[Recovery] ClockWorkMod 6.0.5.1 for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blaziken662

Hi there! I know maybe this question is kind of dumb but can this recovery be flashed into an Alcatel One Touch Fire C? Both devices share SoC, but not screen size and resolution.

Do you know how can I port CWM into that device if this doesn't work?

Thanks!

Guest KonstaT

Hi there! I know maybe this question is kind of dumb but can this recovery be flashed into an Alcatel One Touch Fire C? Both devices share SoC, but not screen size and resolution.

Do you know how can I port CWM into that device if this doesn't work?

No. Kernel would never boot, completely different device with different hardware.

Recovery is usually built as a 'by-product' of a ROM build (CM11 - ClockWorkmod, OmniROM - TWRP). Google will find all kinds of porting guides but I'm not sure how up to date those are.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

sorry mister. ask again.. how to root my v811w from original recovery?

You don't!

Having 'root' (administrative access) is always something releated to running an operating system. You simply can't 'root your device'. You can boot/install a custom recovery which can be considered a mini-OS of its own (and within which you can have root access). You'll only need an unlocked bootloader that is accessible with fastboot to do that (which all of these devices already have out-of-the-box).

There's not much point in 'rooting' the stock Android firmware if you're only going replace it with a custom ROM (e.g. CyanogenMod that already has a built-in root management).

Guest KonstaT

oh.. just uncloked the bootloader?.. and i can flash the cm11 rom?

Unlocked bootloader to install a custom recovery. Custom recovery to install a custom ROM...

I'm sure Google will find plenty of information and basic terminology on custom ROMs. Everything I've posted on this forum is for advanced users only. You shouldn't be doing any of this if you can't understand the instructions and have the basic knowledge of what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Durreau

Yes, I think there's even a build on the Russian forums. I haven't tested it myself and I don't have any interest in making a build myself either.

you have the link of that build?

Guest Aesin

So yeah, I'm pretty new to adb (I rooted with towelroot, odin, superoneclick but I don't know squat about adb, I know a bunch of stuff about rooting and such so it's nothing new or extraordinary for me) and when I reboot to the bootloader the screen goes pitch black (I assume that's what supposed to happen) and i hear the usb disconnect sound. When I try to push the recovery it waits for the device. The screen stays black until I pull out the battery. I assumed it's a drivers issue but I've been trying different versions for a longer while. Nope. Am I doing something wrong or just windows sucks when it comes to drivers?

Edited by Aesin

Guest Barteu

This is my build of Koush's ClockWorkMod Recovery 6.0.5.0 for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Beeline Smart2, Moche/MEO Smart A16, ZTE V811W, ZTE V811, Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, etc).

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this thread instead.

recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.0-kis3.zip (CWM/TWRP flashable)
md5:8e8dd0fabd3ec9d48c9b077da5083b48

recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img
md5:2333a51e306976dc4dbacf0856a3b915

This recovery is fully working with goodies such as repeatable keys and adb sideload support. Use volume keys to navigate menus and power button to select. Internal sdcard is handled differently on Open C and Kis 3 so this recovery only supports external sdcard.

Do not use this recovery to flash official updates from ZTE website! You need to repack them for ClockWorkMod or use the stock recovery to install.

How to make clean ROM dump/backup of your device (before you root or install CWM): (recommended)
1. Download and install ZTE USB drivers (windows) or setup udev rules (linux)
2. Download and install Android SDK tools and platform-tools to get adb and fastboot
3. Download recovery-cwm60xx-kis3.img recovery image and rename it to recovery.img
4. Create a new directory somewhere and copy adb(.exe), fastboot(.exe) and recovery.img into it
5. Enable USB debugging on your device (Firefox OS - Settings -> Device information -> More Information -> Developer -> Remote Debugging --- Android - Settings->Developer options -> Android debugging)
6. Plug in your device via USB cable and install drivers if necessary
7. Open terminal window as an administrator (windows) or execute adb commands with sudo (linux)
8. Change into the directory you've created and execute following commands in terminal window (boots into recovery instead of flashing it)
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img

9. select backup & restore -> backup (Seriously, always backup your device before you install anything!)

How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery:
1. Download and install ZTE USB drivers (windows) or setup udev rules (linux)
2. Download and install Android SDK tools and platform-tools to get adb and fastboot
3. Download recovery-cwm60xx-kis3.img recovery image and rename it to recovery.img
4. Create a new directory somewhere and copy adb(.exe), fastboot(.exe) and recovery.img into it
5. Enable USB debugging on your device (Firefox OS - Settings -> Device information -> More Information -> Developer -> Remote Debugging --- Android - Settings -> Developer options -> Android debugging)
6. Plug in your device via USB cable and install drivers if necessary
7. Open terminal window as an administrator (windows) or execute adb commands with sudo (linux)
8. Change into the directory you've created and execute following commands in terminal window
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

9. Congratulations, you have installed CWM to your device

10. Boot into ClockWorkMod by pressing volume up while powering on or using 'adb reboot recovery'
11. Select backup & restore -> backup (Seriously, always backup your device before you install anything!)

