How hot does your hudl 2 get?

Guest KarlyJ

Hey, I'm currently on my second hudl 2 as the first one had a few issues. The replacement seems better in every respect except one. I find it heats up a lot at the camera end after playing games for about half an hour. I don't remember the first tablet getting this hot. Gsam battery monitor reports that I reached a toasty 38 Celsius last night. It's not just the back that heats up, but the screen itself too.

Is this normal for this particular tablet, or is mine running especially hot?

Thanks.

Funny enough I just logged in to ask same question as no one previously seems to reporting it. But yes mine is getting really hot and playing a game having Hudl 2 connected to the charger always resulting in the "throttling brightness due to thermal event" message which causing a huge permormance drop as a result of lowering the GPU freq. I consider ruturing Hudl now, quite annoying problem.

I have also noticed the lowest the cpu idles at is 480Mhz shame we can not lower the clock values.  I have never had the thermal warning though and I have had mine going with 2 movies and a bit of gaming.

Guest Desolutional

Do NOT run intensive tasks whilst the battery is charging to 100%, as this places unnecessarily high load on the charger, resulting in overheating of the battery and/or charger. The atom can suck quite a bit of power at max TDP, so make sure the battery is charged up to 100% before running intensive tasks with the charger plugged in. This is exactly the same as a gaming laptop, if one pushes the CPU and GPU too hard whilst the battery is charging, both the battery and PSU get extremely hot.

Don't worry about the battery as that is rated to last up to 60°C, just make sure you aren't running F@H or pushing 100% utilisation on the Hudl 2 when charging it (especially below 80%). The atom is a pretty damn powerful bit of kit, but it isn't optimised anywhere near to the level of the ARMs (which is stupid, cause it is theoretically more powerful), and hence uses a lot more power to run even the simplest of tasks. Don't get me started on JIT binary translation.

Edited by Desolutional

@Desolutional: overheating is clearly a design flaw hence I don't see a reason to limit my usage during the charging time - you suggestions are correct if you HAVE to keep the device and nothing else is available on the market, if that is not the case - simple return seems to be much better option.

Edited by m4dm3n

Guest Desolutional

@Desolutional: overheating is clearly a design flaw hence I don't see a reason to limit my usage during the charging time - you suggestions are correct if you HAVE to keep the device and nothing else is available on the market, if that is not the case - simple return seems to be much better option.

Yeah that's true, but the laws of physics still apply to tablets. You can't magic away the heat which is generated during "work" which is any part of the tablet being powered up. They decided to pipe the heat away to the camera and near the usb port (I think), however that heat should not be too much to handle, even at max load. If it is, buy a case, as the electric components can survive a lot more heat than our human hands, so don't worry about overheating. My battery advice still stands though.

However, if you are getting error messages then I think it is probably time to do a return and swap as you may just have a faulty unit. Best to err on the side of caution.

Edited by Desolutional

Yeah that's true, but the laws of physics still apply to tablets. You can't magic away the heat which is generated during "work" which is any part of the tablet being powered up. They decided to pipe the heat away to the camera and near the usb port (I think), however that heat should not be too much to handle, even at max load. If it is, buy a case, as the electric components can survive a lot more heat than our human hands, so don't worry about overheating. My battery advice still stands though.

However, if you are getting error messages then I think it is probably time to do a return and swap as you may just have a faulty unit. Best to err on the side of caution.

No of course you can not magic away anything, but if other manufacturers can control o/h problem using same chip - Tesco should be able to do the same, not to mention running detailed FMEA process before lunching the product to the mass market. I'm willing to give Hudl 2 benefit of the doubt as except of reporting the unit being hot no one else so far had similar error msgs as I'm experiencing so defective unit seems to be plausible explanation. 

Guest Desolutional

No of course you can not magic away anything, but if other manufacturers can control o/h problem using same chip - Tesco should be able to do the same, not to mention running detailed FMEA process before lunching the product to the mass market. I'm willing to give Hudl 2 benefit of the doubt as except of reporting the unit being hot no one else so far had similar error msgs as I'm experiencing so defective unit seems to be plausible explanation. 

I'm hitting max CPU temps of around 70°C under full load, and that doesn't feel too hot to the touch, even without a case, so I believe your case is most likely a faulty device which needs to be RMA'd ASAP.

I'm hitting max CPU temps of around 70°C under full load, and that doesn't feel too hot to the touch, even without a case, so I believe your case is most likely a faulty device which needs to be RMA'd ASAP.

Probably you are right, also http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-s8-50-android-4-4-8-1080p-quad-core-intel-tablet-129-99-with-code-currys-2037299 looks like a good alternative tablet @similar price.

Edited by m4dm3n

Guest Desolutional

That's a great tablet for the money! The only reason I bought the Hudl 2 was cause of my clubcard vouchers which brought the price down to £65, and the HDMI. If CC vouchers aren't a factor, definitely go for the lenovo as spec wise it looks equal if not better to the Hudl 2; the only thing it's lacking is a HDMI port, but you can use Chromecast or DLNA to fix that, :)

Guest Mark_He

I have a LG G3, which routinely runs at these sorts of temps, and has thermal throttling controls that kick in. With a case it isn't noticeable in the hand though.

The more powerful a processor you pack in while wanting as slim a firm factor as you can, the hotter it's going to get. Which is a lengthy way of saying: it's pure physics, what do you expect?

Guest abulkasam

I'm on my second Hudl and both get very hot. There is a CPU temp app which was saying 50C. I used a heat sensor gun which measured 35-39. This is only near the top just below the camera. Presumably that is where the CPU sits. Might have to use a case to save my hands from burningburni especially in landscape mode!

Guest Desolutional

I'm on my second Hudl and both get very hot. There is a CPU temp app which was saying 50C. I used a heat sensor gun which measured 35-39. This is only near the top just below the camera. Presumably that is where the CPU sits. Might have to use a case to save my hands from burningburni especially in landscape mode!

Maybe you've just got very sensitive skin, :P. I'd definitely suggest using a case as the components can last a lot longer at high temperatures than your hands.