[DEV][ROM][2.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Is this build compatible with the Mozilla nightly flame-kk builds? I mean, can I then shallow flash Gecko and Gaia from a flame-kk build on top of this build?

That didn't work when I tested it. It flashed successfully but got stuck in a bootloop. I don't know if it was just a bad nightly or something because this is an userdebug (vs. eng) build. Afaict that shouldn't matter though as long as adb is running as root.

Have the Jelly Bean based flame nightly builds stopped or why do you need this? They've now added the shallow flash method to Open C guide but that nightly download page is a complete mess...

Have the Jelly Bean based flame nightly builds stopped or why do you need this? They've now added the shallow flash method to Open C guide but that nightly download page is a complete mess...

Yes, the Jelly Bean based flame builds have stopped now - so yes, they have added the shallow flash method for Open C, but there are no up-to-date builds to shallow flash any more...

Guest G.Steele

Hi all, and first of all big thanks to KonstaT for your awesome work

As cmeerw stated, it's no longer possible to apply flame-kk updates on our Jelly bean device.

So I wanted to flash your KK-based CAF image.

Right now I'm trying to flash Comebuy's Android KK image with "apply update from SD card" but it fails ("E: signature verification failed").

(I have double-checked the .zip file of course)

This must be because I already had flashed the "rooted" FirefoxOS 1.3 image, provided by comebuy, so the device is not completly "stock" rom.

As an alternative, I'm currently downloading the official ZTE's Kis3 Android image

http://www.ztedevices.com/support/smart_phone/a44716dd-5380-42c6-b537-f206df32b7ea.html

Can I assume this will work without bricking my device?

Thanks

Guest KonstaT

Hi all, and first of all big thanks to KonstaT for your awesome work

As cmeerw stated, it's no longer possible to apply flame-kk updates on our Jelly bean device.

So I wanted to flash your KK-based CAF image.

Right now I'm trying to flash Comebuy's Android KK image with "apply update from SD card" but it fails ("E: signature verification failed").

(I have double-checked the .zip file of course)

This must be because I already had flashed the "rooted" FirefoxOS 1.3 image, provided by comebuy, so the device is not completly "stock" rom.

As an alternative, I'm currently downloading the official ZTE's Kis3 Android image

http://www.ztedevices.com/support/smart_phone/a44716dd-5380-42c6-b537-f206df32b7ea.html

Can I assume this will work without bricking my device?

Thanks

You can't install regular ZTE firmware packages with the stock recovery you have after installing the rooted Firefox OS engineering build. This is because the eng build is signed with standard open test keys and the recovery also looks for that. All regular ZTE packages are signed with closed/proprietary ZTE keys instead. Flash/boot recovery.img from a normal ZTE update first (e.g. there's one inside EU_Android_to_FFOS.zip, installing/booting the same way as any other recovery image described in the ClockWorkMod thread) and use that recovery to install EU_FFOS_to_Android.zip. Another option would be to re-sign a regular ZTE firmware package with the test keys and use the eng recovery to install.

I wouldn't recommend flashing Kis 3 packages directly to an Open C unless you know what you're doing. Kis 3 and Open C have different partition layouts and some Kis 3 stock Android ROMs are actually bigger than the /system partition on Open C layout and won't fit. I tried and failed, and I would have bricked my device if I didn't happen to have ClockWorkMod installed at the time.

Guest G.Steele

Flash/boot recovery.img from a normal ZTE update first (e.g. there's one inside EU_Android_to_FFOS.zip, installing/booting the same way as any other recovery image described in the ClockWorkMod thread) and use that recovery to install EU_FFOS_to_Android.zip.

Thanks for the explanation.

I just did that and Android flash went OK :)

Now going to flash your CWM and finally your B2G build.

More feedback to come, since I want to shallow flash Mozilla's flame-kk updates.

Guest G.Steele

- CWM flashed OK

- B2G flashed OK

Just noticed a regression (I was running B2G 2.0, my own compilation from 09/26/2014, on Jelly Bean before flashing your build) :

- camera resolution is stuck to qcif max resolution for videos, whereas I was able to record vids in 720p in my build.

Also, I forgot to "root" Android before flashing B2G.

I guess I can flash your CM11 build (which is already rooted) with CWM then flash back B2G in order to have a rooted filesystem?

