Mourta-Kernel-3.4 A new beginning [update 2015-03-12]

Guest Mourta

I have one question: I use Tegra Overclock as a GPU overclocker and CPU management. While using this kernel (27/11), when I change CPU governor to 'performance', the frequency gets stuck at 1000 MHz, even switching the min frequency to 1500 MHz. So, I had to get back to Mourta's kernel 3.1 (02/09), which I can switch to 'performance' and get 1700 MHz (but it has a lot of screen off deaths :-/).

Does anyone know why this happens? Thanks!

Edited by Guest

I have one question: I use Tegra Overclock as a GPU overclocker and CPU management. While using this kernel (27/11), when I change CPU governor to 'performance', the frequency gets stuck at 1000 MHz, even switching the min frequency to 1500 MHz. So, I had to get back to Mourta's kernel 3.1 (02/09), which I can switch to 'performance' and get 1700 MHz (but it has a lot of screen off deaths :-/).

Somewhat default questions:

• Cleared cache and dalvik cache after flashing kernel?
  • Rebooted once or twice after flashing?
  • Same problem on other governors, or only on performance?
  • Also tried another kernel app, like the default kernel tweaker in LS?

Edit: Oh, and what rom are you using?

Edited by Decay3

Guest ottomanhero

Same situation here.Despite 100% usage it would never scale to 1.5 ghz AFTER all cores are turned on (it can scale just fine until last core is turned on).Which then causes lags.

Mourta said it was about cpufreq.It should probably be fixed in the next release.I had the bug in interactive/ondemand both and switching minimum to 1.5 ghz did indeed set it to 1 ghz.This bug is rare, not everyone experiences/notices it but it is most notable when freezes occur and even easier if you have a cpu monitoring program.

I experienced this in p880 dev based ROMs, liquidsmooth by mourta and a few ROMs that were based on cm11 nightlies.Sometimes rebooting, waiting for the system to calm down and then locking the screen fixes the bug temporarily but yeah this isn't practical in daily life so 3.1 is a better idea.

Note that 3.1 does not have such issues so it will scale just fine on 1.5 ghz, stick with abyssplug for better battery life.It also has no loss in performance and actually performs better than other governors scaling-wise.

yes

yes

yes

yes, tried trickstermod, kernel tweaker together and seperately and even changing the settings manually, still the same bug

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I'm using Mourta's LS 3.2 (18/09/2014). Kernel Tweaker force closes, but Trickster returns the same bug.

Same situation here.Despite 100% usage it would never scale to 1.5 ghz AFTER all cores are turned on (it can scale just fine until last core is turned on).Which then causes lags.

Mourta said it was about cpufreq.It should probably be fixed in the next release.I had the bug in interactive/ondemand both and switching minimum to 1.5 ghz did indeed set it to 1 ghz.This bug is rare, not everyone experiences/notices it but it is most notable when freezes occur and even easier if you have a cpu monitoring program.

I experienced this in p880 dev based ROMs, liquidsmooth by mourta and a few ROMs that were based on cm11 nightlies.Sometimes rebooting, waiting for the system to calm down and then locking the screen fixes the bug temporarily but yeah this isn't practical in daily life so 3.1 is a better idea.

Note that 3.1 does not have such issues so it will scale just fine on 1.5 ghz, stick with abyssplug for better battery life.It also has no loss in performance and actually performs better than other governors scaling-wise.

yes

yes

yes

yes, tried trickstermod, kernel tweaker together and seperately and even changing the settings manually, still the same bug

I can confirm this. I'm using Moutra's kernel 3.1 for a long time, and when I change to 3.4 I could see, for games, a slightly increase of lags. For normal usage, it's perfect, with no lags. Using Beanstalk or LS with 3.1 kernel runs much better Gameloft games, mainly Asphalt 8. It's the only kernel that has almost no lags with this game. But, 3.1 kernel has a lot of screen off deaths (nothing is perfect...).

Thanks for replying @Decay3 and @ottomanhero!

Guest ottomanhero

@ViniLima seeing you play asphalt and all, I recommend you to turn 3D scaling off.In 3.1 kernels the scaling is buggy, it sometimes works sometimes doesn't but disabling it gives you a good amount of increase in FPS.Remember to turn it off when not gaming though, it's a battery killer when it's on at all times.GPU scaling is fixed and works very fine in 3.4 kernels though

@ViniLima seeing you play asphalt and all, I recommend you to turn 3D scaling off.In 3.1 kernels the scaling is buggy, it sometimes works sometimes doesn't but disabling it gives you a good amount of increase in FPS.Remember to turn it off when not gaming though, it's a battery killer when it's on at all times.GPU scaling is fixed and works very fine in 3.4 kernels though

I'll make some tests. Do you know where's located the file to manually change the GPU scaling? I don't like Trickster (but I must use), Kernel Tweaker doesn't work and Tegra Overclock doesn't have this option. I've taken a look on iodak's thread and I didn't find this option. Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Guest The Fugitive Mind

Hey guys, I just want to ask if Mourta's Kernel is going to be compatible with any Lollipop build out there (AOSPLP to be exact)?

I really liked his kernel, I used it with a bunch of ROMs and was deeply satisfied with its performance but since upgrading to AOSPLP, I haven't been able to boot the ROM with his kernel installed.

Thanks in advance, and more power to you @Mourta and team!

