PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Android Wear is about to invade the UK and we have some more details on availability and pricing of the first to land, the LG G-Watch.

In a nutshell? The G-Watch is going to be released on 7th July in the UK and the RRP will be BELOW that of the Gear 2 Neo, which currently retails for £169.99.

We'll confirm the exact price as soon as we're able to share it, but the fact it's going to undercut the entry level Gear 2 and massively undercut the Pebble Steel is good news. While it'll still be more expensive than the Sony Smartwatch 2 I know which one I would prefer!

So who's going to buy one? I'll be first in line...!

Click here to view the item

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

domenico lamberti

domenico lamberti

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent,HTC Explorer
  • Twitter:@Mobile_Dom

as a Smartwatch 2 owner, as much as i'd prefer a Moto 360, i'll never be able to afford one, this on the other hand, while not lookin as nice IMO, is much better for text applications like hangouts notifications, brilliant, i hope its £150 or lower

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
Having used both in the emulator, I think design aside, square is definitely the form factor to have...!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

absro

absro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Note

Meh. Still square. Waiting for Moto 360.

I don't mind having a smaller square area with the real information and 4 mostly-unused arcs, but square watches are STILL too toy-like.

BiggidyBoing

BiggidyBoing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play

Interesting, I hope the Moto 360 is a similar price.  £150 is my limit for something like this.  The rumoured $249 price tag for the M360 seems about right but no doubt Moto will screw it up with insane price like they initially did with the Xoom.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
If the 360 is under £200 i'll eat my hat.

OK, maybe not, but i'd be surprised...

P

Posted Image

BiggidyBoing

BiggidyBoing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play

Well if the 360 is more than £200 then it better have heart rate and blood pressure sensors otherwise it will be out of date within 3 months.

I hear Josh Topolsky is rocking a 360 review unit.  Come on Paul, show us your wrists. :) 

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Wait for Apple's announcement, and all these iterations will then look like the designer's brains were "out to lunch".

comicbookguy

comicbookguy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 4

and apple's version will be at least £350...

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 (N4 etc retired)
  • Twitter:@TheSoupThief
Would be a clever move if Apple's smart watch were compatible at some level with Android phones. Smarter still if it weren't as overpriced as it's bound to be

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

and apple's version will be at least £350...

What's more rational; buying 3 watches @ £100-200 each and finding oneself disappointed by them and returning them, or buying one at (your assumed) £350, and having total satisfaction and stellar support? Time is more valuable than money - you can't get time back.

Here's my spin - the idea of a "smart" watch has never even entered my sphere of consciousness as a necessity, so I'd only buy the Apple one to review it :)

comicbookguy

comicbookguy

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 4

@soup thief: "at some level" would mean me buying a more expensive watch hobbled with less features, as a "gateway drug" to the apple ecosystem.. erm no. ;)

@glossywhite: roughly double what i perceive it's worth to be - par for the apple course. a few years ago having the entire internet in your pocket wasn't a "necessity", but could you live without it now? ;)

if a smartwatch comes in at £150-200, its not massively above the ballpark of what i would pay for a dumb watch, so the "smart" features are fairly cheap, and while i can still buy Nexus phones, i'm saving roughly that much on the cost of my phone compared to an S5, M8 or 5S anyway.

personally IF i get one, it may change my current strategy of buying a phone every year and a tablet every 2-3 years - it probably wont increase my overall spend on that sort of tech

todoleo

todoleo

Geek at heart, Tech Support Monkey and feeder of Wobbles (@fatol

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus / Lumia 710
  • Twitter:@Todoleo

Definitely getting one of these as soon as they are available in the UK.

I'll probably write a comparison between the Tizen powered Gear 2 and the Android GWatch.

Twitter: @Todoleo
Identi.ca: @Todoleo

Blog: Todoleo.com

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 (N4 etc retired)
  • Twitter:@TheSoupThief
@comicbookguy Sorry, I should have explained my thinking a bit more. What I meant was that outside the US Apple smartphone market share is in decline. iOS will not again be anything like the dominant platform for phones. I was meaning that if Apple could make a really nice watch that played as well with Android phones as it did with iphones, WP, Tizen etc, I think they'd do really well. Why limit themselves to selling to an ever shrinking number of iPhone owners when there's a whole world full of users of other phones who might want showy Apple hardware on their wrists?
Watches are jewellery - your watch is loads more visible to others than your phone is, hence some people spend a packet on a Rolex when a Casio tells the same time just as well. Apple could charge a lot of people a lot of money for something that needn't actually do much so long as it does it reliably and makes the buyer think it's going to impress.
I wouldn't waste money on the Apple-tax myself but there's plenty of punters out there that would I'm sure
I'll be interested to see how the Smartwatch thing plays out - looking forward to your review Todoleo

Edited by The Soup Thief, 15 June 2014 - 08:53 PM.

tarquino

tarquino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

i just hope these last a lot longer than casio watches.

oh.jpg

oh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users