Edited by G.Steele

Guest KonstaT

Just noticed a regression (I was running B2G 2.0, my own compilation from 09/26/2014, on Jelly Bean before flashing your build) :

- camera resolution is stuck to qcif max resolution for videos, whereas I was able to record vids in 720p in my build.

Also, I forgot to "root" Android before flashing B2G.

I guess I can flash your CM11 build (which is already rooted) with CWM then flash back B2G in order to have a rooted filesystem?

I highly doubt you're recording 720p videos on this device. The platform (msm8610 chipset) is capable of that but the crappy camera sensor is not. Android records videos at max 480p on this device. I checked few videos recorded with Firefox OS and they're CIF (352x288), amount of pixels in QCIF is only quarter of that (176x144). I think some of those were recorded with the stock ZTE Firefox OS build so I'm not sure if there's any regression.

I think you're missing the whole concept of root. It's something related to running an operating system (having administrative access). 'Root' isn't something that persists switching between operating systems. You can already have 'root' on this Firefox OS build by running a rooted adb shell.

Guest G.Steele

I highly doubt you're recording 720p videos on this device. The platform (msm8610 chipset) is capable of that but the crappy camera sensor is not. Android records videos at max 480p on this device. I checked few videos recorded with Firefox OS and they're CIF (352x288), amount of pixels in QCIF is only quarter of that (176x144). I think some of those were recorded with the stock ZTE Firefox OS build so I'm not sure if there's any regression.

I think you're missing the whole concept of root. It's something related to running an operating system (having administrative access). 'Root' isn't something that persists switching between operating systems. You can already have 'root' on this Firefox OS build by running a rooted adb shell.

Yes I was mixing things a little, concerning root access :)

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system

It's all good.

As for the higher video quality, I kid you not. When I switched from stock FxOS 1.3 to my 2.0 build, video resolution of 1280x720 was selectable.

I'll upload video samples so that you can see.

Guest G.Steele

Just did a shallow flash, and it worked.

wget https://github.com/Mozilla-TWQA/B2G-flash-tool/raw/master/shallow_flash.sh && chmod +x shallow_flash.sh
wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-b2g32_v2_0-flame-kk/b2g-32.0.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz
wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-b2g32_v2_0-flame-kk/gaia.zip

./shallow_flash.sh -ggaia.zip -Gb2g-32.0.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz

- Strange thing, in this update (30-Nov-2014), they have decreased the default font size, everything appears much smaller (too small actually...)

- no resolution selection anymore in photo/video settings (defaults to cif for videos)

Guest KonstaT

As for the higher video quality, I kid you not. When I switched from stock FxOS 1.3 to my 2.0 build, video resolution of 1280x720 was selectable.

I'll upload video samples so that you can see.

Please do. Just because there's an option doesn't mean it actually works. ;)

Just did a shallow flash, and it worked.

wget https://github.com/Mozilla-TWQA/B2G-flash-tool/raw/master/shallow_flash.sh && chmod +x shallow_flash.sh
wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-b2g32_v2_0-flame-kk/b2g-32.0.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz
wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-b2g32_v2_0-flame-kk/gaia.zip

./shallow_flash.sh -ggaia.zip -Gb2g-32.0.en-US.android-arm.tar.gz

- Strange thing, in this update (30-Nov-2014), they have decreased the default font size, everything appears much smaller (too small actually...)

- no resolution selection anymore in photo/video settings (defaults to cif for videos)

Great. :) Good to know it works. So that was also a 2.0 build you flashed? Iirc it was a 2.2 nightly I had no luck with.

Did you flash the font fix?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/Flame#Font_fix

Guest hecatae

Great. :) Good to know it works. So that was also a 2.0 build you flashed? Iirc it was a 2.2 nightly I had no luck with.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/Flame#Font_fix

font fix fails to flash due to read-only file system, Konstat could you provide a cwm zip?

