[DEV][ROM][1.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G

Guest KonstaT

Guest mehtab

Don't try to use the camera when you very well know it's not working. It crashes all media/audio services and you need a reboot to recover. There's nothing wrong with audio besides that afaik.

Did anyone btw test the new build on a xt1033? Would someone finally bother sending some logs if RIL is still not working?

Oh, ok thanks for the info.

Are there any more precautions? There is also some freezing when I open marketplace sometimes and sometimes phone freezes completely and have to reboot to recover.

Edited by mehtab

Guest KonstaT

KostaT,

Here`s my logcat:

http://pastebin.com/ZdLABeTm

radio logcat

http://pastebin.com/Yz4Y2F12

Thanks for these. :) It looks like both rild services are running and connected to right sockets via rilproxy. You could still verify this by doing
getprop | grep ril

in adb shell and see that both rild and both rilproxy services are running.

There's really nothing more I can do without having a dual-SIM device myself. Even if B2G has some dual-SIM support, it's possible that Qualcomm hasn't yet fully implemented it for their hardware in their fork. Otherwise I wouldn't be needing to add the necessary bits to support it in the first place.

[gsm.version.ril-impl]: [Qualcomm RIL 1.0]
[init.svc.ril-daemon1]: [running]
[init.svc.ril-daemon]: [running]
[init.svc.rilproxy1]: [running]
[init.svc.rilproxy]: [running]
[persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_0]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_1]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_2]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_3]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_plmn]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_0]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_1]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_2]: []
[persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_3]: []
[ril.baseband.config.version]: [ROW_DSDS_CUST]
[ril.ecclist1]: [911,112,190,000,08,110,999,118,119]
[ril.ecclist]: [911,112,190,000,08,110,999,118,119]
[ril.lte.bc.config]: [0]
[ril.qcril_pre_init_lock_held]: [0]
[ril.radio.ctbk_inst]: [517]
[ril.radio.ctbk_val]: [1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0]
[ril.subscription.types]: [NV,RUIM]
[rild.libargs]: [-d /dev/smd0]
[rild.libpath]: [/vendor/lib/libril-qc-qmi-1.so]
[ro.moz.ril.0.network_types]: [gsm,wcdma]
[ro.moz.ril.1.network_types]: [gsm]
[ro.moz.ril.emergency_by_default]: [true]
[ro.moz.ril.numclients]: [2]
[ro.moz.ril.subscription_control]: [true]
[ro.ril.svdo]: [false]
[ro.ril.svlte1x]: [false]

On xda-developers someone flashed your previous build onto a converted xt1033.

Sim was recognized but he couldnt get a signal.

Has anything changed that could make it worth another try that way?

Guest KonstaT

On xda-developers someone flashed your previous build onto a converted xt1033.

Sim was recognized but he couldnt get a signal.

Has anything changed that could make it worth another try that way?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work if you've converted your device into a single SIM model.

Btw, RIL proprietaries in the latest build are not from a dual-SIM firmware like before (I bulk extracted everything from UK retail 4.4.4). I highly doubt it makes any difference but someone could try replacing /system/bin/rild and /system/lib/libril.so from a recent CM11 build.

Guest aliasbody

Hello everyone !,

I've just registered to say thank you to KonstaT because of his work :D I am a early user of Android (I used Android 1.1 with the HTC Dream), but I am becoming tired of Android as it is, and after using a Nokia N9 I can't use another OS :D

But then I tested Firefox OS and I found it great ! Greater when used on this phone ! Well, there are some bugs to be solved but nothing impossible, mostly errors related to the fact that it is a prerelease.

But I am still not using it as my main OS just because of 2 factores :

1 - The Camera is not working

2 - There is no GPS Navigation app for it (yes we can talk about EverNav but it is simply horrible).

So my questions are :

- If Firefox OS (or B2G in this case) is based on the Android Kernel, shouldn't the Camera work as well ? I mean I understand the storage problem but not much the camera.

- When will a 21 PreRelease be available ?

- Why some applications and games (like Cut the Rope for example), display in a weird way ? In Cut The Rope the app is rotated and doesn't take the whole screen. Is this an app problem or a internal configuration problem ?

- Why does the button on the bottom has a blue earth when on the pictures it only has a black circle ?

Thank you once again !

Guest KonstaT

Almost everything you're asking has already been discussed. Please read/search the thread (it really isn't even that long yet).

- If Firefox OS (or B2G in this case) is based on the Android Kernel, shouldn't the Camera work as well ? I mean I understand the storage problem but not much the camera.

