Hudl unable to update - stuck in a loop

Guest TC05

Guest TC05

Hi Everybody, I'm new to the forum, & new to tinkering with Android files & rooting.

So I have a problem, I've been browsing through the answers to others in a similar situation on the forum but haven't found any solution for a problem quite like mine.

I have a hudl that I rooted with Kingo ROOT to add an extra 3GB of memory with Roehsoft RAM expander which has been working fine. The new update 1.3.1 came and I decided (foolishly) to try and update. I unrooted with SU which was successful and then did a Factory Reset. The reset worked and I entered the set up and email details which then automatically went to install new update.

Downloaded Update, it then displayed checking integrity then Restart to install Update.

Restarts the installing System Update then an ERROR! after a while hudl will resart with the screen "Problem connecting... Check your Wi-Fi connection. tapped the "Check Wi-Fi" button and the screen "Update Available" appears again.

So now I'm in a loop and can't go anywhere.

I can connect the hudl to the internet and view the files which all appear to be empty 

I have tried "rktools17" with "hudl.20131016.200812.stock.rktools"  &  "hudl.20130923.020558.stock.rktools" but it does not recognise the device, i.e the green device light was not showing.

Am I snookered or is there a way out of this?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thank you in advance.

Edited by TC05

Guest TC05

@CaptainMidnight, thanks for your reply to my question in another thread, sorry for not being more specific.

Yes I mean that the rktools software didn't give me a green device light, but I don't know what you mean by "Hudl in bootloader mode"

TC05

Edited by TC05

Ok, that's a starting point then.

I'll assume here you're using windows either 7 (prefered) or 8 as RKtools is a windows program.

The software you're trying to use - RKtools - is designed to flash a new firmware/ROM to the hudl, it REQUIRES the hudl to be in 'bootloader' mode before it can deliver the new image to the hudl i.e. on and in the right mode to be able to communicate at a low level with the software.

To place the hudl in bootloader mode - easiest method is while it is powered on (say at the getting started screen - doesn't really matter but before the downloading a the v1.3.1 update screen and still connected to your computer - hold the volume UP button in and press the reset button on the back of the hudl by inserting a pin and giving it a short press, then release the volume UP button.

The hudl screen should blank and you'll probably hear another 'bing-bong' usb device connect on your computer.- remember you've done all of this with the hudl usb connection still connected to your computer.

Now, if the above was successful, one of two things will happen: -

1. RKtools software will light device no.1 in green - this means it can see your hudl in bootloader mode and is ready to go.

2. RKtools still does not recognise the connected hudl, but windows finds new hardware and asks for drivers or installs drivers.

With the RKtools software you downloaded you should find windows drivers for the version of windows you are using. Anyway, you should now be able to follow the previous thread by sirius-c here or once the drivers are installed just go ahead and flash the v1.3.1 (20140424.153851) that's also listed in that thread.

sirius-c also uses a different method to get the hudl to enter bootloader mode via the ADB software - each to their own.

Guest TC05

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes I am using windows but Vista.

I have just put the Hudl into bootloader mode as per your instructions but no green light on RKtools and it hasn't found new hardware and asked for drivers.

Guest flurry

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes I am using windows but Vista.

I have just put the Hudl into bootloader mode as per your instructions but no green light on RKtools and it hasn't found new hardware and asked for drivers.

has anything 'unknown' shown up in the windows device manager?

Guest TC05

I just tried Bootloader Mode again and it asked for drivers.

Found drivers and downloaded but got the following error message

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install"

"Driver not suitable for this platform"

Can't see anything in the 'Device Manager'

Edited by TC05

Guest flurry

I just tried Bootloader Mode again and it asked for drivers.

Found drivers and downloaded but got the following error message

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install"

"Driver not suitable for this platform"

did you downloaded drivers online (the auto finder thing) or install them from the rockusbdriver folder that's in the "rktools17" download?

If you've downloaded them online, you'll probably need to uninstall them and install the appropriate drivers for your system from the rockusbdriver folder

Edited by flurry

Guest TC05

did you downloaded drivers online (the auto finder thing) or install them from the rockusbdriver folder that's in the "rktools17" download?

If you've downloaded them online, you'll probably need to uninstall them and install the appropriate drivers for your system from the rockusbdriver folder

I installed from the "rktools17"  rockusb driver folder

Guest flurry

I installed from the "rktools17"  rockusb driver folder

okey dokey, definitely the right driver for your system? 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64)?

(I don't mean to be patronising, just trying to rule things out!)

......... also are you plugging your hudl into a USB2 port - sometimes / most of the time it doesn't work in USB3 ports with the RKtools17 software.