#/bin/bash

ADB=${ADB:-adb}

if [ ! -f "`which \"$ADB\"`" ]; then
	ADB=./adb
fi

echo Remounting system &&
adb remount &&

echo Stopping B2G &&
adb shell stop b2g &&

echo Installing new Fira fonts &&
adb push fonts /system/fonts &&

echo Restarting B2G &&
adb shell start b2g &&

echo Done
./flash.sh 
Remounting system
remount failed: Permission denied
Stopping B2G
Installing new Fira fonts
push: fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf -> /system/fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf
failed to copy 'fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf' to '/system/fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf': Read-only file system

and https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Mozilla-TWQA/B2G-flash-tool/master/update_system_fonts.sh

### Please make sure:
1) your phone is unlocked,
2) the adb is enabled,
3) and the adb is running as root.
### (Press Return to continue...)
/tmp/fonts_temp.8GZJD5IG3ozN /tmp/fonts_temp.8GZJD5IG3ozN/fira-font-update/
Remounting system
remount failed: Permission denied
Stopping B2G
Installing new Fira fonts
push: fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf -> /system/fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf
failed to copy 'fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf' to '/system/fonts/FiraSans-Bold.otf': Read-only file system
Flash System Fonts failed.

Guest KonstaT

font fix fails to flash due to read-only file system, Konstat could you provide a cwm zip?

Why? Simply running adb as root would help...

adb kill-server
sudo adb start-server

Guest hecatae

Why? Simply running adb as root would help...

adb kill-server
sudo adb start-server

I was running adb as root.

edit: tried the latest nightly and no boot, off to try cm12

Guest G.Steele

Yes I'm running 2.0 since it was pretty stable.

And I just flashed the font fix with success, but it does not change anything (they say it's for 2.1+ in the script)

EDIT : 720p video sample here (I just stripped the sound, no video re-encoding)

https://anonfiles.com/file/e75285b77596bc2a219ec4568a929c28

You tell me :)

Edited by G.Steele

Guest G.Steele

Just tried to shallow flash B2G 2.1 and 2.2 (nightlies from 06 december) : booting B2G does not complete, below is the output of adb logcat (error loop)

I/AudioFlinger(  950): loadHwModule() Loaded r_submix audio interface from Wifi Display audio HAL (audio) handle 5
I/AudioPolicyService(  950): Loaded audio policy from LEGACY Audio Policy HAL (audio_policy)
I/Gecko   (  961): [961] WARNING: Tried to RegisterCallback without an AtExitManager: file ../../../gecko/ipc/chromium/src/base/at_exit.cc, line 40
W/        (  951): could not open framebuffer
I/qdhwcomposer(  951): Initializing Qualcomm Hardware Composer
I/qdhwcomposer(  951): MDP version: 304
D/qdhwcomposer(  951): hwc_getDisplayAttributes disp = 0, width = 480
D/qdhwcomposer(  951): hwc_getDisplayAttributes disp = 0, height = 800
E/qdhwcomposer(  951): Unknown display attribute 0
I/QCOM PowerHAL(  951): QCOM power HAL initing.
D/qdhwcomposer(  951): hwc_blank: Unblanking display: 0
D/qdhwcomposer(  951): hwc_blank: Done unblanking display: 0
I/        (  951): Starting bootanimation with (1) format framebuffer
W/Gonk    (  951): Could not open boot animation
I/GeckoConsole(  951): Failed to load native module at path '/system/b2g/components/libxpcomsample.so': (80004005) dlopen failed: library "/system/b2g/components/libxpcomsample.so" not found
E/QCALOG  (  279): [MessageQ] ProcessNewMessage: [XTWiFi-PE] unknown deliver target [OS-Agent]
I/Gecko   (  951): Sandboxing support is required on this platform.  Recompile kernel with CONFIG_SECCOMP_FILTER=y
I/Gecko   (  961): [Child 961] WARNING: pipe error (10): Connection reset by peer: file ../../../gecko/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 457
I/ServiceManager(  190): service 'display.qservice' died
I/ServiceManager(  190): service 'media.audio_flinger' died
I/ServiceManager(  190): service 'media.player' died
I/ServiceManager(  190): service 'media.camera' died
I/ServiceManager(  190): service 'media.audio_policy' died
E/QCALOG  (  279): [MessageQ] ProcessNewMessage: [XT-CS] unknown deliver target [OS-Agent]

Reverting to the latest B2G 2.0 : boots OK :)

Guest KonstaT

Just tried to shallow flash B2G 2.1 and 2.2 (nightlies from 06 december) : booting B2G does not complete, below is the output of adb logcat (error loop)

Oh yeah, now I know what's going on. :) Kernel needs to be compiled with seccomp feature enabled. I had that same problem with one B2G 2.1 build. I guess it's required on B2G versions above 2.0.

