Dolby Equalizer removed in Hudl2 update?

Guest ampoliros

Guest ampoliros

As title, since updating to the recent Hudl2 it seems the Dolby Equalizer / Virtualizer has been removed? It is still possible to choose between a couple of presets by going Settings -> Sound, but previously there was a full graphic equalizer.

The option to launch the Equalizer also disappeared from Spotify - and that option only returned when I installed a 3rd party eq from Play Store.

Anyone know whats going on?

I really liked the old EQ.

Guest ampoliros

Apologies for duplicating discussion.

Shame that the removal is confirmed. I'm left feeling rather short-changed, Tesco have removed one of my favourite features of their tablet without any explanation (or indeed, notice).

Guest glossywhite

This looks distinctly like a case of "Not fit for purpose" or "Significantly not as described", considering Dolby sound is clearly labelled as a feature, and is now absent.

post-625969-0-28057600-1422148850_thumb.

Guest r00tmydevices

Just a thought...

If this feature was originally included then subsequently taken away with the latest update, perhaps it will be brought back in the next or a future update especially as it's promoted as a feature of this device.

Wishful thinking anyway!

Might be an idea for all those who miss this feature to drop the support team a few lines? Failing that, start an online petition for it to be added in the next OTA update. There must be a reason why it has been removed? Affecting other apps or battery life perhaps?

Guest MrMatthews98

There was two Dolby apps in the Application Manager before, but now there is only one.

Perhaps someone who hasn't applied the update could use an APK backup tool from the Play Store to get a copy so we could install it again on the new version. Hell, we could take it from an old version of the stock firmware if anyone has it.

EDIT: Scrap that - here. That's a Google Drive link to the Dolby Equalizer app (DsUI.apk) taken from the last version of the Tesco firmware before this. Install it and it will work just as before! :)

Edited by MrMatthews98

Guest ampoliros

Thanks for your efforts MrMatthew98, although I'm afraid to say I didn't install it after reading the permissions that the APK needed.

Until someone more knowledgeable than myself has torn the APK apart, I'm going to leave it alone for the time being.

No offence intended,  I'm fairly paranoid.

Guest state-it

EDIT: Scrap that - here. That's a Google Drive link to the Dolby Equalizer app (DsUI.apk) taken from the last version of the Tesco firmware before this. Install it and it will work just as before! :)

If this is the manifest for DsUI.apk:

https://github.com/rockzill/ZTE-RedBull-Nubia-v2.5/blob/master/Russian/main/DsUI.apk/AndroidManifest.xml

Then there doesn't seem to be anything sinister with the permissions needed.

(Not sure it's the same DsUI.apk, but I reckon it is)

[edit] I take it you don't use any Google apps or Facebook  if you're wary of permissions ;) [/edit]

[EDIT2] I think the DSui.apk I've linked to is different to the HUDL one [/EDIT2]

Edited by state-it

Guest MrMatthews98

Thanks for your efforts MrMatthew98, although I'm afraid to say I didn't install it after reading the permissions that the APK needed.

Until someone more knowledgeable than myself has torn the APK apart, I'm going to leave it alone for the time being.

No offence intended,  I'm fairly paranoid.

I pulled it straight from Pauls rooted image of the last build - obviously the APKs themselves aren't rooted so its literally stock. Still, fair enough. Each to their own. XD

Does it re-integrate with Google Play Music then?

That was one of the best parts of this wee tablet and the fact it is now gone is curaaazy. 

:/

J

Guest r00tmydevices

Just for clarification are we saying that it's safe to re-install Dolby Equaliser from above Google drive link for those that wish to have its full functionality as per pre-Jan OTA updates?

Thanks.

Guest MrMatthews98

You don't have to take my word for it (and I understand if you don't because I posted the link) but I took this straight from Paul's image in the root thread which most people have already flashed without issue. It will integrate exactly the same as before the update and it doesn't require root. As far as I am aware myself it is safe. It is straight from Tesco themselves, after all (well, after being added to the image by Paul).

Hope this clears everything up! :)

Guest PaulOBrien

I pulled it straight from Pauls rooted image of the last build - obviously the APKs themselves aren't rooted so its literally stock. Still, fair enough. Each to their own. XD

So the APK is just gone in the new build? :o

P

Hi there, I've never "installed" an apk, but I'm most definitely going to try later when I'm at home. Is it just a matter of downloading the file to the HUDL2 somewhere (anywhere in particular?) and just clicking it? Then it runs just like an .exe file would in Windows. Sorry for the n00b question.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Hi there, I've never "installed" an apk, but I'm most definitely going to try later when I'm at home. Is it just a matter of downloading the file to the HUDL2 somewhere (anywhere in particular?) and just clicking it? Then it runs just like an .exe file would in Windows. Sorry for the n00b question.

Thanks so much for posting this.

You need to allow "install from external sources" in security settings buddy

A

Guest MrMatthews98

So the APK is just gone in the new build? :o

P

As far as I am aware. It installed without asking to upgrade it or anything so I guess so. This one works just fine though! :)

Guest r00tmydevices

Just tried to install this from the link MrMatthews98 posted. Clicked download on Google Drive screen. Think it installed okay? Went into sound settings afterwards but only have the three different presets as before. Rebooted and still no change. Can't see an actual setting for 'install from external sources' but I do have a check under 'Unknown Sources', thought that was basically the same thing?

Anyone able to help please?

Thanks.

I still only have the same 3 options under 'Sound' in the settings area, but when I go into Google Play Music or Spotify and then settings, you get an option to open the equaliser....which was the bit that disappeared for me.