Mods - a suggestion

Guest Richie M

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@zeta101

Filter out?

Dude we are comfortable posting replies in Tag-lish (Tagalog-English combination) at the Pinoy Section of this forum :)

If you have trouble understanding our replies, feel free to PM me and I won't be annoyed to interpret them for you.

Mabuhay ang Pinoy!!! 8)

Peter

Proud Pinoy Member

Guest kat_thee

Hi! Im new to this forum :) I think the Pinoy Forum is dedicated to Filipino users that's why I think we're free to express ourselves in our native language as long as we obey the rules of modaco. We have also our Filipino moderators to keep the forum organized and clean. They also willing to answer all your question if ever there is something to comprehend about the topic. Filter out the Pinoy Forum? Hmmm... It would not be fair to us. :wink:

Guest morpheus2702

Is the size and activity of the forum a function of what's happening in the Smartphone world?

In my opinion, between the release of the E200 and C500, there wasn't a great deal happening on the forum, simply because there wasn't anything to talk about apart from conjecture and guesswork.

Now, given that Smartphones seem to be multiplying like rabbits, the forum size has similarly increased?

If that reasoning is correct, then maybe the answer is to be much more zealous with partitioning MoDaCo into device-specific sections. Does it work on Nokia forums given the billions of different phones (admittedly the same one in a different case) they have?

sorry if ive offended anyone, i wasnt going to say anything because there are always people who get the wrong end of the stick with such things *sigh*.... I fully embrace all things multicultural, infact i think its the best thing about online forums!!!

@dinoalbert, awarner etc...

When i said filter out i meant as a chooseable option for each user (ie a check box in preferences or something)...so when you do a search (or when you make use of the "View posts since last visit" option you dont get pinoy results coming up). From the replies ive got you dont seem to get what i mean, i hope that cleared it up on what "filter out" meant, i dont mean to fully seperate the pinoy community because as you said its still a wealth of info, and the site is mutlicultural!!!!

I have NO problem with you guys speaking in your own language in your forum, thats what its there for and you have the same right as everyone else to speak in your native language :) but what im talking about is someone might post with an english title (and sometimes put the whole post in english) but then replies are not in english. On other forums ive been on its considered rude to speak another language when the original post is in different one. Im not trying to oppress anyone or demand everyone speaks english (ie. the filter i mentioned would not do this)...i hope you can all see this, particularly awarner and kat_thee, who seem to think otherwise :? :lol:

I like to lurk on the forums, and just read topics that interest me so i can learn, and then help people with similar problems when they come up, when a thread has gotten into a conversation i dont like to post and say "hey, can someone translate the past 10 replies please" :lol: i think it would be a pain for someone to have to do that really...id actually like to learn a few things about tag-lish, it seems interesting how its so intermixed with english, do you just replace some pinoy words with english ones now and then, or is there more to it than that?

PS, what does Mabuhay ang Pinoy mean? :lol:

oh and dinoalbert to answer a couple of your points, yes when you use the search you can see if a post is in the pinoy forum, but when i has an english title it means i know what its about, and it might be something im interested in, so will take a look anyway :) and the nederlands/dansk forums dont have this problem because they post thier thread titles in thier native languages the good majority of the time (and also thier forums arent as active hehe :lol:)

Guest ustguitarista

hi zeta101, i think there's nothing wrong posting the topics of pinoy forum in english. at least people will know what we are talking about, and maybe if you are interested with the topic the pinoys brought out, maybe you can post a reply in the thread and for sure the filipino community in modaco will be glad to speak in english for that topic you want to discuss... it's a pinoy forum, expect that most of the time we use our own language to be more comfortable in expressing what we want to say. and again, it's a forum, dedicated to pinoy users, you're free to join us there if you want to and we'll be glad to reply to you in english so that you can relate to the filipino friends here in modaco.

so if you have problems with the pinoy threads, then don't open it. if you want to join us there, then go ahead, nothing to worry, our filipino moderators here are keeping the pinoy forum, clean and in order.

mabuhay ang pinoy = long live the filipinos

Guest lukeap69
oh and dinoalbert to answer a couple of your points, yes when you use the http://smartphone.modaco.com/search.php>Search you can see if a post is in the pinoy forum, but when i has an english title it means i know what its about, and it might be something im interested in, so will take a look anyway :) and the nederlands/dansk forums dont have this problem because they post thier thread titles in thier native languages the good majority of the time (and also thier forums arent as active hehe :lol:)

hi zeta101,

if it is in pinoy, then maybe it's not for you. if there are threads in english, maybe others may relate on those topics. even if a pinoy language is inserted in that english titled thread, then again maybe it is for others (pinoy). as others offered here, if you want translation, feel free to ask & you might get one (you should because pinoys are very hospitable).

if you compare the pinoy forums to other, then maybe pinoys want to share something to others that's why it's in english.

lukeap

Guest dinoalbert

HI Zeta thanks for the PM and the reply.

Ok to make things clear why we Pinoys speak Tag-Lish, or why you see English-written subject titles but "taglish" in the posts.....it is because Pinoys naturally speak English-Pinoy combo. Thats a fact here in the Philippines and for unknown reason also for me, it just comes natural. Its been happening ever since. We cant help it I must admit. And I believe no one can change that :) . Probably because we have long been an American colony in the past. We have also been a Japanese and Spanish colony but America has the biggest influence to the Philippines.

It is also a fact that the Philippines is the "largest" English-speaking nation in Asia. Almost every Filipino can speak the language since childhood, practiced in every Filipino home and taught in school as early as kindergarten/preschool.

So Im sorry if you find it strange in the Pinoy Section. Its just the way things are for us. I hope you understand now :lol:

Btw, about Taglish, yes we do simply replace Pinoy words with English. I dont know also how or why...but it does just happen naturally. :lol:

cheers!

aaah, i thought it was just certain pinoy people who could speak english and that it was some kind of internet slang that had evolved with people including english words. I can understand how it evloved though, i have a friend from mauritius, and because of various colonies etc that have been there they speak a hybrid of a few langauges, french, afrikaans, hindi and a bit of english too!

ill endevour to pop into pinoy threads more often, will have to need help with what it says :) i dont think you can get online translators for tagalog can you?