Thinking of buying a Hudl 2 - could you answer a few questions?

Guest FlexiPack

Guest FlexiPack

Hi all,

I've got 24 hours in which to use my Clubcard vouchers. I'm thinking of buying a Hudl 2 but I've a few questions/concerns.

First off, what's the front facing camera like for Skyping? I'm not interested in taking photos with it and I don't expect the quality to be great, mainly I want to know is it viewable in dimly lit rooms? (i.e lit only by a lamp).

Secondly, this charging issue. Does everyone have it? I hear an update is coming early January that's supposed to fix it, but you can never guarantee these things can you.

Lastly, I like to root and use custom roms. I've read about the custom bootloader issues and so for now, no custom roms but for those who are rooted.. Any Xposed users? Does it work ok?

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!  :D

P.S If I don't go for the Hudl 2, any recommendations for an alternative that's currently available on Tesco?

Guest JamieH02

Personally I've not experienced the charging issues, Not to my knowledge anyway.

Xposed works great but obviously be a little careful as No proper recovery like TWRP or CWM.

If anything goes wrong, I believe you can just flash the rooted image over it but This isn't tested by me so no guarantee.

Despite the Intel processor it runs better than expected! Depending on usage, battery can be OK.

As for camera, I can't answer sorry. Mine is used for media consumption for most the time.

Edited by JamieH02

The front facing camera seems to be of reasonable quality and similar to my Nexus 7 (2013) so it should be OK for Skype.

I am not seeing the charging issues that others have described.  I use a variety of BlackBerry chargers and a 2 amp Samsung charger.  I think the displayed battery meter needs a software recalibration which will resolve most complaints that I have read.

I have not yet rooted mine.  I'm waiting for the expected software update before I root it.  For now I have changed the launcher to Google Now and disabled most of the Tesco apps so it looks like vanilla Android.  My gut feeling is that the version of Android installed could be tweaked to improve battery life but this is going to be difficult given that Tesco have locked down the device.

I have found it to have a good build quality with an excellent screen.  It is excellent value for money and made even more so with Tesco club points.

Guest Thomas49

If you can live with the bugs reported and trust that they will be resolved in the next update! I believe the common bugs are:

Battery Charge - numerous different solutions that work for some

WiFi Connection Problems - Switch unit off and on again cures the problem for me

My Tesco Launcher resets itself - Use other Launcher, Go Launcher works for me.

Time errors - just happened to mine, switch unit off then on again.

My unit is not rooted and I have not used it for Skype so I can't make any further comment on the device except that it a solid built device.

Edited by Thomas49