[DEV][ROM][2.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

I am about to flash and I just noticed that USB share does not work (all required settings enabled) , is it normal?

You mean with the build from the OP? UMS should work just fine.

How do you know which files have to be flashed amoung all the built stuff?

You'd need to flash boot.img and system.img and erase userdata.

I still prefer a recovery flashable zip over flashing with fastboot. You can copy attached file as out/host/linux-x86/framework/signapk.jar and use 'make otapackage' to create a flashable package.

Rename .zip->.jar, MoDaCo doesn't allow attaching executable files.

signapk.zip

Guest spalock

You mean with the build from the OP? UMS should work just fine.

Yes with your build.

You'd need to flash boot.img and system.img and erase userdata.

I still prefer a recovery flashable zip over flashing with fastboot. You can copy attached file as out/host/linux-x86/framework/signapk.jar and use 'make otapackage' to create a flashable package.

Rename .zip->.jar, MoDaCo doesn't allow attaching executable files.

attachicon.gifsignapk.zip

OK, thanks. :)

Guest spalock

First build flashed with success! ;)

Thanks once more for taking the time to share your skills and knowledge. :D

Up to now I do not see any visible change, wifi authentication through SIM card still does not work, neither UMS.

Now on to the next step: building the freshly created branch 2.1 of b2g (master seems to refer to 2.2 now).

How would you suggest to proceed?

Guest KonstaT

Up to now I do not see any visible change, wifi authentication through SIM card still does not work, neither UMS.

Now on to the next step: building the freshly created branch 2.1 of b2g (master seems to refer to 2.2 now).

How would you suggest to proceed?

What is 'wifi authentication through SIM card'? I have no idea what you mean.

USB mass storage works just fine. I've tested it on both Linux and Windows 7. It must be a problem at your end. Make sure you've set the correct udev rules (linux) or have the appropriate drivers installed (windows). Also make sure that you're actually sharing your sdcard under Media storage -> Share using USB.

See how B2G manifests are structured and replace B2G projects with master/2.1 versions from mozilla.

Guest spalock

What is 'wifi authentication through SIM card'? I have no idea what you mean.

The technical name seems to be EAP-SIM. In practice in allows to connect to secure and trusted wifi hotspots.

USB mass storage works just fine. I've tested it on both Linux and Windows 7. It must be a problem at your end. Make sure you've set the correct udev rules (linux) or have the appropriate drivers installed (windows). Also make sure that you're actually sharing your sdcard under Media storage -> Share using USB

I have tested on fedora 20, ubuntu 14 and OSX, all required options are enabled, udev rule is set. UMS worked fine with builds found on xda forum. Anyway, it's not a show stopper. :)

Edited by spalock

Guest KonstaT

The technical name seems to be EAP-SIM. In practice in allows to connect to secure and trusted wifi hotspots.

Does that work on the stock Firefox OS?

You could try adding the property to enable EAP-SIM to your /system/build.prop.

ro.moz.wifi.eapsim_supported=1

Guest spalock

I do not tested on stock FFOS, but that worked on another build from xda forum.

I failed to udpate build.prop because of system is mounted as read only. I googled for that and found many different solutions so I do not know a safe way for sure. How do you get around this?

Guest KonstaT

I do not tested on stock FFOS, but that worked on another build from xda forum.

I failed to udpate build.prop because of system is mounted as read only. I googled for that and found many different solutions so I do not know a safe way for sure. How do you get around this?

In adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
echo "ro.moz.wifi.eapsim_supported=1" >> /system/build.prop

and reboot your device.

Or simply edit build.prop with a text editor and place it inside the flashable zip before installing it.

Guest spalock

First attemp to build 2.1, first failure. ^_^

This is the manifest I modified, and the error message:

Build configuration changed. Regenerating backend.
Reticulating splines...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "config.status", line 966, in <module>
    config_status(**args)
  File "/home/antoine/ffos/caf/gecko/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/config_status.py", line 148, in config_status
    summary = the_backend.consume(definitions)
  File "/home/antoine/ffos/caf/gecko/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/backend/base.py", line 181, in consume
    for obj in objs:
  File "/home/antoine/ffos/caf/gecko/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/emitter.py", line 128, in emit
    for out in output:
  File "/home/antoine/ffos/caf/gecko/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 825, in read_mozbuild
    raise bre
mozbuild.frontend.reader.BuildReaderError: 
==============================
ERROR PROCESSING MOZBUILD FILE
==============================

The error occurred while processing the following file:

/home/antoine/ffos/caf/gecko/js/src/shell/moz.build

The error was triggered on line 33 of this file:

OS_LIBS += CONFIG['EDITLINE_LIBS']

An error was encountered as part of executing the file itself. The error appears to be the fault of the script.

The error as reported by Python is:

['ValueError: Only lists can be appended to lists.\n']

make[3]: *** [backend.RecursiveMakeBackend] Error 1
make[2]: *** [realbuild] Error 2
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make: *** [out/target/product/kis3/obj/DATA/gecko_intermediates/gecko] Error 2

Is the modified manifest OK?

Guest KonstaT

First attemp to build 2.1, first failure. ^_^

This is the manifest I modified, and the error message:

Is the modified manifest OK?

Clean build? Does the gaia/gecko b2g_autogen_ephemeral_branch creation still work and are the CAF patches applied? CAF build system is a bit different than building from Mozilla sources.