How to root your (Android) firmware via recovery:
1. Download root app of your choice (Koush's Superuser or Chainfire's SuperSU) and save it to your sdcard
2. Follow instructions on how to install/boot ClockWorkMod recovery
3. Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard -> root-app-of-your-choice.zip

Sources for the recovery are available in my github. You can compile it yourself using CM11 source tree.

How can i reverse all off this , so i can get back the stock recovery? XD

Guest Durreau

Is easy, do the same process to install CWM Recovery via fastboot, but with the stock recovery image. You found it in the EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip package

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot reboot
Edited by Durreau

Guest KonstaT

So yeah, I'm pretty new to adb (I rooted with towelroot, odin, superoneclick but I don't know squat about adb, I know a bunch of stuff about rooting and such so it's nothing new or extraordinary for me) and when I reboot to the bootloader the screen goes pitch black (I assume that's what supposed to happen) and i hear the usb disconnect sound. When I try to push the recovery it waits for the device. The screen stays black until I pull out the battery. I assumed it's a drivers issue but I've been trying different versions for a longer while. Nope. Am I doing something wrong or just windows sucks when it comes to drivers?

Yes, Windows most definately sucks when it comes to drivers. Fastboot even uses generic Google mode (18d1:d00d) which is exactly the same every for fricking Android device out there. It really amazes me it's that difficult to make a driver. Use a Linux box - it will just work™.

There's no visual confirmation that you've booted to bootloader on this device. It just stays on a blank screen if you have a Android/KitKat bootloader, or in the splash screen if you have a Firefox OS/Jelly Bean bootloader. Seems like you're fine up until that point and you'd just need a proper fastboot driver to move forward.

Is easy, do the same process to install CWM Recovery via fastboot, but with the stock recovery image. You found it in the EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip package

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot reboot

Exactly like this, where recovery.img is the stock recovery you'd want to flash. It's not Firefox OS/Jelly Bean recovery from that package you should use if you have a Kis 3, though.

Guest KonstaT
I added a ZTE USB driver to the instructions in the OP. It's a driver that comes in a cd image with the Kis 3 stock firmware (/system/etc/pcsuite.iso).

I haven't tested these on my computer so I don't if this is any help. My Windows 7 64-bit somehow managed to install all the correct drivers for my device on it's own.

Guest Durreau

Yes, I think there's even a build on the Russian forums. I haven't tested it myself and I don't have any interest in making a build myself either.

I found it, but don´t able to download that file... is possible to you post here that file?

Guest Barteu

Yes, Windows most definately sucks when it comes to drivers. Fastboot even uses generic Google mode (18d1:d00d) which is exactly the same every for fricking Android device out there. It really amazes me it's that difficult to make a driver. Use a Linux box - it will just work.

There's no visual confirmation that you've booted to bootloader on this device. It just stays on a blank screen if you have a Android/KitKat bootloader, or in the splash screen if you have a Firefox OS/Jelly Bean bootloader. Seems like you're fine up until that point and you'd just need a proper fastboot driver to move forward.

Exactly like this, where recovery.img is the stock recovery you'd want to flash. It's not Firefox OS/Jelly Bean recovery from that package you should use if you have a Kis 3, though.

so what recovery should i use?

Guest KonstaT
New build. As some might know ClockWorkMod has been discontinued and replaced by Cyanogen recovery in Lollipop. Here's a build with the final CWM changes.

recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-kis3.zip (CWM/TWRP flashable)
md5:a1eb8af7d8e2606df9eaa7734c180076

recovery-cwm6051-kis3.img
md5:3571bf70f64e59fb73d8f1f229158d1c

-ClockWorkMod 6.0.5.1

• 1 month later...
Guest naddel81

Hi @ all,

I just found this interesting thread and wanted to give CM12.1 a try on my Firefox phone (ZTE Open C). So I installed Android 4.4.2 and rooted it with this tutorial (http://www.android-hilfe.de/zte-open-c-forum/569613-zte-open-c-android-4-4-2-flashen-root-account-aktivieren.html).

And now I have trouble getting CWM to run since it reboots after the first command, but does not load any recovery.img. The screen keeps black and when I send the second command (to load recovery.img) it says "waiting for device" and takes forever...I have to take the battery out in order to start the device again. What am I doing wrong? Android KitKat install + Root went fine.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best wishes from Germany!

Edited by naddel81

Guest KonstaT

Hi @ all,

I just found this interesting thread and wanted to give CM12.1 a try on my Firefox phone (ZTE Open C). So I installed Android 4.4.2 and rooted it with this tutorial (http://www.android-hilfe.de/zte-open-c-forum/569613-zte-open-c-android-4-4-2-flashen-root-account-aktivieren.html).

And now I have trouble getting CWM to run since it reboots after the first command, but does not load any recovery.img. The screen keeps black and when I send the second command (to load recovery.img) it says "waiting for device" and takes forever...I have to take the battery out in order to start the device again. What am I doing wrong? Android KitKat install + Root went fine.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best wishes from Germany!

That's the bootloader and exactly where you should be. You just need to install some proper fastboot drivers on your computer.

This has been asked and answered several times on this thread already...

Guest naddel81

ok, sorry for asking. the thing is that I already installed the drivers for the open C. that way I could install 4.4.2 and root it. is there a special fastboot driver for the device?