Hudl 2 resources guide.

Guest juhnlel

Guest juhnlel

375f028ba3.png

Introducing Tesco's newest edition of their Hudl tablet, the Hudl 2.

Specifications:

Processor: Intel Atom quad-core @ 1.83GHz
Memory: 2GB
Storage: 16GB (32GB micro SD)
Display: 8.3" 1920x1200 LCD @ 273 ppi
Android version: 4.4.2 (Current)
Height: 8.82 inches 
Width: 5.04 inches
Weight: 410g
Camera(s): 5MP back, 1.2MP front
Battery: 5710 mAh

Rooting:

The current root method for the Hudl 2 was created by Paul O'brien. The steps to rooting must be followed thoroughly, failing to do so will put your device at risk. His thread explaining the root process can be found here: http://www.modaco.com/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/

Custom ROMs, Kernels and Recoveries:

The process of getting Custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, recoveries like TWRP, and advanced Kernels has not been figured out yet as there are complications making the whole method difficult. However as soon as a method is found be sure to check this post as I will update it accordingly with the newest links available at the time, again any steps you have to take must be followed exactly as described. A list of Custom ROMs, Kernels, and Recoveries will be listed below when they become available.

Fastboot/adb drivers:

Having these downloaded and installed would be a smart move for any Hudl 2 owner, as you may find yourself needing them in the future if you would like to hack into your device yourself. You can download them here: http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=adbfastboothudl.zip (Thank you to Paul O'brien)

FAQ:

Q: Will the Hudl 2 get Lollipop (Android 5.0) ?
A: It is very un-likely that the Hudl 2 will receive Lollipop due to Tesco's literal lack of interest that we saw from the previous Hudl last year, maybe they learned from their mistakes? Only time will tell.

Q: What is a "Custom ROM" ? 
A: In the world of Android, a custom ROM is an alteration of the Android Operating system that has been created with the intentions of making the device it is made for faster, custom ROMs can also offer features that the stock version of Android doesn't offer, like native overclocking and root access.

Q: What is a recovery?
A: Recoveries like Clockwork Recovery (CWM) and Team Win Recovery (TWRP) are made to replace a devices stock recovery method set in place by it's manufacturer. The stock recoveries are very limited in what they can do and are often only used for updating the version of Android on said devices, custom recoveries allow the wiping of cache, dalvik cache, factory resetting the device, flashing custom ROMs, and even backing up the current Operating System in case anything goes wrong, they're like safety nets for all custom ROM/Root users.

Q: What is "root access?"
A: Root essentially means that you have root (or superuser) access to the file system on Android. It is similar to being “administrator” on a Windows PC. It has nothing to do with your device or the bootloader, it has to do with the Android OS

Benchmarks:

Gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/Qm7y8

- thanks to CosmicSpacehead -

Special thanks:

Paul O'brien - Rooting the Hudl 2

Tesco - Creating the Hudl 2

-list to be updated.-

Edited by juhnlel

• 3 weeks later...
Guest juhnlel

~Thread Update~

Hello all, I just picked up my Hudl 2 so now I can contribute atleast something to the MoDaCo website! Will be updating original thread with benchmark scores and guides to complete 'de-tesco' the Hudl and make it seem like an 8 inch Nexus 7! 

See you all soon! :)

Guest state-it

Q: Will the Hudl 2 get Lollipop (Android 5.0) ?

A: It is very likely that the Hudl 2 will receive Lollipop because the specs of the tablet can definitely support it, but no dates have been given yet.

I don't quite see that myself.I think it would be very lucky to get to 4.4.4

How far in a year did the HUDL1 get on it's update path?

Guest juhnlel

I don't quite see that myself.I think it would be very lucky to get to 4.4.4

How far in a year did the HUDL1 get on it's update path?

If we can generate enough hype and excitement for Lollipop on the Hudl 2 then I'm sure Tesco will get it out for us, or maybe a custom ROM developer could port over a build of AOSP Lollipop for us, but either way, it's all still possible.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CosmicSpacehead

I got my Hudl 2 and did a bench on antutu 5.3.

Does quite well for such a cheap tablet!

It does have a few app compatibility issues though. Sonic 4 ep 1 has severe graphical glitches and xcom is just incompatible.

post-1050482-0-42552800-1417633375_thumb

post-1050482-0-04815700-1417633398_thumb

post-1050482-0-97623800-1417633435_thumb

post-1050482-0-33300000-1417633459_thumb

Guest seanspotatobusiness

A single benchmark doesn't say that much about a device. The OnePlus One has poor flash memory speed (as well as other weak attributes) which is a very important factor in real-world user experience.

Also, Tesco isn't gonna release Lollipop for the Hudl2. Writing that it's very likely in the FAQ doesn't make it come true. I appreciate the small collection of potentially useful information but this part is misleading. Even a custom ROM might not be possible due to the locked/encrypted bootloader (or whatever the problem is).

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

• 4 months later...
Guest LukehScotney

Great thread! I picked up my Hudl today, the device is nice, except the many many Tesco apps reminds me of when I use to buy computers from PC world and had to suffer with loads of pre-installed crap!

Using the thread you provided I have managed to root my device successfully! However I must warn it does not work for Windows 8\8.1 not sure why but when checking the device manager I saw there was a yellow error icon and even though the device can be managed in windows explorer the CMD would say device not recognised. So I did this on my Mac instead and it worked like a charm!

For those without another non-windows 8(.1) device id recommend creating a small partition on your HDD and installing Linux or an older windows and following their respective instructions

Shame there's no secure ROMs yet :-( I'll keep an eye out here!

Guest mrrog

As we know, nature abhors a vacumn, and can feel myself being sucked into the glossywhite role, so my question is:-

what is the point of this thread?

Using the thread you provided I have managed to root my device successfully! However I must warn it does not work for Windows 8\8.1 not sure why but when checking the device manager I saw there was a yellow error icon and even though the device can be managed in windows explorer the CMD would say device not recognised. So I did this on my Mac instead and it worked like a charm!

For those without another non-windows 8(.1) device id recommend creating a small partition on your HDD and installing Linux or an older windows and following their respective instructions

It works perfectly fine on Windows 8.1, I have rooted 2 Hudl 2 using Windows 8.1.

@juhnlel

The process of getting Custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, recoveries like TWRP, and advanced Kernels has not been figured out yet as there are complications making the whole method difficult

You can use CWM recovery over adb with the Hudl 2, you just can't install it as the recovery.img of the device.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/374435-this-will-definitely-come-in-useful/

@mrrog, that made me laugh !

Edited by 4L0M

As we know, nature abhors a vacumn, and can feel myself being sucked into the glossywhite role, so my question is:-

what is the point of this thread?

Priceless.

• 1 month later...
Guest Daniel_Twigg

It works perfectly fine on Windows 8.1, I have rooted 2 Hudl 2 using Windows 8.1.

@juhnlel

The process of getting Custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, recoveries like TWRP, and advanced Kernels has not been figured out yet as there are complications making the whole method difficult

You can use CWM recovery over adb with the Hudl 2, you just can't install it as the recovery.img of the device.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/374435-this-will-definitely-come-in-useful/

@mrrog, that made me laugh !

Is there a guide for doing it on Windows? My laptop is Win8.1, also it already has USB drives installed for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 so I hope it won't conflict...