[SCRIPTS][UPDATED!]Personal collection of tweaks[V2]

Guest ottomanhero

Guest ottomanhero

NEW VERSION AVALIABLE IN XDA.May update this post later on but for now http://forum.xda-developers.com/optimus-4x-hd/development/tweaks-personal-collection-scripts-t2937573 
New version got more scripts, values tweaked better and bravia engine 3, sony clear audio, build.prop tweaks which are flashable (does not replace your build.prop, instead changes already existent values and adds new lines)

Looking for ways to improve my phone, I came up with the idea of playing around with kernel variables/sysctl and I've found the best values for our phone with some help from the internet.So this is not your average 'universal' script.It has values all tweaked best for our phone.

This script aims to keep your phone clean from temp files, increase general responsiveness and improve how phone performs under heavy load (hence improving heavy gaming performance)

I made these scripts primarily for mourta kernel 3.4 (thanks for your awesome work!) but feel free to experiment in other kernels.As long as they have cpuquiet, interactive and deadline it should do it's job.

This flashable contains 3 init.d scripts.
Sysctl tweaks 
Performance:

• Focused on improving heavy gaming performance.They mainly aim to reduce the lags under heavy load.

• While it will barely effect your benchmarks (most noticeable in quadrant) it will reduce stuttering and make the games more responsive overall.

Battery Life :

• While it's meant to increase gaming performance, these settings don't directly make your battery worse except a few which are removed in the battery friendly version.

Governor, I/O, cpuquiet settings 
Performance:

• İnteractive gov., deadline I/O scheduler and balanced cpuquiet gov. (all have customized settings)

• Softer KSM : Less scans compared to default, puts less load on CPU.

• Again, focused on improving heavy gaming performance.

• Cores are quick to both turn off and on, hence not much of a loss in battery life while improving general responsiveness.

• Cores don't scale down as easily while under 70% - 100% load hence removing some lags caused by governors sometimes scaling down in middle of a racing game, resulting in lag spikes.

• UI is smoother, apps load noticeably faster

• Filesystem trimming : This is like defragmenting your HDD.While it's completly different, it's effects are similiar.You don't trim, performance goes down.  (was supposedly fixed in android 4.3.x but I still get some lags which are fixed only by trimming.Last time I trimmed 98% of the empty space was trimmed.)

Battery Life:

• The I/O scheduler should give no issues with battery life.However, CPU governor plays a key role in managing battery life so it's not included in the battery friendly version.

Cleanup script

• This script deletes logs, temporary files and app caches every boot.In long term it's very useful as you can have countless of logs, temp files laying around eating up your space.

Download Links :
Gaming Version (good for gamers)

Normal Version (Increase in performance with barely any loss of battery life)
You are free to distribute these scripts as long as you give credit.

Installation instructions :
Flash either one of the files and boot.

Note for people who are using mourta's liquidsmooth 3.2 :

•  While changing I/O scheduler using this script, deadline gets overwritten by row.To prevent this, simply go to settings > liquidsmooth > performance and set the scheduler to deadilne and tick it to make it persist between boots.

• You may also want to tune scheduler variables using same procedure above incase overwrite breaks it. (read_expire=700, fifo_batch=16)

Uninstallation instructions : 
Use any root explorer to browse to /system/etc/init.d
Delete the three files "ZZ99Sysctl, ZZ99Tweaks, ZZ99Cleanup"

Any issues on flashing, incorrect permissions are fixed.

68c41439b6.png
   Benchmark on Mourta's Liquidsmooth 3.2 with kernel 3.4.These settings applied, interactive governor, deadline I/O scheduler and around 150 user apps installed, on ART.(Never had I/O performance this high.)

Edited by ottomanhero

Guest ottomanhero

I flashed it and nothing in etc/init.d so i did it manualy. Btw.what permissions should i set?

rwxr-xr-x or as it is: rw-rw-rw-?

I've uploaded a new zip that is fixed, tested it and flashing works.

As for permissions, rwx rwx rw should do

Thanks for the comments all  :)

Hi

i downloaded and your scripts and see one big difference in your ZZ99Tweaks:

In Batterie-script your changed permissions for folders like this:

chmod 777 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq*

On Gamig itś like this:

chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq*

So on Gaming scripts itś not possible for me to use all parts from >>Settings>Liquid>performance. I think it depends on false permissions.

Can you check it please?

Thanks

Guest ottomanhero

Hi

i downloaded and your scripts and see one big difference in your ZZ99Tweaks:

In Batterie-script your changed permissions for folders like this:

chmod 777 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq*

On Gamig itś like this:

chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq*

So on Gaming scripts itś not possible for me to use all parts from >>Settings>Liquid>performance. I think it depends on false permissions.

Can you check it please?

Thanks

Link updated with fixed chmods, thanks for the heads up  :)

Script still worked with 666 btw, it just wouldn't let you change settings using kernel tweaker

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, the proper permissions for bootup scripts is 755 (rwx-rx-rx).

This way root can write to them but no one else and you really want it to work that way.

Good work ottomanhero. :)

Thanks, I'll update it when I have the time but it works like this anyway

Yeah, as long as it's executable it will work.

It's mainly for security reasons, if someone writes a malicious script to change it then it would be run at bootup with root privileges, essentially giving anyone root access to your phone without your permission.

Looking at the updater-script it seems you have fixed it now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ottomanhero

Any improvements?

Sorry I have been busy with exams lately.I'll be updating the scripts after next week.I'll put in some sysctl values and perhaps some changes on CPU adjustables and I might pour more scripts in if I'll have the time to test them first.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ottomanhero

UPDATED TO V2.
As it's difficult to maintain the same thread on 2 different forums (it's not as easy as copy pasting over, there are incompatible things between the two froums) this thread will be maintained in XDA.I may however updated it if I have the time later on. 
http://forum.xda-developers.com/optimus-4x-hd/development/tweaks-personal-collection-scripts-t2937573