[DEV][ROM][4.11.] CAF Android for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Android 4.4.2)

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
This is my build of CAF Android for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Beeline Smart2, Moche/MEO Smart A16, ZTE V811W, ZTE V811, Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, ZTE Blade M, etc). It's for advanced users only.

This build is based on the same CAF release LNX.LA.3.5.1-00710-8x10.0 that ZTE initially started off with their stock firmware.

Important. Prerequisites!!! You need to install Android KitKat on your Open C first (e.g. EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip will do). You also need to have this ClockWorkMod recovery installed (TWRP seems to have some issues with CAF otapackages :o).

Screenshot_2014-10-24-18-13-31.png Screenshot_2014-10-24-18-22-26.png

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this page instead.

caf-20141104-kis3.zip
md5:0b05a7c3a03e344e26a007d73fb7711f

caf-kis3-stock-kernel.zip (kernel and wifi drivers from EE_UK_P821E10V1.0.0B06 - for devices with GT960F touchscreen)
md5:32c116d1a7496ce0cc1a9113c405e1c9

Google Apps:

Root:

Working:
  • RIL (mobile network, SMS & data) - dual-SIM (V811W)
  • Wifi
  • Audio (playback/input/routing/headphones/etc)
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera (photos, camcorder & panorama)
  • FM radio
  • GPS
  • Hardware acceleration and OpenGL rendering
  • Hardware video decoding & encoding
  • SD card (only external)
  • USB-storage (MTP - no UMS) & adb
  • USB-tethering
  • Wifi-tethering
  • Touchscreen/multi-touch
  • Sensors
  • LEDs
Not working:
  • ???
Issues:
  • Generally unpolished - recommended to use third party launcher and camera apps

Important!!! If you’re using my open sourced work as a part of your project, be fair and give proper credits, and contribute back by keeping your project open source as well. I've put countless hours of my spare time into this project and I deserve at least this (I'm not getting paid to do this). Free and open source doesn't mean without respect!

Sources:
  • CAF
Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
4.11. changelog:
  • don't automatically enable dual-SIM according to hwversion
  • update bluetooth configuration
  • fix layouts in notification area and dual-SIM keyguard screen
25.10. changelog:
  • initial release
  • LNX.LA.3.5.1-00710-8x10.0

Guest KonstaT

Work on my dual sim V811W  :)

how to enable "USB-storage (MTP - no UMS)" ?

Just plug-in USB cable and it automatically connects in MTP mode. Works fine for me on Linux but I never tested it on Windows (tested, works fine on Windows 7 too). There used to be a storage setting to switch between MTP and PTP but it somehow disappeared when I removed support for internal sdcard. There is no native UMS support in AOSP since ICS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT
New build. I think this project is going on hold for now. Need to clear up some space on my HDD for new sources. Dual-SIM (V811W) users will have to manually add a line (persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds) to /system/build.prop to enable dual-SIM features.

caf-20141104-kis3.zip
md5:0b05a7c3a03e344e26a007d73fb7711f

-don't automatically enable dual-SIM according to hwversion
-update bluetooth configuration
-fix layouts in notification area and dual-SIM keyguard screen

• 1 month later...
Guest xeroxman

Hi , I think that this is one of the best Rom's for ZTE Open C , but there is one moment , I can't understand - how to add support for internal sdcard back. Could you help?

Guest KonstaT

Hi , I think that this is one of the best Rom's for ZTE Open C , but there is one moment , I can't understand - how to add support for internal sdcard back. Could you help?

Open C and Kis 3 have different partition layouts and internal sdcard is handled differently between these layouts. Open C has a separate physical eMMC partition for internal sdcard while Kis 3 emulates internal sdcard on data partition (/data/media). Both ways can't be handled on a single build and I can't force people to switch to one of the two layouts by using a Windows-flasher. That's the main reason internal sdcard is not supported on any of my ROMs. Emulating sdcard on such small /data partition (~1 or ~2 gb dependending on the layout) is far from optimal anyway as emulated sdcard can only be set as primary storage. This causes issues with apps/games that store large amounts of data on primary sdcard.

To add support you'd need to build the ROM from source. Dexompiling/recompiling the framework and splitting the boot.img to modify kernel ramdisk is also possible but not recommended as there are better methods available (=building from source). Sdcards are configured exactly like on any other device. On Open C layout it would be 'physical primary, physical secondary' combo while on Kis 3 layout 'emulated primary, physical secondary'.

