Don't use your pockets to hold a Lumia 1520

Guest awarner

Guest awarner

Well the Lumia 1520 is a great device and for some the size is not a problem, but this is a sad tale that may make you think twice on keeping the device in a pocket.

What is a problem though is how to carry the phone. Now I have been carrying the phone in the front pocket of my trousers making sure the screen is facing my leg and nothing else gets put in my pocket.

So after taking my phone out to use the camera imagine my shock to see a massive crack, now what is surprising is the crack is on the internal screen and not on the main gorilla glass screen. The only way I can see this happening is the internal screen is under pressure and a tiny amount of stress/flex in my pocket was enough to crack the screen.

The phone has not been dropped or knocked when in my pocket so I can only guess as to the actual reason for the damage. The downside is not only visual but the capacitive touch is not working in the top left corner and it appears to freeze the screen so it becomes unresponsive, pressing the home button appears to restore it.

Problem I have is this is my only device with a nano SIM so unless I can find an adaptor I can not send the phone off for repair as I need to have a usable phone.

Nokia will repair it but it will cost £125 initially and possible more if they feel it needs more work. So can I even afford to have it repaired in the first place? not good for a 10 week old device with a two year contract.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BorisGVG

In my experience since i start using smartphones, especially with touch screens (starting with my beloved Omnia i900, still use it tho) i never, and i mean NEVER face the screen towards my leg, just cuz of the accident you had. I always face the screen towards outside and making sure not to knock it from the corner of the table or anything else. So far it worked perfectly for me. A leather pouch is always welcomed in additional protection of your phone. I think that a full leather pouch is way more protective of your phone than any other pouch or bumper mask or flip-flop mask. I had (still have it) a leather pouch for my Samsung Omnia i900 (which is my secondary phone) and an awesome thick leather pouch for my primary phone which is Samsung Ativ S. No problems so far. :)

Guest awarner

There is far too much flex with the poly case, you can press the back of the case and see the screen change. The 925 does not do this with its metal case

Guest BorisGVG

There is far too much flex with the poly case, you can press the back of the case and see the screen change. The 925 does not do this with its metal case

To be honest, I haven't had Nokia Lumia 1520 in my hands to feel it, so i can't say about that. You do talk about 1520 that it have far too much flex, right?

Lumia 925 has a metal case but only from the sides. However, i haven't notice such case on my Samsung ATIV S, no flex at all, maybe it's made entirely from a polycarbonate, but when you hold it, it feels premium in the hands and pretty solid. 

In my experience, a thick leather pouch is always "a must", not that only protects the entire device (mostly the screen), but it also give the device that extra solidness in the pocket.