Because it's clearly not as straight forward as you think. There's something off with Motorola's camera implementation because camera works with this exactly the same B2G code on my other device. It's all open source, feel free to fix it. ;)

- When will a 21 PreRelease be available ?

You better ask Qualcomm. These builds are based on CAF releases (something that an OEM/ODM would start off with Firefox OS for their retail device). These come a little behing B2G master what comes to features (or version numbers) but are ahead in stability and optimization for Qualcomm hardware. 

- Why some applications and games (like Cut the Rope for example), display in a weird way ? In Cut The Rope the app is rotated and doesn't take the whole screen. Is this an app problem or a internal configuration problem ?

I highly doubt it's anything hardware/device specific that I should do something about.

- Why does the button on the bottom has a blue earth when on the pictures it only has a black circle ?

Already asked and answered on the previous page.

Guest aliasbody

Hello !

Thank you for all those answers :)

Because it's clearly not as straight forward as you think. There's something off with Motorola's camera implementation because camera works with this exactly the same B2G code on my other device. It's all open source, feel free to fix it. ;)

The ZTE Blade ?

You better ask Qualcomm. These builds are based on CAF releases (something that an OEM/ODM would start off with Firefox OS for their retail device). These come a little behing B2G master what comes to features (or version numbers) but are ahead in stability and optimization for Qualcomm hardware.

Isn't it possible to port the B2G source with using the builds based on the CAF releases ?

Edited by aliasbody

Guest KonstaT

The ZTE Blade ?

Isn't it possible to port the B2G source with using the builds based on the CAF releases ?

ZTE Open C as already discussed in this thread.

It's possible to hack all kinds of stupid things together (been there, done that :P) but is there really any reason to do it. What exactly do you think you're going to gain with 2.1?

Guest aliasbody

ZTE Open C as already discussed in this thread.

It's possible to hack all kinds of stupid things together (been there, done that :P) but is there really any reason to do it. What exactly do you think you're going to gain with 2.1?

Yes But isn't ZTE Open C a phone made to work with Firefox OS ? Then things should work out of the box normally. As for the Moto G camera problem, it could be because of the Drivers or Firmware of it right ? Normally it would be possible to create a dummy driver which would (let's say) show a picture ?

As for the 2.1 version, there isn't any particular reason, it was just out of curiosity :D

Guest KonstaT

Yes But isn't ZTE Open C a phone made to work with Firefox OS ? Then things should work out of the box normally. As for the Moto G camera problem, it could be because of the Drivers or Firmware of it right ? Normally it would be possible to create a dummy driver which would (let's say) show a picture ?

Yes, normally it is. Except that I didn't use anything from the original (Jelly Bean based) Firefox OS firmware. That would have been too easy. :P My build is based on KitKat and it's completely rebuilt from the ground up.

As already discussed it this thread, camera causes sensorservice to timeout and crash after that. Camera implementation is nothing but prebuilt blobs extracted from stock firmware. We don't have source code for that.

Guest aliasbody

Yes, normally it is. Except that I didn't use anything from the original (Jelly Bean based) Firefox OS firmware. That would have been too easy. :P My build is based on KitKat and it's completely rebuilt from the ground up.

I didn't knew about that :S Another good reason to hate proprietary software. But out of curiosity :

1 - Does ZTE Open C worth the try for development and normal use ? I mean I know that it isn't as good as Moto G but as a normal phone, is it good for daily use (is it slow on normal usage) ?

2 - What benefits could bring the use of a KitKat base for B2G ?

As already discussed it this thread, camera causes sensorservice to timeout and crash after that. Camera implementation is nothing but prebuilt blobs extracted from stock firmware. We don't have source code for that.

Thank you :) I'll read the posts again, I've probably made a speed reading and lost some parts.

Guest KonstaT

1 - Does ZTE Open C worth the try for development and normal use ? I mean I know that it isn't as good as Moto G but as a normal phone, is it good for daily use (is it slow on normal usage) ?

2 - What benefits could bring the use of a KitKat base for B2G ?

1. I bought mine purely as a dev toy. It performs exactly like any msm8x10 device does. Android experience is very smooth and there would be no problem for me to use it as a daily driver what comes to general performance. It lacks sensors (only acceleration, e.g. no proximity/als), has only 512mb of RAM, and display quality is quite poor. But overall it's not bad considering you'd still get three Open C's for the price of a Moto G.

2. It's not only Open C I'm supporting. That same device has Android variants as well (Kis 3, V811W, etc). Let's just say it's easier/makes more sense to upgrade Open C to KitKat than to downgrade Kis 3 to Jelly Bean. Also there's no Jelly Bean kernel source available for the device - only KitKat.

