Microsoft / MoDaCo Event - Please Register!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest awarner [MVP]
And just for the record...I dont look like my avatar... :-)

despite recieving an email from someone from this forum telling me I look HOT !!!

someone didnt look at my profile where it says MALE  :roll:

Go on who was it?? you can tell me :)

Guest pxtigermoon

I agree with Paul Mottley:

Why hold it at a small village like London anyway?  

Why not go for somewhere central, like Leicester where I live!!  :)

Though I'm quite happy with the London *area*, there is now, depending on location etc. things like the Congestion Charge to cope with... etc...

My immediate thought would be perhaps to host it in a nice conference suite somewhere off the M1... not wishing to name-drop but places like Travelodge etc. have good deals for conferences / accommodation... just my 2p worth - but might be worth a look at.

I'm disabled, so train travel is not possible. I'm also a coward. So driving anywhere in London (etc) is also not possible. But other than that lot, yeah, I'll be there, ABW.

P.

Let's not all say 'I want it in my town/city' London is a fair trek for most people, but i'm sure it will be worth the travelling.

pxtigermoon : If it's in London, I for one, and am sure of others, would be able to help ensure you can get to the location.

Will

Yeah thats a point, im not from london. So (as would many other members im sure) wouldnt mind meeting someone at a train station to get to the meeting place as otherwise ill get lost!!!

Guest pxtigermoon
pxtigermoon : If it's in London, I for one, and am sure of others, would be able to help ensure you can get to the location.  

That's very kind. And who am I to argue with someone who has a pic of a guy holding a cocked gun at me as his avatar!?

Seriously though - driving *most* of the way wouldn't be a problem - just not into London. Unless anyone WANTS to pick me up on the way??

The M25 is a LONG road. And even LONGER when in traffic. *sigh*.

But, all jesting aside, I thank you for the kind offer of assistance.

P.

Guest pete1312

Why the **** suggest London?

Ignoring Congestion Charges as a possible arguement against (plus numerous incidental expenses), and accepting that they MAY be building the new Wembley Stadium there, what's wrong the the Midlands?

Hey, it's the middle of the country!

So where are all you MoDaCo Members from? Have we got the Postcode Database up and running yet? how many Members have even posted their home country, let alone their county and post code? (and gender :wink: )

Guest spacemonkey

OK... a couple of minor points re London...

The Congestion Charge... doesn't this apply only during the day on work days? It certainly doesn't apply evening/overnight so can someone check whether it applies at weekends?

Also, the event has to be held somewhere... if it's a success then I imagine that other events may occur and may even be in other places, and at the end of the day, wherever is chosen as a location I'm sure a lot of people won't be able to come cos it's not convenient to them. So the best bet is what Paul's done, to pick a location and invite everyone who can/wants to come. If you can't come, then maybe some future event will meet your needs...

It is only meeting people from the forum and listening to a couple of unspecified speakers... if you don't go, the world will not end.

Guest Firaas
Yeah thats a point, im not from london. So (as would many other members im sure) wouldnt mind meeting someone at a train station to get to the meeting place as otherwise ill get lost!!!

Also think it may be a good idea to do "premeet"s in major areas - Manchester for example, where according to the memberlist, we have 18 registered users who have disclosed their location.

Anyone up for meeting in Manchester then taking the train down?

Guest Firaas
Also, the event has to be held somewhere... if it's a success then I imagine that other events may occur and may even be in other places, and at the end of the day, wherever is chosen as a location I'm sure a lot of people won't be able to come cos it's not convenient to them.  So the best bet is what Paul's done, to pick a location and invite everyone who can/wants to come.  If you can't come, then maybe some future event will meet your needs...

I agree.

Also, if it wasn't places as major as Manchester/London/Edinburgh, then they would probably be difficult to get to for many members who aren't driving.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I knew this problem would come up...

Unfortunately, you can't please everyone all of the time.

London IS a fairly easy place to get to for most people (being the capital, most roads lead to there!), and so I thought was a good choice.

More importantly tho, we have been offered free facilities there. If the event was to be held anywhere else, it would incur costs, which would have to be met by you guys - I don't make any money off the site to pay for it!

Having it on a Saturday should help from a time point of view...

P

Guest awarner [MVP]

Let's stop this "I don't want to go to London" crap, Who's organising this? Paul is. That's where he wants to do it, is it going to cost you? NO just your time and travel, a small price for a free event. Just be grateful that somone is putting the time in to make this happen.

If it works and is a success why don't YOU have a go next time, then you can arrange where to have it :evil:

Right rant over

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

And thirded. You don't have to go, and no-one's stopping people having personal meets. Big up to Paul for making this happen, London's a fair trip for me but i'll be there (its the free food that did it) all the same.

"]...(being the capital, most roads lead to there!)...

Common misconception, all roads actually lead ~away~ form London, its just people go along them the wrong way...

;p

Guest Anonymous

I still think it should be outside of London, it's a big country and the law of averages tell me all members don't live in London- so make it easier for all . There is more chance of greater numbers.

It goes back to the whole issue of the National stadium, why make it accessable to only the south of the country- doesn't make sense?

Just a thought....

Guest Anonymous

I don't mean to moan , I guess I'm sore about the National Stadium more than anything.

I'm still getting over how great this forum is and how useful it's been to everybody.

Thumbs up :)

Guest spacemonkey
it's a big country and the law of averages tell me all members don't live in London-

Are you sure you know what the law of averages is?

For instance, three statisticians are out hunting, the first one shoots at a duck but misses, his bullet going 1 foot too high. The second one shoots at the same duck but also misses, his bullet going 1 foot too low. The third one exclaims "Yes, we got him".

Just a point, we have members in america, how about holding the event in Seattle, I'm sure that would be more convenient for everyone involved.

Guest Matt Whitfield

awarner, unless you can fly into City airport I don't think it'll be worth it somehow! Anyway, the trains to Southhampton aren't that bad are they? Although I guess the last train might not be all that late though...

Guest awarner [MVP]

Matt I was refering to spacemonkey's post of having the meet in Seattle :)

not from Southampton I'll either drive or train, can't decide on which yet.

Guest Anonymous

I know around 10 people up in Edinburgh with SPV's who are willing to come down for this.....we'll go by plane and have fights with the cabin crew about the whole "radio on/off" thing lol!!!

Meeting you guys in person.....it should be a laugh lol.

Spacde Cowboy

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Depends whereabouts in London it is, if theres congestion and parking charges it's probably cheaper to train and taxi it...

Guest Anonymous

and i've just noticed my whole statistics thing 9name avitar etc) has just turned to guest....wot have i done wrong now lol?