Outlook rules

Guest HelloDave

Guest HelloDave

OK, I'm sure quite a lot of people on this forum know a lot more about Outlook and Exchange server than I do, so i've got a question for you! I have Outlook running most of the time on my desktop PC, which picks up e-mail from my uni exchange server, but I also want access to that e-mail on the move. At the moment i've set up an outlook rule which copies all downloaded e-mail back to another folder on the server (it is deleted from my inbox when it is downloaded) so I can view it from Outlook Web Access (and that rule works). The problem is that OWA uses frames and so there is no way with version 5.5 of Exchange to get to my e-mail on the SPV via the web. I could access it via IMAP, but i've already got a POP mail account on my SPV.

My plan was to set up a rule in Outlook to forward all recieved messages to my SPV e-mail address, which would solve my problem, but it doesn't seem to work! I set up the rule as "When e-mail arrives forward it to SPV address unless it's over 500Kb" and sure enough, when e-mail arrives the forward gets copied to my sent items folder, with the correct destination address, but my SPV account never recieves the e-mail! I can send e-mail to it manually no problem, just not using rules. I had another rule, which sent out my computer's IP address (useful for VNC!) as a reply to a message with a specific subject, and that doesn't work either. Changing the destination e-mail address makes no difference. One thing I did think of was that Outlook 2000 doesn't seem to make a distinction between rules on the client and server, but i've stopped it syncing them now, and told it to keep the client rules, not the server ones, but it hasn't helped. The only other idea I can think of is that the server is trying to match my [email protected] forward address with an address in its address book, such as B.Smith and so failing, but surely if this was the case all messages to that address would fail, whether sent manually or by a rule?

Anyone got any ideas? It's really bugging me now :) Why would a message appear in my sent box and never reach its destination? It's bizzare - I can only assume it's a server issue, but I can't see how.

Thanks!

So if I understand correctly - it would work if you send it manually, right? And the items get to the 'Sent folder' or (is it 'Outbox'?)- so the rule generally works. Now this may sound simple/stupid, but have you got 'Immediately send messages' turned on in Send/Receive options on PC Outlook?? And when you hit Send/Receive after the rule sent messages to 'Sent Items'/'Outbox'? Or do they actually appear to be sent off, but you can never receive them? Or am I just being stupid and losing the whole point here?

Guest ClintEastman

Madukrainian, Once it hits the sent folder it has sent it....

Try setting the rule to forward to a different account and see if it gets to that address, then post the results.

:wink:

Guest HelloDave
Try setting the rule to forward to a different account and see if it gets to that address, then post the results.

Nope, still no joy :) Sending e-mail works manually, just not with rules, even though the messages get as far as "Sent Items". That's why I thought maybe it was trying to use rules on the server, not my local machine, in which case how do I force it to use local rules?

Guest ClintEastman

If it doesn’t forward to any address I would say it’s more likely that your Outlook (Outlook 2000?) has been corrupted some way, make sure you have all the service packs on, also check the Microsoft Knowledge Base and see if it’s a known problem. You could also add a mail account to Outlook that isn’t on your uni Exchange Server and forward though that account, if that fails then we know that is Outlook that’s the problem. If that’s the case remove it and reinstall, or upgrade to a more reliable Office (there’s a reason that there are so many updates for it!). Outlook 2003 is VERY nice!:wink:

Hope this helps :wink:

Chris

Guest HelloDave
could also add a mail account to Outlook that isn’t on your uni Exchange Server and forward though that account

How do you get Outlook to use multiple accounts? I've tried but it doesn't seem to give you much of a choice which one to use. You can prioritise accounts but that seems to be a global setting; you can't say send e-mails through Exchange, but rules use a POP account :)