To answer user questions all in one place.

Guest Mourta

Guest Mourta

This thread is to answer any and every one of your questions and i'll start with the most commonly used questions.

1. What is your addition to iodak's kernel.

At this point in time i have removed all of the Demetris additions that iodak added and regretted adding, i did so for two reasons, most of them are from Code Aurora and made for a different chipset than the one we use and the rest are just half additions of longer code chains that he could fit in there but didn't want to spend the time to complete. I've added about 2000 commits in one commit for one reason, i didn't expect i would share this kernel so i just made it for myself, it wasn't until Guiseppe asked me to that i shared it so i didn't structure my commits.

2. Why won't you use F2FS.

I've been involved in programming for the Linux kernel for a good 20 years, i've programmed for Unix and Xenix (don't worry if you don't know what that is, it was Microsofts failed attempt at Unix) and i've been involved in writing drivers for mobile devices for several years. This is a hobby, i produce free code and i'm not paid for it. So, there is my background which i add only to explain that i know a thing or two about drive management both for servers, desktops and mobile devices.

When it comes to F2FS i did what any sensible person would do, i didn't belive the hype that surrounded the new additions so i looked into what it actually does and i tested it in a real world situation (as i always do for everything before i release it).

If you had a hard drive in your phone then random reads would be a big deal, see in ye olden timey hard drives there were heads moving across magnetic discs and things like file system fragmentation mattered because the heads needed time to move across those discs, now we have solid state memory in our phones so this is irrelevant. What is relevant is reads, writes and application performance.

F2FS isn't great at reads and that is pretty much all you do with your phone (unless it's cached in which case it doesn't matter) you don't really need high write speeds on it (much better to do what i have done in my kernel, cache the writes) and you don't need excellent database performance unless you are using it to run databases on which you are not.

So in real world usage, Ext4 is faster and it's a tried and true file system, the only one i know that would actually be faster is XFS.

Now it's up to you to ask questions and me to decide if i want to answer them. :)

3. "Why don't you release a new ROM, there have been many nightlies since your last release"

Because there is no good reason to. You're running what i and the testers are running, if you want to update your ROM nightly for no reason what so ever this is NOT the ROM for you.

You can check the thread title, when there is a good reason to install a newer version of the ROM you'll find that it's been updated.

Sometimes there are loads of changes that do not affect our device, i won't update the ROM then because there is no reason to, sometimes code gets broken, i won't update the ROM then either. When there is a major change that i make to the dev tree or in a commit or when there are code changes that would benefit our device or when there are fixes or additions of features then i'll update the code.

The last interesting thing was the removal of DSP and addition of ViperFX, there is nothing new for us since then and right now art is borked so i'll wait until there is a good reason (notice the red thread there, good reason) to release a new version.

4. "What governors for CPU and CPUQuiet should i use and what scheduler and congestion control?"

I don't know but this is what i use and recommend:

1. CPU Governor: AbyssplugV2

2. CPUQuiet Governor: Balanced

3. Scheduler: ROW

4. Congestion control: Westwood (this is westwood+, there is no separate option for the old westwood)

Edited by Mourta

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

First OT: thank you for mentioning me, I'm simply an user who appreciated all your work's concrete relevance, nothing more CLOSED OT :)

Guest Mourta

First OT: thank you for mentioning me, I'm simply an user who appreciated all your work's concrete relevance, nothing more CLOSED OT :)

None of my code would be used by anyone but me if it wasn't for you, i was so tired of the politics in a forum where i was not welcome and where original code was shunned if not from one of two devs (they tolerate a third member but just barely) so i had just decided to make my phone as good as i could make it and leave it to others to make it for everyone else.

Guest creedence

Hi Mourta

Quick and painless : I use linux Manjaro since 2 years.I know far too little about Linux.One thing I know: XFS is the fastest.

Thanks

Guest creedence

It is possible. QUOTE :

HI Mourta

is this ROM EXT4 or F2FS compatible ?

thank you :)

All my ROM's for all forseeable future will all use ext4.

Edited by creedence

Guest Mourta

Hello,

y? dont you remove f2fs support from your kernel?

Because it's a stand alone anykernel which means that people will inevitably attempt to run it on f2fs ROM's.

It's worth keeping around if there are updates that changes the current situation too, i'm not opposed to using it if there comes a time when i see a good reason to do so.

Guest Mourta

will you add the kernel in the ROM?

