while the phone is ON (and on/off blink time seems "normal").

If I turn the screen off at this point, the LED stops flashing completely.

If I turn the screen back on, the LED starts flashing again. This continues until I read the message, and the LED notification is cancelled.

This is completely backward to my previous phone, a Huawei G300.

I've tried a factory reset but it still behaves the same.

Does anyone elses phone act like this?

I've got 10 days left to exchange it for another if it's faulty.

Thanks.

Guest djfnz

I've noticed that the notification LED on this phone behaves very strangely.

I get a new GMail message. The screen is off. The led flashes green but stops after about 3-4 flashes.

If I don't notice those initial flashes, then I miss the notification! Also, the LED "on" time seems to be very short.

I turn the screen ON to read the message.

The notification led starts flashing again while the phone is ON (and on/off blink time seems "normal").

If I turn the screen off at this point, the LED stops flashing completely.

If I turn the screen back on, the LED starts flashing again. This continues until I read the message, and the LED notification is cancelled.

This is completely backward to my previous phone, a Huawei G300.

I've tried a factory reset but it still behaves the same.

Does anyone elses phone act like this?

I've got 10 days left to exchange it for another if it's faulty.

Thanks.

Which firmware use you? I think this is firmware bug!

Edited by djfnz

Guest targetbsp

Try a different mail client.  The mail client I use completely disables my LED's (even the charge light!) if I leave an unread notification in my notification bar.  My previous phone was fine with this mail client.  And every other app that uses the LED is fine on this phone.  I reached the random conclusion that it's a bit sensitive to apps not using the LED quite how it likes.

Guest shiftyc

+1 for trying a different mail client, I use the Outlook.com client for my hotmail and the LED works as expected.  It's unlikely a hardware problem if the LED actually functions.

Guest pinko1

Thanks for the suggestion about trying a different mail client, but I'm also getting the same problem with text messages. In fact, any notification.

Also, when the screen is off and I press the power button to turn on the phone when there is a notification waiting, the light flickers really erratically before the screen powers on.

When charging, the light is fine abd stays lit steady. It just seems to have trouble flashing the notification when sleeping.

I'm going to try and get an exchange under the 14 day guarantee. I'll post back if the new one fixes the problem.

Guest pinko1

Just one last observation. When the phone is connected via the power cable, the notification led works as it should.

Once on battery power, it stops functioning correctly.

Guest pinko1

Just had a replacement phone delivered by Virgin Mobile.

Pleased to say that the new phone has no problems with the notification light, so it was most likely a hardware issue with the old one.