Edit. Ok, here's a kernel with seccomp feature enabled. You should be able to shallow flash to 2.1/2.2 after flashing this in recovery.

b2g-kis3-kernel-seccomp.zip
md5:7087ee1ce4253e38e85fbc0254c13166

Edit2. Still no good. :( This is the only obvious error
I/GeckoConsole(  206): Failed to load native module at path '/system/b2g/components/libxpcomsample.so': (80004005) dlopen failed: library "/system/b2g/components/libxpcomsample.so" not found

but I checked Flame factory images and that file isn't there either. :o And actually that is probably not a fatal error. It's doesn't boot because display just craps out for some reason.

Guest G.Steele

Hope this can be fixed someday! (Maybe Mozilla is slowly leaving behind the compatibility for the Open C? :angry: )

B2G 2.0 is still not officially released, but is daily usable (I did it for 3 months) :)

Thanks for the effort anyway!

Guest KonstaT

Hope this can be fixed someday! (Maybe Mozilla is slowly leaving behind the compatibility for the Open C? :angry: )

Mozilla has nothing to do with software updates on Open C so you're barking at the wrong tree. They could choose their partners and who they promote more carefully though (e.g. ZTE still hasn't released the kernel source for Open C Firefox OS as required by GPL and their whole open source site has been down for a while now).

Guest G.Steele

Ok :)

In the meantime I reflashed your build, then updated Gaia only (not Gecko) and :

- the display is OK just as in your build (no more small font sizes and icons)

- in camera app they have removed resolution selection as noted before. So this is not even Gecko-related.

For those who wish update Gaia manually (instead of just using shallow flash), you can do the following :

Remember this is still for B2G v2.0.

(this will download approx. ~1G)

• cd gaia
  • (sudo) PRODUCTION=1 make reset-gaia

(warning this will reset your data! you may use "make install-gaia" instead if you don't want to reset your settings)

Some customizations ideas :

• If you like the URL-bar in browser to not disappear when scrolling down, comment the line 558 like this :
  handleScroll: function browser_handleScroll(evt) {
    this.lastScrollOffset = evt.detail.top;

if (evt.detail.top < this.LOWER_SCROLL_THRESHOLD) {
      this.showAddressBar();
    } else if (evt.detail.top > this.UPPER_SCROLL_THRESHOLD) {
//      this.hideAddressBar();
    }
  },

in apps/browser/js/browser.js

• I'd also like to make the "close" button bigger in the app switcher screen, but I haven't found yet where to apply changes.

I'd also like to make the "close" button bigger in the app switcher screen, but I haven't found yet where to apply changes.

/shared/elements/gaia_grid/style.css line 136.

Maybe a new thread "ZTE Open C B2G customization" wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

Finally found some time to try this build on my Open C, but for some reason it doesn't like my SIM card. Well, I have actually tried 3 different SIM cards and out of those 2 work and 1 doesn't work (just says "No SIM") - I have no idea why as all 3 SIM cards work in other phones and with the original (jb-based) firmware. But the one that doesn't work is actually the one I want to use in that phone. Any idea why that could be? Maybe I should try if the SIM card works in Android KitKat...

Guest G.Steele

/shared/elements/gaia_grid/style.css line 136.

Maybe a new thread "ZTE Open C B2G customization" wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

Ok I have started a new topic :)

btw :

/shared/elements/gaia_grid/style.css line 136

I'm afraid this is not the file we need to modify

Maybe I should try if the SIM card works in Android KitKat...

So yes, that SIM card works in Andoid KitKat on that phone as well. But as soon as I install this b2g build, the SIM card isn't recognised any more...

Guest KonstaT

Finally found some time to try this build on my Open C, but for some reason it doesn't like my SIM card. Well, I have actually tried 3 different SIM cards and out of those 2 work and 1 doesn't work (just says "No SIM") - I have no idea why as all 3 SIM cards work in other phones and with the original (jb-based) firmware. But the one that doesn't work is actually the one I want to use in that phone. Any idea why that could be? Maybe I should try if the SIM card works in Android KitKat...

You've read this part, right?

Important. Prerequisites!!! You need to install Android KitKat on your Open C first (e.g. EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip will do). Yes, that's right - this build is based on KitKat unlike the official ZTE Open C Firefox OS firmware. You also need to have this ClockWorkMod recovery installed (TWRP seems to have some issues with CAF otapackages :o).

Firefox OS (Jelly Bean) modem won't work. You need to update to KitKat first.

Edit. Sorry, should have actually read your post. :P So two SIM cards work and only one doesn't...