Guest xeroxman

Open C and Kis 3 have different partition layouts and internal sdcard is handled differently between these layouts. Open C has a separate physical eMMC partition for internal sdcard while Kis 3 emulates internal sdcard on data partition (/data/media). Both ways can't be handled on a single build and I can't force people to switch to one of the two layouts by using a Windows-flasher. That's the main reason internal sdcard is not supported on any of my ROMs. Emulating sdcard on such small /data partition (~1 or ~2 gb dependending on the layout) is far from optimal anyway as emulated sdcard can only be set as primary storage. This causes issues with apps/games that store large amounts of data on primary sdcard.

To add support you'd need to build the ROM from source. Dexompiling/recompiling the framework and splitting the boot.img to modify kernel ramdisk is also possible but not recommended as there are better methods available (=building from source). Sdcards are configured exactly like on any other device. On Open C layout it would be 'physical primary, physical secondary' combo while on Kis 3 layout 'emulated primary, physical secondary'.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest hecatae

Hi KonstaT,

CodeAurora released the following on the 8th January 2015:

January 08, 2015 	 LNX.LA.3.5.1-09810-8x10.0 	 msm8610 	LNX.LA.3.5.1-09810-8x10.0.xml	 04.04.04 

would it be possible to see if a 4.4.4 CAF build could be made?

edit: by the time you have read this I will have synced this repository

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT,

CodeAurora released the following on the 8th January 2015:

January 08, 2015 	 LNX.LA.3.5.1-09810-8x10.0 	 msm8610 	LNX.LA.3.5.1-09810-8x10.0.xml	 04.04.04 

would it be possible to see if a 4.4.4 CAF build could be made?

edit: by the time you have read this I will have synced this repository

I started off with the same tag as ZTE for a reason. It should result in the best, most stable and least 'hacked together' result. Kernel, proprietary binaries pulled from the stock firmware and userspace HALs built from the Android source are in-line because all are initially based on this very same tag. You could go for newer tags but it would likely also mean merging the kernel with a newer tag, pulling some newer blobs from somewhere (where?), and/or reverting ramdisk/HAL/etc changes if/when you're stuck with older blobs for whatever reason. Otherwise the outcome might not be what you'd expect.

What does 4.4.4 really have over 4.4.2 (besides bigger version number of course :P)? Since it would be equally possible to build a CAF 5.0.2 Android for this device, I don't see the point in going for newer KitKat tags. I don't currently have these sources on my machine and I have no plans in continuing this project at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Kévin Heydens

Hi KonstaT, i am a newbie :blush: and french :( , I don't understand your link https://source.android.com/devices/storage/config-example.html and google translate is no enough to help me in this technic way.

I think that use external SD card is great but I meet some mistake like "Median tallennustila on pysähtynyt", how can I fix it ?

I make wipe dalvik but it's the same error and I am afraid to do big mistake if I change system.build without another help (in french or simply english).

Thank you very much and I hope that CAF Android 5.x.x will be arrived  it will be fun but this rom 4.4.2 without the problem is very great ! Thanl also to add superuser :D

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT, i am a newbie :blush: and french :( , I don't understand your link https://source.android.com/devices/storage/config-example.html and google translate is no enough to help me in this technic way.

I think that use external SD card is great but I meet some mistake like "Median tallennustila on pysähtynyt", how can I fix it ?

I make wipe dalvik but it's the same error and I am afraid to do big mistake if I change system.build without another help (in french or simply english).

Thank you very much and I hope that CAF Android 5.x.x will be arrived  it will be fun but this rom 4.4.2 without the problem is very great ! Thanl also to add superuser :D

Not sure what's the problem here. If you have something crashing, post a logcat. That'll tell exactly what's happening.

I don't have sources for this ROM (or any other CAF Android release) at the moment and no plans on continuing this project.

Guest Kévin Heydens

Thanks you to your answer, I leave Android 4.4.2 and install your rom CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1), she is nice also, little more slow and use battery but you still follow this project.

• 2 months later...
Guest ToniBl4ck

hi, i want to this this rom, but got error while I try flash it, I have try with both cwm and twrp, but still got error message status 7 installation aborted, could anyone help me please, I'm using V811W