[DEV] ZTE Extract for stock firmware packages

Guest hif1

Hello,

While messing around to restore a clean stock ROM on my Blade I wrote a small tool to extract the ZTE firmware installer packages programmatically. Unfortunately I could not find many legit (operator/ZTE uploaded) links to original ROMs like the Moldova GB one. Tested with the ones I found from trusted sources.

https://github.com/hifi/zte_extract

If I have time I will also create a small automatic script project to build CWM ROMs of all the original firmware packages I can find. While I believe 99% of modders mean no harm I still find it easier to trust the original vendors from time to time. I've successfully used this method to rebuild my operators ROM as a CWM zip and made small modifications to fit that in a 128MB system partition.

Don't know if anyone finds this useful after so many years of modding but I'll just leave this here.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Hif1,

Welcome!! :)

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are intending to do with the original stock roms, by making them CWM friendly...?? But do you mean you are intending to bring back some of the original stock roms, to make them Flashable within ClockWorkMod.... Even if our partition tables are now Gen2 (majority) or Gen3 (rarer) layouts...?? So if we want, we can flash what was original a Gen1 rom, updated to be flashed on a Gen2 phone??

I would find this extremely useful, if you could make Orange UK stock rom, compatible with Gen2 phone layout/partition... Purely to make it easy to flash back to the Froyo days... :)

Thanks, Lister

Hi Hif1,

Welcome!! :)

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are intending to do with the original stock roms, by making them CWM friendly...?? But do you mean you are intending to bring back some of the original stock roms, to make them Flashable within ClockWorkMod.... Even if our partition tables are now Gen2 (majority) or Gen3 (rarer) layouts...?? So if we want, we can flash what was original a Gen1 rom, updated to be flashed on a Gen2 phone??

I would find this extremely useful, if you could make Orange UK stock rom, compatible with Gen2 phone layout/partition... Purely to make it easy to flash back to the Froyo days... :)

Thanks, Lister

That's exactly what can be done and I have done as my personal build (also removed some useless stuff to make space for 128MB /system). I'm more interested in automating the process than sharing prepackaged ROMs and this tool is essential for that. However, you'd need to find an official Orange UK Froyo update package if such exists. If they were sold as Froyo then this method is not feasible.

Though, the unbranded Froyo update (ZTE_Blade_Upgrade_Tool_V1.0.exe) which is still available for download from ZTE (Sweden) and can be extracted using this tool is probably as stock as it gets.

EDIT:

build.prop of ZTE_Blade_Upgrade_Tool_V1.0.exe, unmodified re-packaging takes 144MB of /system space, 94MB update.zip, kernel is official 2.6.32.9-perf. Though as long as it is unmodified, it requires a regular sized /cache (works with Gen2 layout of course). A small boot time script is required for 2MB /cache. For some reason I did not find this (final?) Froyo update in the stock firmware listing of this forum.

I gave it a quick boot and it seemed to work just fine.

ro.build.version.release=2.2
ro.build.date=Fri May  6 12:31:50 CST 2011
ro.build.sw_internal_version=4G4G_GENERIC_P729V1.0.0B12
ro.build.display.id=ZTE-BLADEV1.0.0B01
ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.2_r10
Edited by hif1