This Board Is Too Slow

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pagemakers

This is a great board but I find it very very slow, no matter how many users are on it.

I am connecting from the UK using ADSL and it is still slow.

Is it just me?

Guest Paul [MVP]

I've just uploaded some major changes to the underlying DB code (and updated the DB accordingly).

Speed should be noticeably better now... Hard for me to tell as I'm on ISDN, and my work proxy is crap!

P

Guest vadonald

Speed seems okay here, but then this is on a 2Gig link, only time that I noticed the board slowing down was when everyone was reading and adding 'me too' to the 'where is the update' thread, or should that be threads.

Vince

No.

No.

No.

:) Seems a bit slow at the moment, but this may just be my connection. Will see tonight, when the boards tend to get slow. Last night was alright for me

Guest Paul [MVP]

No way Firaas, it really is blazing along for me, even on a slow connection.

Just for fun also, try loading it in Mozilla (mozilla.org) or Opera, and marvel at the speed.

P

PS Also download Orbit skin for Mozilla!

Guest vluther

hello all,

this is the little hamster that runs Paul's server.. I'm tweaking some settings with apache and mysql to try to increase performance.. but it seems the problem is more with HTML Rendering.. the number of tables and number of images etc are killing it.. just to give you an idea of what we're working on..

1. Tux server for images, all images will be served off there.

2. Better DB design.

I know it can't be the bandwidth.. as the site is on the same network as microsoft.com, and the XP activation boxes.. mucho bandwidth here.

can you guys tell me what is slow ?.. just the page loading ?.. and if so all pages or mostly when you're reading ? or when writing ?.. it could be querying the db for messages is killing it. so we could optimize the select statements etc.

PS: Anyone else here from the US ? :).

I mostly have problems with reading.

Occasionally the images load slow, but usually the progress bar of IE flicks through, and the screen stays white. Then almost all of the page suddenly pops up.

On other occasions, the top images show up, and the rest of the page loads several seconds later.

I'm on 512k adsl.

Guest vluther
I mostly have problems with reading.

Occasionally the images load slow, but usually the progress bar of IE flicks through, and the screen stays white. Then almost all of the page suddenly pops up.

On other occasions, the top images show up, and the rest of the page loads several seconds later.

I'm on 512k adsl.

this is definately a rendering problem. It shows that apache has sent the browser the page, but the browser doesn't know how to display it yet. Do you have the latest version of IE ? .

Also, try looking through a different browser, I'm pretty sure it's a client side issue rather than a server side, if so.. we'll try to come up with a more "crappy browser" friendly version of the forum :).

Guest Pagemakers

We are using XP SR1 with IE6. P4 2.7G 512M Ram, ADSL connection.

I visit a lot of other sites that use this BB software (PHPBB www.phpbb.com) and they are all at least 5 times fater than this.

The problem is definately not at my end.

PS: Just tried viewing with Netscape 7 at that's even worse!

this is definately a rendering problem. It shows that apache has sent the browser the page, but the browser doesn't know how to display it yet. Do you have the latest version of IE ? .

Also, try looking through a different browser, I'm pretty sure it's a client side issue rather than a server side, if so.. we'll try to come up with a more "crappy browser" friendly version of the forum :).

It seems to be still downloading the page as the green bar is still loading, and the bottom doesn't say done.

I'm patched up! I have IE 6 with SP1 on XP with SP1!

Guest vluther

slow little me didn't realize another problem.. where apache was slowing down due to a filesize limit of 2 gb.. and thats where the logs were at.. sorry.. this has dropped the load considerably on the server.. how does it feel for you guys now ? It's running faster for me..