I would have gone directly for Mozilla's sources but that CAF mirror seems identical though.

Hi KonstaT

Thanks for your work

Is it possible to update your build to include latest CAF " August 27, 2014  LNX.LF.3.5.1-06900-8x10.0" & Boot2Gecko ? =)

I've already pointed my sources to that tag and I also made a build of course. It's not something worth releasing though. There's really not much changed compared to the build in the OP. Only thing I noticed was that correct timezone was automatically set during initial setup. I probably won't release anything until I've had time to look into what's wrong with the wifi tethering.

I confirm there's not that much interesting in LNX.LF.3.5.1-06900-8x10.0.

On the 2.1 front, I'm still tinkering to get a viable build.

What do LNX and LF stand for in LNX.LF.3.5.1-06900-8x10.0?

I probably won't release anything until I've had time to look into what's wrong with the wifi tethering.

After poking and patching around, and finding nothing obvious wrong, it turns out that wifi tethering works just fine even on the build on the OP (someone could have told that). That's what you get when you play with development devices and prepaid SIMs that have no data (obviously mobile data needs to be turned on). :P

I also noticed that I have slighly derped the kernel camera drivers so it's a small miracle it even works. I'll probably release a build based on the latest CAF tag soon.

What do LNX and LF stand for in LNX.LF.3.5.1-06900-8x10.0?

You tell me and you'll get a cookie. ;) CAF branching/tagging scheme is confusing to say the least.

One letter should be easy enough to crack. LNX.LF means a Firefox OS release where LNX.LA is an Android release.

3.5 is B-family (msm8610, msm8226, msm8974) KitKat branch. 2.7 is KitKat branch for older platforms (apq8064, msm8930, msm8960). 3.6 and 3.7 are KitKat branches for newer platforms (apq8084, msm8939, msm8916). For Jelly Bean 4.3 it follows similar scheme with smaller numbers (e.g. 3.2 is Jelly Bean for B-family). For older platforms and older Android versions, it's again something completely different.

New build. All major features should be working in this one. Seems like wifi tethering has also always worked. There's still some issues sometimes when turning wifi tethering on/off while wifi is also on. Adding 'ro.moz.wifi.unloaddriver=1' to /system/build.prop seems to help with this (pushed this change to my github but it didn't yet make it into this build).

b2g-20140913-kis3-rls.zip
md5:f9a2fb2916732ab46188067ce133e65b

-updated to the latest CAF tag LNX.LF.3.5.1-06900-8x10.0

Thanks, I just flashed your last build, nothing news visible so far, UMS and EAP-SIM still do not work.

From you experience, how long until caf upgrades to the recently created branch v2.1 of B2G?

Thanks, I just flashed your last build, nothing news visible so far, UMS and EAP-SIM still do not work.

From you experience, how long until caf upgrades to the recently created branch v2.1 of B2G?

Didn't 2.1 just got 'stable'? I think CAF only just recently switched to 2.0 and it's been quite a while since it got 'stable'. If I had to guess, I'd say rather months than weeks.

There really must be something wrong with your computer/OS/USB-port/USB-cable. UMS has worked with everything I've tested it so far. You do have an external SD card on your device? There's also two separate switches in settings you need to toggle to enable USB-storage. ADB and USB-tethering works? What does 'lsusb' say on Linux on your computer after connecting the device?

Didn't 2.1 just got 'stable'? I think CAF only just recently switched to 2.0 and it's been quite a while since it got 'stable'. If I had to guess, I'd say rather months than weeks.

I am not sure what you mean by 'stable', all I can say is that 2.1 has been branched out about a week ago.

It looks like I will have to keep tinkering if I want to have a decent 2.1 build on my phone, as the 2.1 and 2.2 builds (not directly caf based) I've tested from other people do not meet the quality of yours.

I still have a couple of things to try before rushing to you for help. ^_^

There really must be something wrong with your computer/OS/USB-port/USB-cable. UMS has worked with everything I've tested it so far. You do have an external SD card on your device? There's also two separate switches in settings you need to toggle to enable USB-storage. ADB and USB-tethering works? What does 'lsusb' say on Linux on your computer after connecting the device?

I do have an external SD card. ADB works, I haven't tried USB tethering yet and I'll let you know what lsusb says.

I know UMS works for you, but unfortunately it does not for me with your builds and with all the relevant settings turned on ... or off (as a last resort). It does work for other builds i've tried and it does work when mounted from cwm. But I can live with that.

I would really like to have EAP-SIM working though, googling that issue did prove fruitful besides the build.prop setting you suggested which unfortunately did not help. :(

Konstat, I had the same issue after using the windows flasher to change my open c to a kis 3, no ums on your FFOS build

I used the windows flasher to change back to a open c partition layout and no more issues.

lsusb gives

Bus 003 Device 044: ID 19d2:0249 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM

Hmm, 0249 is 'diag,adb' mode. Mine's in 1350 'diag,modem,nmea,mass_storage,adb'. :o That's the mode it should start in.

You could try

su
setprop persist.sys.usb.config diag,modem,nmea,mass_storage,adb
setprop sys.usb.config diag,modem,nmea,mass_storage,adb

in adb shell.

[...] This is not meant for daily use (or any use really), it's just something for advanced users to play with.

Do you mean that stability isn't an absolute concern, or that we genuinely shouldn't use the build daily? Just wanted to be sure.