Poll: Would you buy Custom Faces for the SPV?

Guest MISMan

Greetings,

A business colleague and I are bouncing around the idea of getting and selling custom front replacements for the SPV. Just to be clear, they would be SPV front half of the cover (and potentially the back one) that would be EXPERTLY painted custom colors with special durable paint and would include the necessary instructions on how to replace. We already have a relationship with HTC and can get the parts directly from them, and the partner I have also has been known in the PPC field for making custom modifications and making very good money at it - many times customizing HTC's work.

Our question is this:

Would you buy a Custom front in the color of your choice for the SPV?

Would you prefer to buy the front and back together, or just the front alone?

What would you be willing to pay for a custom front?

Guest HelloDave

Is there a "no" option? Also, why would anyone buy a cover only if it cost them more than £20? :wink:

Personally I don't really see the point of changing covers - I don't really want mickey mouse on my SPV, but I might consider buying an identical replacement cover because the original HTC ones are so cr*p and scratch if you breathe on them! That means a replacement would have to have a much more durable finish than the originals so you can put your SPV in a pocket and expect it to come out unblemished. :)

Guest alexknight

anyone got any plans to do someting about the wear on the buttons? my home, back, call and hang up buttons look battered already, i have had the fone since november but still i am a little disapointed about the durability of the paint finish on the whole phone.

If you could get modified face plates with little tanager style joysticks I would definitely be in the market.

i agree, that is the only way i would buy one. i dont care about different colors, it looks fine the way it is. i just want one with an updated joystick and buttons. its possible!

where's no? this is not a nokia dude phone. its a high tech gadget for real men (yeah ok, thats too much - but the part about nokia is serious!).

i would never buy any covers for it. i never did that to my childhood nokia phones.

cheers, lutz

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

Do one in fluorescent green and you've got a buyer here :)

Been thinking about painting it myself, but I'm far too cack-handed (and I don't want to make it any more ugly than it already is)

Guest Southwestwall

Nice idea, but maybe a limited market... :?

Its not exactly a snap-on job. Even those daring enough to prise their SPV apart so far have reported the consumate ease with which it can be damaged.

I've never opened mine so can't comment with certainty, although I have seen the pics of a dismantled one.

Maybe the SPVx front/controls would be an attractive option, if the buttons and nav pad are swappable.

Many people could then plump for a style conversion without a handset change.

Hmmm, following on from that, I wonder just how the display is attached. SPVx TFT upgrade option?

Probably a scary proposition for the ham-fisted and faint-hearted! I'm PACE certified and trained to ESA/NASA standard in micro-pcb work and I'd think twice about fiddling with the SPV's guts... especially outside of an ESD workstation.

I definitely think the SPVx conversion is worth a look though :)

Regards

I'll take the pink with bright green and blue polka dots.

Maybe a spvx like base so it looks less like an ice-cream cone and more like a phone.

But realistically, how on earth can it be done. I've looked myself, and can't find any way to open it up with standard tools. Hence, no marketable product. I'd like to know if I'm wrong though?!?!?!?!

Guest pibrahim

I don't understand why quite a few people are opposed to it?

Have you not seem the amount of scratches the SPV picks up so quickly? The paint literally just flakes off. I'd buy a (decent quality) replacement facia as soon as possible, provided it wasn't a garish colour or anything.

Guest spacemonkey

I would only buy one if it were to fix button promlems and or scratches on the screen.

And the button problems. Is it the buttons that go bad or the microswitches they push onto? if it's the microswitches then I thing there'd be little hope of fixing it. The joystick idea is nice, but that would involve more than just replacing the faceplate/keypad, you'd have to change the core elctronics a bit...

Yeah I would buy a cover if it had a new joystick! Otherwise no. I rekon colour covers are a bit of a kids thing and this isnt really a kids phone...

The phone stands out enough as it is anyway.

But how about making a decent leather case for it! The standard one is horrible. Looks like a glasses case!

Guest cyrilthefish

it's probably asking too much, but how about an aluminium plated cover like on the siemens SL45? that cover was virtually bullet-proof! :)

but i would definately buy a replacement cover, mine has loads of paint missing because of scratches ;)

a silver one but with more scratch-proof paint would be excellent!

Again I would by an aluminium plated cover, as already stated that would hopefully make it bullet proof. :) I think you'd find a market for that type of cover. I wouldn't buy any sort of other cover.

My current cover is full of marks, loss of paint. ;)

However that could have been sorted if Orange had produced a decent leather holder instead of the s**t case they shipped with the SPV. :evil:

If the market / feasability is there, we will do it. I am checking in to the feasability of the aluminum / steel right now. My feeling is that the only feasible way to do the metal would be to have a metal "cutout" that would merely skin the top. I also am not comfortable with the electrical limitations / issues that might arise with a metal cover versus a skin.

Please continue to post thoughts. We will probably have a go / no go decision very soon.

Cheers.

Guest Shuflie

The siemens SL45 had a lovely metal casing. It also had an external aerial, think about it. I think metal look or a metal half-shell will be the best you could hope for, anything more and the phone could be rendered useless as a phone.

I would really love to have a metal case for my SPV. Mine is not very old and I have taken good care of it. But I keep having nightmares about dropping it, though I have not... yet. I am really in hopes you will produce some sort of replacement casing, or else we will have a lot of sad SPV owners in time.

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
The siemens SL45 had a lovely metal casing. It also had an external aerial, think about it. I think metal look or a metal half-shell will be the best you could hope for, anything more and the phone could be rendered useless as a phone.

Aww, don't get me started on the SL45 :) what a phone, really ace. And that brushed-steel casing used to give me funny dreams, it did :wink:

EDIT: I'd pay good money for a quality brushed-steel front (and back?) for the SPV. It'd be a tough job to machine it with any kind of accuracy, though, and it would have to be *perfect*...