And it's also getting completely off topic...

Guest aliasbody

1. I bought mine purely as a dev toy. It performs exactly like any msm8x10 device does. Android experience is very smooth and there would be no problem for me to use it as a daily driver what comes to general performance. It lacks sensors (only acceleration, e.g. no proximity/als), has only 512mb of RAM, and display quality is quite poor. But overall it's not bad considering you'd still get three Open C's for the price of a Moto G.

2. It's not only Open C I'm supporting. That same device has Android variants as well (Kis 3, V811W, etc). Let's just say it's easier/makes more sense to upgrade Open C to KitKat than to downgrade Kis 3 to Jelly Bean. Also there's no Jelly Bean kernel source available for the device - only KitKat.

And it's also getting completely off topic...

Hello again,

Another question : Why is not the ROM based on the  LNX.LF.3.5.1-04900-8x26.0 ? Since, if I'm not wrong, this is the CAF version for the Moto G Processor.

Best Regards,

Luis Da Costa

Hello again,

Another question : Why is not the ROM based on the  LNX.LF.3.5.1-04900-8x26.0 ? Since, if I'm not wrong, this is the CAF version for the Moto G Processor.

Best Regards,

Luis Da Costa

Because, like I've already said, I have unified my B2G sources for all Qualcomm B-family devices. I'm using the exact same B2G source to build for both of my devices and it should be now fairly easy for someone to add support for new msm8610/msm8226 devices using my sources too.

There's no msm8610/msm8226 hardware specific differences that prevent us from using the same source. msm8610 just happened to have the latest tag at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

hi @KonstaT

am trying to compile b2g using your github but am getting a freeze(?) here -

cat  >> /Volumes/android/B2G/out/target/product/falcon/gaia_distribution/partner-prefs.js

any pointers (note i am noob in compiling)

thanks!

edit/ i am trying to compile on osx

Edited by peelie

hi @KonstaT

am trying to compile b2g using your github but am getting a freeze(?) here -

cat  >> /Volumes/android/B2G/out/target/product/falcon/gaia_distribution/partner-prefs.js

any pointers (note i am noob in compiling)

thanks!

edit/ i am trying to compile on osx

That's not likely where it fails though. Look for a line that has 'error' on it.

There's basic build instructions in the B2G repo's readme.

https://github.com/B2G-CAF/android_local_manifest

For further instructions, also see this post.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/373261-devrom139-firefox-os-b2g-for-zte-open-c-kis-3/?p=2225655

That's not likely where it fails though. Look for a line that has 'error' on it.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/373261-devrom139-firefox-os-b2g-for-zte-open-c-kis-3/?p=2225655

Hey!

Have you seen the 15 September manifest?

hi okay

here are warning messages:

/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:75:10: warning: format string
      is not a string literal (potentially insecure) [-Wformat-security]
                printf(_("aborted!\n\n"));
                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:36:17: note: expanded from
      macro '_'
#define _(text) gettext(text)
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:76:10: warning: format string
                printf(_("Console input/output is redirected. "));
                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:77:10: warning: format string
                printf(_("Run 'make oldconfig' to update configuration.\n\n"));
                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:87:10: warning: format string
                printf(_("(NEW) "));
                       ^~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:286:12: warning: format
      string is not a string literal (potentially insecure) [-Wformat-security]
                                printf(_(" (NEW)"));
                                       ^~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:434:13: warning: format
  ...printf(_("*\n* Restart config...\n*\n"));
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:603:6: warning: format string
  ..._("\n*** The configuration requires explicit update.\n\n"));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:655:20: warning: format
  ..._("\n*** Error during writing of the configuration.\n\n"));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:659:20: warning: format
  ...fprintf(stderr, _("\n*** Error during update of the configuration.\n\n"));
                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Volumes/android/B2G/kernel/scripts/kconfig/conf.c:670:20: warning: format
  ..._("\n*** Error during writing of the configuration.\n\n"));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      macro '_'

10 warnings generated.
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --defconfig=.config Kconfig
drivers/usb/gadget/Kconfig:881:warning: defaults for choice values not supported
#
# configuration written to .config
#

any help appreciated!

Hey!

Have you seen the 15 September manifest?

And? There's even a new tag today. This is all currently very uninteresting until they're going to bump it to next B2G version.

hi okay

here are warning messages:

any help appreciated!

Warnings are not fatal, no one cares. ;) You should see a line with 'error'. It could be somewhere a lot before build stops.

I don't know if there's any OSX specific issues though.

• 2 weeks later...