Guest TC05

has anything 'unknown' shown up in the windows device manager?

Yes, just checked again and I have "unknown device" in Device Manager.

If I try to install the drivers from there I get the message 'not suitable for this platform'

Guest flurry

Yes, just checked again and I have "unknown device" in Device Manager.

If I try to install the drivers from there I get the message 'not suitable for this platform'

there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the vista driver, hence my wondering if you're using the wrong one for your system?

Guest TC05

......... also are you plugging your hudl into a USB2 port - sometimes / most of the time it doesn't work in USB3 ports with the RKtools17 software.

Sorry to be so thick... but how do I knkow if it's USB2 or 3 port

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5735 

Edited by TC05

Easy way - look at the port on the computer/laptop if it's coloured BLUE it's USB3 if it's BLACK it's USB2 or legacy.

USB3 standard included the requirement for ports and cables to be colour BLUE to help identify they are USB3 certified. :wacko:

(that's the inside of the port / cable connectors)

Edited by Guest

Guest TC05

Easy way - look at the port on the computer/laptop if it's coloured BLUE it's USB3 if it's BLACK it's USB2 or legacy.

USB3 standard included the requirement for ports and cables to be colour BLUE to help identify they are USB3 certified. :wacko:

(that's the inside of the port / cable connectors)

OK thanks for that... they are black so USB2

Guest flurry

OK thanks for that... they are black so USB2

are you using the original hudl usb cable? My nexus 4 cable didn't seem to play well with the hudl when flashing

Guest TC05

are you using the original hudl usb cable? My nexus 4 cable didn't seem to play well with the hudl when flashing

I'm not sure... I have a few cables, I'll try a different one

Guest flurry

I'm not sure... I have a few cables, I'll try a different one

it's unlikely it's causing the problem, but it's worth ruling it out

I'd suspect more that it's the drivers

Guest TC05

it's unlikely it's causing the problem, but it's worth ruling it out

I'd suspect more that it's the drivers

I just tried another cable, not sure if it's Hudl, it has Weison on it

Same result though....    Driver not suitable for this platform

Right so in a previous post you were having issues loading the RKtools17 supplied drivers from the rockusbdriver subdirectory - is this still where you are at - what have you done to correct the wrong drivers that were previously loaded?

Sorry, but you are the person between your hudl and the back of your chair - we can't see what you're doing or have tried since that post.

Edited by Guest

Guest TC05

Right so in a previous post you were having issues loading the RKtools17 supplied drivers from the rockusbdriver subdirectory - is this still where you are at - what have you done to correct the wrong drivers that were previously loaded?

Sorry, but you are the person between your hudl and the back of your chair - we can't see what you're doing or have tried since that post.

OK in a word...... yes

to summarise, I have:

1. opened rktools17 
  2. Set the Hudl into bootloader mode - no green light - asks for drivers
  3. Install drivers from my computer from rktools driver folder
  4. received error message stating that drivers are not suitable for this platform
  5. Changed the cable and tried to install the drivers from the unknkown device in 'Device Manager' with the same result

So I don't believe that any drivers have been installed at this time

Thanks for your patience so far

Edited by TC05

Guest flurry

OK in a word...... yes

to summarise, I have:

1. opened rktools17 
  2. Set the Hudl into bootloader mode - no green light - asks for drivers
  3. Install drivers from my computer from rktools driver folder
  4. received error message stating that drivers are not suitable for this platform
  5. Changed the cable and tried to install the drivers from the unknkown device in 'Device Manager' with the same reult

Thanks for your patience so far

which drivers did you install from the rockusbdriver folder? Are they definitely correct for your system?

Guest TC05

which drivers did you install from the rockusbdriver folder? Are they definitely correct for your system?

System is:

Acer Aspire 5735 Intel core 2 duo

Windows Vista Home Premium - Service pack 2

32 bit operating system

I tried to install from rockusbDriver > x64 > vista

Guest flurry

System is:

Acer Aspire 5735 Intel core 2 duo

Windows Vista Home Premium - Service pack 2

32 bit operating system

I tried to install from rockusbDriver > x64 > vista

bingo! that's the issue, you're trying to install 64bit drivers on a 32bit system - try the rockusbdriver > x86 > vista driver

Guest TC05

bingo! that's the issue, you're trying to install 64bit drivers on a 32bit system - try the rockusbdriver > x86 > vista driver

You are right, what a dumbell!!

Thanks so much for your help flurry & CaptainMidnight

I've learnt a lot in the last 24 hours

Drivers downloaded OK

Green light on rktools

System restore successful

We're up and running

Thanks again you guys brilliant!