All ROM's have a kernel, when the ROM is released the latest kernel will be the one in the ROM.

There may be later releases of the kernel that are not included in the ROM, in that case  you'll find that the date of the kernel thread is newer than that of the ROM thread.

All kernels released after a ROM are compatible with the latest released ROM.

We're all just awaiting the storm after Android L hits right now so don't expect many ROM changes or updates for a while, the mr3 is the last update for this (and all other) Roms.

Guest TheSonic

Thanks for your great efforts. I was experiencing some UI freezes when using your previous ROM/12-8 Kernel, Is that fixed on the latest ROM release? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mourta

@Mourta thanks for your great work. I have one question about another custom ROM ,like AOSB or PAC.They search for our device a maintainer .For example we are listed in their download site ( http://probam.net/android-kikat-download/?device=p880).You would be a great maintainer.

No thanks, i don't have the time for it and it's not something i'd use myself.

I only maintain this kernel and unofficial ROM because it's what i use and i'm nice enough to share it, i'm not really interested in working on other things.

• 4 weeks later...

Every day since I have installed your ROM I have been experiencing kernel panics few times a day. I have linked a log for you @Mourta. ROM was clean installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7364jxoq2mdh5f/last_kmsg_kernelpanic.log?dl=0

Since the first time you installed my original ROM? And you stuck with it?

Kudos... that takes some perserverence.

The good news is that 3.4 is in testing... it is rock solid when used with the ROM.

By rock solid i mean... it's ... it's something else.

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Since the first time you installed my original ROM? And you stuck with it?

Kudos... that takes some perserverence.

The good news is that 3.4 is in testing... it is rock solid when used with the ROM.

By rock solid i mean... it's ... it's something else.

I..I can confirm! :D

Have you ever got an idea of what "project butter" was meant to be, guys? Have you ever got a "buttery smoothness" on this phone? I don't remember anything similar to what I'm experiencing right now..Anyway, if your answer is "yes"..well, forget that. Mourta 3.4 is..better than butter. LOL :D

I..I can confirm! :D

Have you ever got an idea of what "project butter" was meant to be, guys? Have you ever got a "buttery smoothness" on this phone? I don't remember anything similar to what I'm experiencing right now..Anyway, if your answer is "yes"..well, forget that. Mourta 3.4 is..better than butter. LOL :D

It's... a vanilla kernel, well, not vanilla as in just released, it's just that it's completely standard, compiled with GCC 4.6, not a single line of code that wasn't absolutely needed, not a single optimization anywhere.

Cool thing though, i'm adding a driver to check your hardware (thank you IODAK for bringing that to userspace) and implementing scaling per profiling.

You can simply set your profile and change it and EVERYTHING from cpu clock (which scales by new devfreq) to the cpufreq framework and new DVFS takes it into account when calculating numbers.

Users won't see this for some time though, at least a month of testing on this.

In the meantime... it still scales fine and it is rock solid.

• 4 months later...

hey, hope this is the right place to ask.

first of all,Mourta, thank you very much for the work and the sharing of you'r work.

now, to my question,I'm trying to get the max screen on time possible.

i've tried you'r rom but it was laggish and stuck few times so for now i'm running omni rom Kitkat with you'r kernel.

there is no option for abbysplug but ROW does exists.

what setting/rom should i use to get max screen time including sacrifice of preformnce (i'ts already scaled down to 1300hz max and -50mV undervolt)

i'm really happy with our device, but very disappointed with the whole 5th slow core to max battery life, all i'm asking for is around 3-4 screen on time.

sorry for bad english, it's my 3rd language 

• 2 weeks later...

hey, hope this is the right place to ask.

first of all,Mourta, thank you very much for the work and the sharing of you'r work.

now, to my question,I'm trying to get the max screen on time possible.

i've tried you'r rom but it was laggish and stuck few times so for now i'm running omni rom Kitkat with you'r kernel.

there is no option for abbysplug but ROW does exists.

what setting/rom should i use to get max screen time including sacrifice of preformnce (i'ts already scaled down to 1300hz max and -50mV undervolt)

i'm really happy with our device, but very disappointed with the whole 5th slow core to max battery life, all i'm asking for is around 3-4 screen on time.

sorry for bad english, it's my 3rd language 

I have no idea, why not ask Adam77Root, he's the maintainer of that ROM.

For my kernel on my ROM it's mentioned a number of time in the thread for that ROM.

Your English is fine.

Edited by Mourta