Edited by The Fugitive Mind

Guest Pasquale Lombardi

Hey guys, I just want to ask if Mourta's Kernel is going to be compatible with any Lollipop build out there (AOSPLP to be exact)?

I really liked his kernel, I used it with a bunch of ROMs and was deeply satisfied with its performance but since upgrading to AOSPLP, I haven't been able to boot the ROM with his kernel installed.

Thanks in advance, and more power to you @Mourta and team!

All releases from first to 11-27 version are compatible with all roms except with stock LG that need an edit in anykernel script.

But all these have to be tested with LP, some of that are reported working but may not be fully functional.

Edited by Pasquale Lombardi

Guest The Fugitive Mind

All releases from first to 11-27 version are compatible with all roms except with stock LG that need an edit in anykernel script.

But all these have to be tested with LP, some of that are reported working but may not be fully functional.

Hi, Pasquale. Thanks for replying. I just hope the next version would be compatible with any LP build.

Great, great work you have here. Performance is way better than most of the kernels found elsewhere.

Anyways, thanks again!

- R

Edited by The Fugitive Mind

Guest Pasquale Lombardi

Hi, Pasquale. Thanks for replying. I just hope the next version would be compatible with any LP build.

Great, great work you have here. Performance is way better than most of the kernels found elsewhere.

Anyways, thanks again!

- R

You are very welcome. It's an honor to share such a great work Mourta is doing.

Guest ConnorState

Hi sorry to  say this byt when flashing it on a lollipop ROM it sort of bricks it by freezing the device on the LG screen after installation and during rebooting. The only way to get out of this freeze is to boot into CWM and reflash the ROM with the original kernel. Any reason why this occurs?

Guest Pasquale Lombardi

Hi sorry to say this byt when flashing it on a lollipop ROM it sort of bricks it by freezing the device on the LG screen after installation and during rebooting. The only way to get out of this freeze is to boot into CWM and reflash the ROM with the original kernel. Any reason why this occurs?

I wasn't able to tell what version works with LP and what not, i just heard by someone that 3.1.10 worked and maybe some next.

Guest moneyvirus

I saw quite alot of comments on the bit bucket didnt try it myself to compile it but it looks there is something new for us to see so fingerscrossed

Guest TJHookr

I am eagerly waiting for this commit to make it to a build:
https://bitbucket.org/mourta/mourta-kernel-3.4/commits/801d94d3337d3189c026491ce5da99d00c792e64

I guess the 11-27 release doesn't have it yet. Unfortunately the bugs with the sound prevents me from using this kernel on my daily rom which is a pity because the battery life and performance of this kernel is the best.

Guest SuperLamic

https://bitbucket.org/mourta/mourta-kernel-3.4/commits/801d94d3337d3189c026491ce5da99d00c792e64

I guess the 11-27 release doesn't have it yet. Unfortunately the bugs with the sound prevents me from using this kernel on my daily rom which is a pity because the battery life and performance of this kernel is the best.

I agree, but is re-inserting headphones jack after sleep (or a while? I don't know when it "disconnects") that big problem? I use this kernel with omni and I can live with it. It's much faster than wait for frozen device because of laggy kernel.. (yes I'm talking about CM based kernels)

Bigger problem for me is frequency scaling (I don't think that is normal - when I'm listening to music with poweramp and watching frequency, it powers two cores on 1Ghz). Mourta already said that is bad and it should be solved by tegra updates commits, so I'm waiting eagerly too :) next relese will be epic, I hope new LS (probably Lollipop? I hope so ) will be epic too, because the old one is worse than omni (many apps crashes, death sleep with overheating - device is unable to wake up and it's so hot - it drains battery a lot and OMX crashes - it suddenly stops playing YT)

Anyway it's unbelievable .. our old o4x running so smooth - I was using MMB's Lollipop AOSP for one month and it was horrible when I compere overall smoothness.. (unfortunately I wasn't able to boot up with mourta's kernel.. it stopped on LG boot logo)

Guest TJHookr

I agree, but is re-inserting headphones jack after sleep (or a while? I don't know when it "disconnects") that big problem? I use this kernel with omni and I can live with it. It's much faster than wait for frozen device because of laggy kernel.. (yes I'm talking about CM based kernels)

I had no sound in calls until I plugged in and out the jack sometimes, the same behavior was with the back speaker, also it was very unpleasant when I started to play music in apollo the sound started blasting from the back speaker. So after couple of "silent calls" I went back to a laggy CM based kernel.

Guest TJHookr

It's the rom (LS 15/10) that has this bug. Mourta's kernel with other roms works flawlessly.

I am now using the unofficial p880-dev based cyanogenmod, that had this problem with latest mourta kernel, tried LS 15/10 which also had the bug.

So I tried flashing different kernel versions, the last Iodak based mourta 3.1 was ok, also the first 3.4 that featured no optimalizations mourta-3.4-09-25.zip but after that, the bug was present in all kernels, so I don't think it is a rom problem.

Edited by TJHookr

Guest moneyvirus

Ok i couldn't wait any longer so i tried to compile it myself. It is booting it looks quite good only thing is i cant make my external sd card working probbably it is something mourta told us allready a couple of times i think it has to do with the way the kernel handels everything and my phone doesnt have the right blobs/code anyhow my phone feels smooth and has a decent battery, will test a bit more and hopefully we see some more information from the guys who are working closly with mourta thanks @Mourta @Pasquale Lombardi Edited by moneyvirus